Morris Light Reconnaissance Car

Rlangham

Always been interested in this little armoured vehicle, does anyone know of where any survivors are? I know of four, and these are

Mk I at Bovington Tank Museum

Mk I at Duxford, in the Land Warfare Hall

Mk II at museum in Brussels (looks in bad shape)

Mk II owned privately by Ian West somewhere in the UK.

I think theres about two others privately owned in the UK at least, might be more though. Any pictures of the survivors would be good if anyone has any, i'm waiting for a model from Czechslovakia to come in the post any time soon.

Cheers, Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rob

I’m currently restoring a Mk II for a customer here in the U.S. Parts, at least in the States, are impossible to find. Generally, if I need a part I make it from scratch.

While I’m at it – has anyone out there heard of, or seen, a Perkins P6 used in a Morris?

I can’t find any engine parts and the owner is looking into changing out the engine with this engine.

While I’m at it – has anyone out there heard of, or seen, a Perkins P6 used in a Morris?

I can’t find any engine parts and the owner is looking into changing out the engine with this engine.

Hi Ratchet,

We did talk before on this vehicle. A Perkins P6 was sometimes seen in Morris Commercial trucks as a replacement for the old petrol engine, but it may have been neccesary to move the radiator forward as this engine is a six cylinder as opposed to the original being a four. You may not have much spare room in this vehicle to accomodate a longer engine. Also, the road speed will be drastically reduced as the P6 is unlikely to rev much more than 2,000, where the Morris would be near 3,500 I would think.

You were asking about a source of parts for the Morris engine, I have now remembered someone who has new parts, I am sure mainly for the four cyl. engine. It is John Walker, 52 Elmswood Gardens, Sherwood, Nottingham, NG5 4AW, tel. no. 0115 9607860 Evenings

Best of luck,

Richard

Ratchet do you have any pics? Yeah i've got some photos of Ian Wests, haven't spoke to him in ages but tried e-mailing him but the e-mails just bounced back. Theres also someone that had two Morris LRC's, one in bad condition, apparently he kept the best one and gave the other to a local museum as a gate guardian, going to snail mail him soon and see if I can find out more about that. Might be doing a book for Osprey Publishing about the Morris, won't be until I get a car though so I can get pics of as many as possible.

Always been interested in this little armoured vehicle, does anyone know of where any survivors are? I know of four, and these are

Mk I at Bovington Tank Museum

Mk I at Duxford, in the Land Warfare Hall

Mk II at museum in Brussels (looks in bad shape)

Mk II owned privately by Ian West somewhere in the UK.

I think theres about two others privately owned in the UK at least, might be more though. Any pictures of the survivors would be good if anyone has any, i'm waiting for a model from Czechslovakia to come in the post any time soon.

Cheers, Rob

There is 1 in Holland at Overloon museum.

But it has been sitting outside for 60 years and is in a terrible state.

Haven't got a photo.

Cheers, shame no one restores it theyre pretty rare! Also remembered that someone from Burma or somewhere in the far east e-mailed me a couple of years back, they found a Morris LRC in the jungle where it had been used against guerillas post-war, and was being restored for a museum.

Typical, leave your armoured car unattended while you go for a quick leak in the woods, get back and someones nicked not only your tyres, but your wheels and fenders!

Seriously though, what's with the lack of wheels and fenders, is it battle damage? I've seen a few photos of the museum there and the exterior exhibits seem to all be battle damaged, the Churchill had gone over a mine or two and the Sherman's turret was at a funny angle because of a hit

Seriously though, what's with the lack of wheels and fenders, is it battle damage?

Yes, the vehicles which were there when the museum opened intially were all battle casualties found in or around Overloon. Over the years other vehicles were added to the collection, latest addition is the complete Marshall Museum, formerly located at Zwijndrecht.

It has been many years ago since I last saw the Humber LRC, but as far as I can recall it was indeed damaged by mines. Note the rear suspension is complete gone. Mind you, many restorers would think nothing of restoring this "wreck".

Hanno

P.S. for info on the battle for Overloon, see http://www.godutch.com/windmill/newsItem.asp?id=291

Will do, should be due in the next two weeks hopefully, on Friday I got the Cromwell models 1/76 scale Morris LRC mk II, i'll build that and the TP Models 1/72 scale Morris LRC mk I together so i'll post them both up, if you ask me there the best Morris LRC's you can get in small scale (milicast one looks wrong and the Extratech one isn't fun to build and the wheels are wrong)

There is a pic of a Mk1 in Vanderveen's Fighting Vehicles Directory WW11

The Humber LRC at Overloon is wearing the markings of 61st Recon Regt

50th(TT) Northumbrian Div.

The book 'Beaten Paths Are Safest' is the story of this regiment, written by a member of the Regt and completed by his son.

The book was privately published but if anyone wants a copy PM me and I

will put you in contact with the authors son.

Cheers

Degsy

Still a very interesting vehicle, the Humber LRC, first saw one at the RAF Museum Hendon a few years ago, before then had never heard of one, although personally prefer the Morris, I really like the looks of it, it's very unusual (maybe that's why I like it)

• 2 weeks later...

Think the problem is the link itself. For example this one:

http://www.morris-recce.150m.com/My%20Pictures/Morris%20Light%20Recce%20car/Morris%20Mk%20I/rafregtmk1.jpg

doesn't work but this one does:

http://www.morris-recce.150m.com/morrislrc.jpg

So if you modify the first link to be:

http://www.morris-recce.150m.com/rafregtmk1.jpg

this works too!! All you need to do is modify the image URL's to get rid of the My%20Pictures/Morris%20Light%20Recce%20car/Morris%20Mk%20I/ text and all will be OK.

FWIW it's usually considered good practice to:

(1) NOT have any embedded spaces in a URL - this avoids all the %20 gibberish appearing and makes it easier to type a URL

(2) Store all images in a sub-folder off the root web called - strangely enough - "images" :D

• 2 years later...

Did anyone else watch the quite remarkable 'RAF at 90' on the BBC and spot the Morris LRC in bright yellow? Available still for two or three more days on BBC iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00g2545/b00gnw4w/RAF_at_90/ - watch out at about 55min 15secs

Being colour, this footage may be well known.

Can someone post a screen copy?

Can someone post a screen copy?

I could if I was permitted to view it.

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only.

Rights agreements mean that BBC iPlayer television programmes are only available to users to download or stream (Click to Play) in the UK. However, BBC Worldwide is working on an international version, which we will make available as soon as possible.