Arrested for carrying a plastic knife to a fancy dress party

LarryH57

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Who rattled your cage,get back in that tanker otherwise some of us will die of old age before we see it.

I have seriously thought about the satnav dilema as a new trip is in the planning.

I think it would remove to much of the risk factor therefore the fear and the relief when you get it right.

You need to walk a close line with the hearafter to really feel life.

ask any one in the rescue services.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jack's point about avoiding insults is valid as they take away from the serious point I was making which is watch out, be careful in what you do as everyone seems to be super sensative to anything out of the ordinary. Just because I don't agree with the actions the Police took over the matter doesn't mean I have anything against those Policemen. Its how they are organised and given 'targets' by the Home Office that I don't like.

In point of fact in the Spring I was stopped and searched by the Police as part of an anti -terrorist campaign as I left the London Underground on my way to a meeting in London. As an Englishman dressed in a suit and tie with briefcase and brolly I hardly looked like Al-Queda but I didn't mind and we parted as friends, especially when they thanked me for my 'complete understanding and acceptance' that they had to stop a cross section of the community rather than stop just men of a particular race & religion and be acused of being racist!

First of all - PM’s have been sent and received and excepted -

I will apologise for going off the deep end - but understand - I get very upset when my profession is classed as brainless.

The Fire, Police and Ambulance service have, like everyone else got to play by the rules. Believe it or not, I have to use safe access and fall arrest systems when I spend a pro-longed time working from a ladder. I think it’s a pain in the butt but then again, the rules and regulations are there for my own protection so I can’t really moan about it.

We are all aware and have been subjected to over zealous reps from Health and Safety. Although a pain, where would we be without any rules and regulations? I would imagine a lot more of us would have been injured or worse killed whilst carrying out our professions.

Take War and Peace for example. Can you imagine the consequences of no rules? I am sure we all saw the OT being driven around like a machine possessed. It nearly took out my tent and a member of public. Yes, the rules can be over-powering but they are there for all our safety and protection.

Catweazle is right when he points out there are many un-sung professions out there for whom they get no recognition. Fishermen, breakdown mechanics, etc, etc. I could list hundreds of professions that do not get the recognition they deserve.

I do my job because I enjoy it and it is a challenge. I could get on my soap box and say how I want to provide a service and save people and property - very honourable - but push come to shove I do it because I enjoy it.

In relation to the incident with the plastic knife and the Police should have realised he was going to a fancy dress, etc. It’s worth remembering the incident in Hungerford some years ago - as I recall - the bloke was dressed as Rambo before he went on a mad killing spree with an AK47.

I still stand by my comments in that if the guy was silly enough to walk down the road carry a knife of any description, what did he expect to happen. In today’s climate and the media attention on knife crime, I would have thought the chap could have exercised a bit more brain matter in what he did. As pointed out, what was the guy actually doing to draw attention to the fact he was carrying a knife in the first place. It is silly and irresponsible actions like this, which will lead to a clampdown on our hobbies and interests.

Now lastly, words have been written that did offend me as a member of the emergency services - apologies have been sent and accepted - I more than you may think agree with some of the words written in relation to over-zealous H & S representatives. They can actually cause more trouble than they are trying to prevent.

So enough of this and lets get back to the issue -

I think the chap with the knife could have used a bit more common-sense or were the Police over zealous in the manor they dealt with him?

Markheliops

PS - If anyone sees me chasing Catweazle at the next show, it because he didn’t sugar my tea.

Hmm, I'm a Civil Servant - but not one of the emergency services, and I spend all day dealing with people who are generally not pleased to see my colleagues and I.

I have to say that if one of them brandished a knife or something that looked like a knife at me, I would be inclined to assume the worst (no body armour in my job!)

If I subsequently found out that the offending item was, in fact, harmless - I can't say for sure how long it would take for my sense of humour to return.........

First of all - PM’s have been sent and received and excepted -

Take War and Peace for example. Can you imagine the consequences of no rules? I am sure we all saw the OT being driven around like a machine possessed. It nearly took out my tent and a member of public.

If memory serves - there was only one OT at the W&P show and that was mine.... And I don't recall nearly taking your tent mate ?????????

Other than that there was Duncans BMP-1 and a BPM from Slovakia.....

If memory serves - there was only one OT at the W&P show and that was mine.... And I don't recall nearly taking your tent mate ?????????

Neil I think this maybe the vehicle Mark is refering to.

Picture229.jpg

I will apologise for going off the deep end - but understand - I get very upset when my profession is classed as brainless.

Mark I can see no reason for you to apologize for what you have written and I do think its time that some forum members think before they write on here. There does seem to be few members that are not happy unless they are winding others up and I think its about time they grow up or ship out and let the rest of us enjoy the forum with out all the B__S__.

Mark I can see no reason for you to apologize for what you have written and I do think its time that some forum members think before they write on here. There does seem to be few members that are not happy unless they are winding others up and I think its about time they grow up or ship out and let the rest of us enjoy the forum with out all the B__S__.

Hi Ian,I couldnt agree with you more.Winding up for wind up sake is very boring.

On the other hand if its a genuine discusion about current affairs i think its justified.You could never acuse me of being a wind up merchant,not that i am saying you are.

I think the fact that some members talk about a wide variety of subjects that are not related to military vehicles only adds to the strength of the forum,

Out of interest i have made a study of the members that could be by some people accused of being wind up merchants.

Believe it or not they have posts in the thousands So it cant be all bad.

I look forward to your next article on Newtons First Law of Motion,

i am still strugling with the fact that Mass is a Measure of inertia.And the slug is used as the base measurement of Gravity.Just for fun good luck with your collecting this wk end.:-DCW.

I.

In point of fact in the Spring I was stopped and searched by the Police as part of an anti -terrorist campaign as I left the London Underground on my way to a meeting in London. As an Englishman dressed in a suit and tie with briefcase and brolly I hardly looked like Al-Queda but I didn't mind and we parted as friends, especially when they thanked me for my 'complete understanding and acceptance' that they had to stop a cross section of the community rather than stop just men of a particular race & religion and be acused of being racist!

I think we all share the same fears,i find the fact that you can be stopped and searched without due cause very worrying.

Also the fact they had to stop a cross section so as to appear not to be racist even more worrying.The fact that you were thanked for your complete understanding and acceptance and its the acceptance word i have a problem with really worrying.i would not of been able to accept this situation if it had happened to me without probably making matters worse.

Things like this are to let the public see something is being done its a public relations exercise.

Inteligence is the only way to make progress on this problem,it was intelegence that made the most difference during ww2.

Sorry Neil

Meant the loon from Slovakia -

Not our very own loon.

Markheliops

I am afraid that the Police are dammed if they do dammed if they don't. The vast majority of the Police do a thankless job but there are a few who perhaps would be better off in Jack boots! I have friends in the Police Force and also a local beat officer who has a strange out look. I can't say too much as my location appears at the top of my postings. Common sence is NOT always that common.

A traffic cop in Brum in the 60's stopped a taxi driver under a section of the stage coach act that was last used in 1830 something. It went to court and the taxi driver was fined 1 penny (old money) as that was the original fine. The officer was then given a dressing down for wasting the courts time. Didn't do him too much harm because he became a Chief Inspector!

Mind how you go.

Phil.

I've read this thread with interest and my belief is the Police acted wrongly, I've walked down the street with a chain saw before and most have seen or heard of the film " Texas Chainsaw massacre". Should I have been stopped and arrested !!!!.If you open up the back doors of my van you will see an whole arsenal of deadly weapons Screwdrivers Chisels,Knives etc which I often walk around with as well as driving a deadly weapon the Van it's self everyday.

I keep seeing this sort of public scaring propaganda all the time and it makes me sick. I think we are if not at the moment turning this country into a Nanny State. An incident like this Rambo guy just make the police look foolish in my and many others eyes. God help all those re-enactors my self included that attend shows with loads of weapons and in full kit including the leg knife and colt 1911 strapped to my side!!.

As for the Police themselves I've had dealings with a few Gestapo type police officer in the past as well as some really decent honest Police officers, who are willing to use Common sence when an incident arises and not the I'm God tactics.

Just my opinion and not aimed at any Individual :shake::shake:

regards

Steve

In 1994 I was in London on holiday.

One evening (it was dark) I walked past a Police checkpoint carrying a tripod and camera.

I got called over by the Police who wanted to know what I was doing and my Passport when I said I was a tourist.

Back then I had long hair and wore a black leather coat.

When I asked why they checked me they said I might be taken photographs with professional cameragear of targets for the IRA to bomb... (the camera was a East German practica...)

Maybe in the dark they noticed the reddish glow in my hair which made me look like a Irishman?

Good thing they were on their guard but, come on!, Why go out in the dark to take pics of targets when its easier and less conspicious as a tourist in the daytime?

Also I would make sure I'd draw less attention to myself by looking like a average Joe, not like a Heavy Metal Photopit cameraman...

Guess I should be thankful no rubber glove was used.

Still, the guy should observe some common sense and Police, Firemen and such do a sometimes unthankful but important job.

Sad fact: The Blue Lamp was the film 'pilot' if you will, to Dixon albeit **SPOILER ALERT**:-D Dixon gets shot and killed by Dirk Bogarde's villan in the end of the film.

As a silly aside, At our marina we often have visits form various police/government depts (depending on who is dealing with immigration at the time (It was even trading standards at one time!!))

On one occasion it was CID and two plain clothed officers came in and had a chat, upon leaving they gave us their cards, I looked at one and he was Det.Insp. Jack Warner, I looked at him and again at the card and was just about to say something and he jumped in with "Don't say anything!":-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:Great story tugger.do you sell diesel if so are you selling less.

We do, It's a bit soon to tell really but it doesn't seem to have changed things that much. A fair few of our motor cruisers filled up before the 1st but the yachts are filling as usual. It's naturally quieter now due to laying up anyway. A lot of the owners are opting for the 60%-40% split between engine running and heating as suggested by HMRC so that helps keep the cost down.

We do, It's a bit soon to tell really but it doesn't seem to have changed things that much. A fair few of our motor cruisers filled up before the 1st but the yachts are filling as usual. It's naturally quieter now due to laying up anyway. A lot of the owners are opting for the 60%-40% split between engine running and heating as suggested by HMRC so that helps keep the cost down.

I filled mine up ,worried about this 60/40 split,if you get jumped you have to prove it,as i have no heating goner be a bit difficult.what i find amazing is even if you pay the full amount you still have to make a decleration.somebody sound the last post.:argh:

Sorry not to have replied earlier Catweazle but I have been repairing the Hippo after a brake seal started to leak and annoited the front shoes etc, and we were going to use it on the Poppy collections and parade. Sorted it and went out with boots blacked for the 15th year.

'Mind how you go' I think it was Dixon of Dock Green. Highway Patrol had several. 'Leave your Blood at the Blood Bank not on the highway.'

'It's not the wheel that's loose it's the nut behind it!' being the most memorable and of course, 'Just be careful out there.' from NYPD Blue.

I got stopped on a routine check and breatherlised a few months ago. The officer took out the meter and said "Have you seen one of these before sir?" Now have you ever said something and as you were saying it you wish you weren't. I said "Yes on the Bill!" He said "Ah, but this one is real and our cells don't have walls that shake when you slam the door sir!" He then said "Blow into here until I say stop." He did say stop but not until both lungs collapsed my eye balls exploded and I lost control of my bladder!

He then said. "Thank you sir, your result was negative so you can be home in time for the Bill." I weazed "Thank you officer." and drove off with the window open trying to gulp in some good old Black Country air.

Phil.

Crikey highway patrol,broderick crawford,ten four.

Good story mate didnt realise they could breath test you without due course'

I think i would have to refuse due to my coronary heart disease

most days have only just about got enough air for myself.Cheers CW.