Morris Light Reconnaissance Car

Rlangham

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A quick 'google' for "Night Bombers" will give you the normal blurb found on the DVD:

A unique record of the nightly air raids made on Germany during World War II. There are no actors – this is the real thing as it happened.

Contains rare archive colour footage from No. 1 Group, Royal Air Force, in action, winter 1943.

In the winter of 1943, RAF Bomber Command was sending massive raids almost every night into the heart of Germany. This is the story of one of them, an attack on Berlin, probably the most heavily defended target of them all and one which made terrible demands on the courage of the aircrew.

On the long, cold and desperately dangerous missions over Northern Germany and back to a difficult landing in wintry England, thousands of men died or suffered ghastly injuries. One must imagine that they were terrified much of the time, but there is very little sign of doubt or anxiety on the brave faces in Iliffe Cozens’ film.

Although certain scenes had to be re-created for technical reasons, make no mistake, the raid is a real one and there are no actors.

This response has also been seen:

This is an excellent film. It was shot in Spring 1945 not 1943 as implied by the sound track. RAF heavy bombers did not attack Berlin after March 1944. What it does do is give a first rate impression of a typical Bomber Command raid, which was the purpose for which Air Cdr. Cozens made the film. As colour film was hard to get in wartime Britain it is not likely that any other film on this subject exists. What the modern producers have done is cut in extra footage and added a sound track that supports the film without detracting from the original. The highlight of the film must surely be the take-off of a Lancaster filmed from alongside, this is not something I have ever seen repeated in any other film and displays Air Cdr. Cozens skill both as a pilot and camera man. In all a superb film of interest to enthusiasts and general viewer. The details of the fitting of a Rose-Rice 50 cal. turret being unique. The cover photograph is of Lancaster W4118 "Admiral Prune" of 106 Sqn. the mount of Guy Gibson later to become famous as the CO of 617 Sqn "The Dam Busters"

The ground shots would appear to be taken at RAF Hemswell. Some more footage here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWpvOxAX7E

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCcHOeHfgp0

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cQszUWcamP8

Spot the other MVs!

in the late 1960s whilst stationed at RAF Scampton we lived in an MQ at Hemswell, some years 20 + years later whilst visiting my son who was also stationed at Scampton we made a visit to Hemswell, where from the aviation history shop I purchased a copy of Night Bombers. It is an original VHS copy and it is stated it was made during the winter 1943/44. I believe this should actually read winter 44/45 into early spring 1945.

Over the winter 43/44 the airfield was closed whilst a concrete runway was the laid. The 2 operational Lancaster sqns moved in november 1944.

Although the film is attributed to Air Comm Cozens several aviation history articles have attributed it to Gp Capt Sellick who was the Station Commander at the time. Other sources quote spring 1945 as the time when the bulk of the "on station" filming was actually undertaken . Certainly work to swap the turrets on No 1 group Lancs was undertaken over the summer of 1944 and examples of that work are in the film.

Which ever it is unique footage.

THe Morris LRC is all over yellow and the runway caravan is black and white check. Many of the tractors have yellow on the upper surfaces and the Amazon crane working at the hanger entrance has a yellow upper surface on the jib. SEE attached.

I am currently putting together a document on RAF MT colours and markings. Although much has been published on the subject, I have always wanted to do the reaerch for myself. From the AMOs already in my possession lots of detail has been missed by authors who have not interpreted the documents correctly and this has led to inaccurate information repeatedly being published. Another batch of AMOs is eagerly awaited from Hendon, which I hope will resolve several issues including the compromising of camoflague schemes with both yellow and orange. Once work is complete I will post it on the forum under a new thread for comment.

I believe the crane in the attached is Khaki Green No 3 with the upper surfaces (except the jib's) in nobels dark tarmac No4. With a cam pattern to MTP 46 . Hope the attachments are of interest.

TED

DVD_20080811234720.jpg

DVD_20080811234603.jpg

DVD_20080825160114.jpg

The first Military Oddity at Detling there were two Morris LRVs. One running and a shell on its side in the woods. Alongside the shell were two piles of earth and rough wooden crosses, a couple of smoking rags in the hulk helped the effect. I for one wouldn't go into those woods after dark. :shocked: :sweat: