Keep "this day in History"?

Joris

Do you want to keep the "This day in history" board?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to keep the "This day in history" board?

• Yes
    • No

I voted to keep this section, as while only a few post in it, I'm sure many read it, and I think it's good to be reminded of history. Those that forget it, repeat it.

For those who do post, rather than just a date as the title, perhaps a little more clue to what happened may entice more people to look. Sometimes when I've just seen a date posted, I don't always look at the thread. I need something to tease my curiosity.

Steve

I think the board needs to be used correctly, whilst some may post stuff on it, the stuff needs to be informative and not just "lifted" from somewhere else that has a date, give it some beef, some meaning not just on this date blah, blah !!!

I vote keep it.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

i say keep ,but it would be nice to know why the space is needed.iunderstand where Mark is coming from with his beef remark,but i think we need more members to participate,How many out of the 1200 actually get involved,i think we need to be carefull with any criticism and not pee off the ones that do contribute however small there contribution maybe.:coffee:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Explain???

I think its all about education,if you deny the next generation the facts you condem them to make the same mistakes again,i think this is exactly whats happening in the present climate,and rather than protect the little darlings they need to be taught ,this is what happened.

NEVER DO IT AGAIN

I voted to keep it as well, for the same reason that everyone else has said, I may not post on it but I read them each day and find them interesting and educational too.

ps rather than starting a new thread for each day, why not have a thread called 'this day in history' and add to it each time???????

Edited by rosie
added ps

For anyone reading individual posts as they are made, it makes no difference what section they are in, provided they are titled "This Day in xxxx"

However -

For anyone wanting to read up a sequence of dates it would be much more convenient if they were all in a dedicated section.

It depends whether you want to build up a user-friendly long term archive of "stuff" or just live for the moment I suppose........

Seriously, if you want to reduce the forum count, why not move all the disparate forums* for upcomming (sic) and past events into one forum? Five meetings get a sub-forum each but three meetings get a forum each.

Furthermore, all future events and meetings eventually become past events, so I do not see why there needs to be a main Future Events and Meetings forum at all, or even as a sub-forum.

* For those pedants who want to complain about the plural of the Latin word forum, there is a grammatical rule that says that the use of the Latin plural for a Latin noun is only applicable when the Latin word is used entirely in its original sense. Since these forums do not involve men sitting around in sheets surrounded by stone pillars, they are not, IMO, fora.

QED

;o)

Seriously, if you want to reduce the forum count, why not move all the disparate forums* for upcomming (sic) and past events into one forum? Five meetings get a sub-forum each but three meetings get a forum each.

Furthermore, all future events and meetings eventually become past events, so I do not see why there needs to be a main Future Events and Meetings forum at all, or even as a sub-forum.

;o)

Upcomming events are moved to past events as soon a the event has past & someone posts a show report...