Scammell Crusader Gallery

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is a nice Crusader that lives in Leith at Alexander Latto's commercial vehicle garage. You see it out and about quite often, still working for a living. It replaced a Leyland Martian some years ago.

trucks 005.jpg

Nice Picture Davie, Good to see another in work and looking very good at that

Here is a nice Crusader that lives in Leith at Alexander Latto's commercial vehicle garage. You see it out and about quite often, still working for a living. It replaced a Leyland Martian some years ago.

ok folks,

I bought a load of photos at Belvoir Castle show last saturday,

I have put them all on my site, however, I will post a few in the relevant threads,

So, a couple of Scammell Crusaders

img370.jpg

img371.jpg

• 6 months later...
Not a Crusader, an Amazon

You are both right and wrong John, if you look at the Scammell data plate it is a model CR100 (100 ton Crusader). There are various stories about the Amazon name but Wynns CR100 fleet number 627 appeared at the 1977 Commercial Motor Show wearing a Crusader badge not Amazon.

You are both right and wrong John, if you look at the Scammell data plate it is a model CR100 (100 ton Crusader). There are various stories about the Amazon name but Wynns CR100 fleet number 627 appeared at the 1977 Commercial Motor Show wearing a Crusader badge not Amazon.

My brother bought the scammell amazon from the bnfl site at sellafield it was never registered on the road and had never left the site until we collected it . it was badged as an amazon and the handbook drivers manual all stated amazon within the text .it also had cr100 within the handbook, the staff at bnfl would not know anything about it being a cr100 amazon crusader or whatever so the name amazon must have been used by scammell

Edited by nptimber
spelling mistake

My brother bought the scammell amazon from the bnfl site at sellafield it was never registered on the road and had never left the site until we collected it . it was badged as an amazon and the handbook drivers manual all stated amazon within the text .it also had cr100 within the handbook, the staff at bnfl would not know anything about it being a cr100 amazon crusader or whatever so the name amazon must have been used by scammell

So where are the pictures ????

Totally agree with you Ben, AFAIK Stretty's J&K recovery has worn an Amazon badge from new, what I was trying to say was that Amazon was a variant of Crusader because of the CR100 on the data plate.

So when do we get a picture of Ready Brek?:-D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I remember the one with the fogs, it was a 1982 build (2 years after Roadtrain production started), ex RAF Staxton Wold, no winch, about 6500 miles and still had the protective film on the door trims and headlining. RAF reg was 78AN14 and chassis was WHV63223 making it the last but one Crusader ever built. It was cast in 1996, disposed via Aston Down and finally sold at Jackson's tender sale in 2005. The civvy reg is now EPT 532X if anyone has seen it since.:-D

I was stationed at RAF STAXTON WOLD and remember this Scammell - It was used as a prime mover for one of the moble radars sited there.

• 2 weeks later...
Daft question this.... can anyone advise on what crusaders are making on the open market??? Obviously junk starts at what it's worth for scrap/export, but what about reasonable examples and the few real good ones???

Very difficult question to answer and I suppose the old addage of "Its worth what someone is prepared to pay" is the real answer.

That said my ex forces RE35 cost a little over 3k and is in very good condition although wasnt civvy registered.

An EKA recovery will set you back anything from 6 to 14k depending on condition and how much kit it has included.

An Amazon, a much rarer beast, well that would be very condition dependent but 5k+

Obviously only my opinion but having purchased all three of the above models that opinion is based on prices paid and prices asked.

Im sure others will have other opinions and ideas

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just looking back through this thread and it doesn't look like I've posted pictures of one of the Crusaders we had at Staxton Wold (Mobile Radar, late eighties), I recently scanned the photo's in to send to Phil who now has the sister vehicle 78 AN 14.

Apologies if I've already posted these!

Scammell06.jpg

Scammell05.jpg

Scammell03.jpg

Edited by ianscales

• 2 months later...