Scammell Crusader Gallery

• 2 months later...

Crusader - Scammell or Leyland?

I have always considered the Crusader to be a Scammell product, albeit that some appear badged as Leylands.

Without wishing to upset sensitivities, how much influence did Leyland have in the design of the Crusader?

Who can explain the nuances (and the facts) surrounding the Crusader?

Where was the design work done (and by whom)?

Crusader - Scammell or Leyland?

I have always considered the Crusader to be a Scammell product, albeit that some appear badged as Leylands.

Without wishing to upset sensitivities, how much influence did Leyland have in the design of the Crusader?

Who can explain the nuances (and the facts) surrounding the Crusader?

Where was the design work done (and by whom)?

Leyland had no influence on the design, just the fact that by the end of Crusader production they "owned" Scammell and wanted their name on the front, by the time the S26 came along they realised the value of the name.

All Crusader chassis numbers are WHV (Watford Heavy Vehicle) so were all built at Tolpits Lane Scammell plant.

Leyland had no influence on the design, just the fact that by the end of Crusader production they "owned" Scammell and wanted their name on the front, by the time the S26 came along they realised the value of the name.

All Crusader chassis numbers are WHV (Watford Heavy Vehicle) so were all built at Tolpits Lane Scammell plant.

Leyland took over Scammell in 1955, long before the Crusader was introduced in 1968. Front and rear axles were Leyland group products.

Over 500 Crusaders were built at Guy Motors Wolverhampton with GHV chassis numbers.:)

Leyland took over Scammell in 1955, long before the Crusader was introduced in 1968. Front and rear axles were Leyland group products.

Over 500 Crusaders were built at Guy Motors Wolverhampton with GHV chassis numbers.:)

I stand corrected, thanks Mike.

Do you know that when Leyland took over Scammell they went through the parts stores for the older models like the explorers and rigid eights ect, removed the labels and part numbers and skipped the lot. Criminal.... I hate Layland...

Do you know that when Leyland took over Scammell they went through the parts stores for the older models like the explorers and rigid eights ect, removed the labels and part numbers and skipped the lot. Criminal.... I hate Layland...

But they were still making Explorers in 1955:???

Are you thinking of when DAF took over Scammell in 1988?They still had mountains of Constructor parts at Unipower in the early 90s when they were making the 8x8 bridging units, no one was prepared to store the parts so they went for scrap.

At one stage I worked for a company that manufactured parts for automatic transmissions.

As such we held all the stock of some parts for transmissions fitted to vehicles that were long since out of production.

These parts were what had been left over when production ceased and constituted 'no cost' to us other than storage space (of which we had oodles).

A new 'accountant' arrived and when he discovered that we had (for example) 112 years stock at current supply rates, he decided that these stocks were uneconomic (!) and that therefore they must be deleted from our stock-list and all parts scrapped!

The result was that owners of these vehicles (which included early Rolls Royce and Bentley models) were henceforth without any source for spares.

The company 'folded' soon afterwards (after I had left).

my dad owned a crusader ex brs 4x2 tractor unit VBV663V he converted it with a york third axle to 6x2 this was a Guy built motor with a ghv chassis no

But they were still making Explorers in 1955:???

Are you thinking of when DAF took over Scammell in 1988?They still had mountains of Constructor parts at Unipower in the early 90s when they were making the 8x8 bridging units, no one was prepared to store the parts so they went for scrap.

Could be, to be honest i was in a state of shock when the chap was telling me all about it...:shake:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...