Arrested for carrying a plastic knife to a fancy dress party

LarryH57

While we are staggering off down memory lane. don't forget Z Cars! The cars were cut in half so the camera sat behind the actors. Anyone else old enough to remember Mother being glued to Emergency Ward 10 and No Hiding Place? Perhaps Car54 would be more relevant?

Oh yes..... And Hogans Heroes.........

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Z cars 4wd zodiacs,using the ferguson formula.i went to look at one at John Richards.any one remember him,apart from nick johns.They didnt like going round corners and had a nasty habit of going straight on.It was to far gone for me.would be rare now.

They were used for the police in the north of england,maybe ford didnt build them,they may of been converted after leaving the factory,anyone know?

Advanced thinking for the 1960's. could the county lot have something to do with it? They are into Ford 4wd conversions.

No, Harry Ferguson set up Ferguson Research after he sold out to Massey Harris. It was to develop 4wd cars, first one was in the Sixties, Jenson FF (FF meaning Ferguson Formula). Apparantly they did build Granada 4wd cars for the police, bit later than the Zodiac though. I think the Opel Commodore was also converted by them, once worked on a SOXMIS one and it was 4wd.

The company later renamed FF Developments. Their design was a bit more advanced than County at that time.

Just had a quick Google & found that there were 22 mkIV Zephyrs built with FF 4WD & Dunlop Maxaret brakes in 1968 to a Home Office order . 20 were supplied marked as police cars for evaluation along with a standard Zephyr 6 for comparison . The cars weren't taken up as they were £1000 more than the standard model & the Range Rover had just been launched so became a more economic option .

Just had a quick Google & found that there were 22 mkIV Zephyrs built with FF 4WD & Dunlop Maxaret brakes in 1968 to a Home Office order . 20 were supplied marked as police cars for evaluation along with a standard Zephyr 6 for comparison . The cars weren't taken up as they were £1000 more than the standard model & the Range Rover had just been launched so became a more economic option .

Thanks Dave, all I could find was Granada, for the police.

Also the 4wd Bedford CF was built with FF design, don't think it had any military use though :confused:

At least one of the Zephyrs has been restored & still being shown . I saw one of the FF equipped CF's for sale on eBay a while ago - talked myself out of persuing it , tempting as the thought was . It was pretty rotten - well , it was a CF - ex electricity board , don't remember which one now .

:tup::cw its amazing what one man and a plastic knife are responsable for init .

Think we went a bit off-topic ..........no one gave us the :nono:

:-D:-D:-D

Isnt that why its so much better on here.The blokes got fined £80,i have nearly had a punch up with Mark,and now we are on Zodiacs and CFs,couldnt be better.:-D

Yes, great is'nt it? And we get to talk about all sorts of old rubbish (CF's :-D)

What about CAs,you didnt have to turn around and look they allways had the front bumper ratlling,They all seemed to be blue,but had turned purple looked like they had been cleaned with oily rag all colours of the rainbow.:shake:

Just remembered we had CF crew buses on thames concervancy wooden bench seats in the rear.They were 2.2 ohc.3 speed box went like stink.had to watch out you didnt go into reverse instead of 2nd.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

What about CAs,you didnt have to turn around and look they allways had the front bumper ratlling,They all seemed to be blue,but had turned purple looked like they had been cleaned with oily rag all colours of the rainbow.:shake:

I well remember the CA, where I was an apprentice, our fleet was mainly Bedfords for the first few years, we even had a CA truck with gantry crane on, like the Austin K6 only smaller. None had heaters and we would have to go out on field service throughout the year :shake:.

Now you say, yes the rattle does come to mind.