How Many Bottle Openers

Mark

How many bottle openers does your vehicle have, just spent the weekend at a show and found out the following;

Stalwart has at least 10 places to open a bottle with, these are the tie down hooks on the side of the main cargo doors.

GMC Workshop has four steps into the back, all along the steps can be used to open a bottle and as the night wears on you can get to the lowest step.

How many has your's ?

How many bottle openers does your vehicle have, just spent the weekend at a show and found out the following;

Stalwart has at least 10 places to open a bottle with, these are the tie down hooks on the side of the main cargo doors.

GMC Workshop has four steps into the back, all along the steps can be used to open a bottle and as the night wears on you can get to the lowest step.

How many has your's ?

wot o mark, how long did it take you to touch up your paint afterwards, ive been buying a barrel of bitter you get a free tap and stand, go straight to it and pour, saves wasting valuble drinking time looking for bottle opener :cool2:

graham

wot o mark, how long did it take you to touch up your paint afterwards, ive been buying a barrel of bitter you get a free tap and stand, go straight to it and pour, saves wasting valuble drinking time looking for bottle opener :cool2:

and more enviromentally friendly, Graham, saves on glass and cans :beer:

Could be a beltring competition-I saw a German/Austrian TV game show earlier this year, The idea was that the contestant was put into an average room, and had to open as many bottles as possible within a certain time. They could use anything in the room, but each item could only be used once. (ski boots, CD cases, books, desks,radiators etc)

Reminds me of a time in a beer tent when a certain MV owner looked around for somewhere to open his bottle and spied a table with an alloy edging, just right, he hooked the bottle, hit the top and started to drink.

The couple sitting at the table folded their chairs and their nice new table and left in a hurry, not their sort of place really! :nono:

In the cavalry the question never arose. We messed as a crew out of (usually) 4-man Compo packs. After removing the binding tape (which was actually wire when I first joined) and opened the box, the first thing that leapt out was an envelope marked READ THIS FIRST or some such. This contained enough tracing paper to satisfy four bums once each (being good regular soldiers) per day; a book of matches (everybody, including non-smokers carried a cigarette lighter anyway); a menu telling us what was in each menu Pack (the outside of the box was marked MENU A though about MENU H) and a compo can-opener.

Along with the cigarette lighter to light the stove, everyone carried a compo can opener - about 1.25" metal strip by 1/2" with a hook to open cans. It also opened bottles. Besides, we tended to carry cans of Brown Ale rather than bottles, 1. because bottles might break and 2. because in those days Brown Ale travelled marginally better in cans than bottles. (Pleased to report that last time I had a can of Dog - Brown Ale - they had mastered the art of exporting it beyond the boundaries of the Tweed and the Tees.) Officers often took bottles, but in the form of Famous Grouse ("bird") and if their whisky broke it was their fault. It didn't require a can opener, but it did do a good job of purifying tea.

RSM: "Trooper Alien, make me a cup of tea and make sure you purify it."

Me: "Eh?"

RSM: "There's a bottle of bird in the Ferret top bin."

Me: "Wilco."

So we never needed to get up and go to the vehicle to open a can or a bottle.

Edited by AlienFTM
typo

In the scouts we had a our nifty little belt buckles, which I used for years after leaving. Not for too long as clothing, though; because it was soooooooo uncool when I was a yoof. But the belt had other uses. I discovered that if you tugged it hard from either end it would make a first class cracking noise - so when the opportunity arose I would listen out for the busy boddy women in the flat up stairs to be going up or down and would stand in our "hall" cracking this belt and shouting and yelping "no mum, please no more". She used to stop and listen and then carry on. My mother was a monster who didn't need a belt to do damage, so any little bit of psy ops I could use for revenge was always worth it. The woman tried to take our cat because she was convinced my mother would illtreat it.....ah the joys of a 70s Hackney upbringing.....this story has my kids in stitches. :sweat:

MB

Well, I don't need a opener...

Maybe because plastic Cola-bottles have a screwtop.

Just don't get it on the paintwork. You can open two bottles of Hummel on a Dodge tailgate, by the time you get to the third you're lucky if you can find the Dodge. :beer:

I haven't opened a bottle on my Iltis and never will because last night at 2230 a nice man from Dumfries drove her away carrying a million spiders (some a little too large for my son's liking) to a land called Buckinghamshire. I'd had a glass of Chateau Milton Keynes earlier in the evening when the lad's band played at Club Riga in Sarrrrfend. As advertised on Radio Caroline........don't ask, I thought it had sunk, too.

MB

In the scouts we had a our nifty little belt buckles, which I used for years after leaving.

As did the REME, to whom I was attached for three years. Their stable belt had a twist-to-open buckle: my Latin was good enough to know they were trying to wind me up when they tried to convince me ARTE ET MARTE meant TWIST TO OPEN.

15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars stable belt had leather buckles. I still have mine somewhere I think. It has probably shrunk after all those years in the wardrobe.