Landrover Gallery.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day All, I haven't a clue as to how to post pix, but here is a link showing all 7 of my restored ex military Land Rovers cheers Dennis

What a wonderful parade ! Thank you very much for posting the link. I can imagine the hard work that went into making this Land Rover extravaganza possible and, also, it's nice to see all your LR's have their headlights in the correct position. It seems to me that one can directly trace when "things started going wrong in the world" from when Land Rover moved the headlights outboard. Here's a picture of my one taken yesterday in deepest Somerset. Looking forward to seeing a few pix of your fleet posted on here when you have the time. Thanks.

DSCF1052.jpg

How do you post photos on here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJM110

G'day All, I haven't a clue as to how to post pix,

Dennis and George,

I use 'photobucket' but there is also 'tinypix' and no doubt other means as well. Opening an account with 'photobucket' or 'tinypix' is free and their site should explain how to upload pictures from your computer's 'photo library. Once uploaded to these sites you can edit, or resize, your 'photos so that they are suitable for posting on notice boards or forums. If you get stuck, start a thread in "Other Chatter" appealing for advice. This has question come up before but I couldn't find anything when I searched the forum. :(

Break out dem pix we want to see them!!!!!

http://register.photobucket.com/

G'day All, I haven't a clue as to how to post pix, but here is a link showing all 7 of my restored ex military Land Rovers cheers Dennis

nice collection,:yay: can I have the gunbuggy please?

Mark :cool:

Hey all,

Heres mine in the Winter snows this year...

In the first shot I got out after I clipped the bank and it slid down the hill on its own with me running after it :nono:

I realised after it was sheet ice, its the only time I've turned back on any terrain.

The second shot was my best commute to work in years :)

Cheers

Colt

Feb2009Snow065.jpg

Feb2009Snow014.jpg

Thought you might like a piccie of my Series 1. There is a thought that it was used by the RAF Mountain Rescue..........No proof though.

Don't suppose youhave the contract plate still on the vehicle? I'm copying out the second part of article from John Mastrangelo on the Rover Mk4 for the EMLRA Newsletter and there is some info here that might be interesting to you as long as we can identify the vehicle, as would photo's of yours be to the article and John I hope.

All the best

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

This was the first vehicle we saw,its a remarkable achievment in a very short time.

Well done Clive,i like that little thing poking out your little tank groober.

I think you need to tell us more about the landrover as i am sure there are lots of young uns who dont know what it is.Nice to meet up after so long.Keep taking the anchovies.:-D

First of to clear up three general areas of questioning from the public.

1. It does not float

2. It is "real"

3. It was not built from a kit, nor did I build it myself.

It is based on a S2A export chassis built in Nov 1965 using at the time non standard items as it predates the 1-Ton chassis. It was built into a Shorland in early 1966 by Shorts Bros & Harland in Newtonards. It is serial no.9 & I believe that it is the oldest Shorland as most of the original batch were re-cycled into Mk 3 Shorlands.

The improvements in running, apart from general servicing & rebuilding the carb, were:

1. Fitting a £15 electronic ignition system to the rebuilt original distributor.

2. Removing the screened HT system. In a military FFR system, although operating on 24v, the ignition circuit is operating on 10v or 12v & loaded with a large ballast resistance to offset the inductance of the coil. Thereby increasing the oomph from the coil to offset the effect of the capacitance of the HT cables, this dampens down the available HT as it has to charge up this capacitance.

The Shorland is a 12v vehicle but was fitted a civilian Lucas screened system. This comprised a screened enclosure for the coil & distributor cap using standard sparking plug fitted into screened adaptors, with all the HT cables screened. I have measured the capacitance of the HT cables that would be seen by any one plug at a time & this amounts to 250pf.

It runs very smoothly & starts easily. Now I'm a bit depressed that although pleased that I am achieving 14 mpg, I see from my records on a trip to W&P 16 years ago it was achieving 15 mpg & that was with the screened system in place.:shocked:

Cheers Clive ,dont forget 16 yrs ago the petrol had a higher calorific value,now its just crap maybe if you ran it a bit hotter it would burn better,all the modern stuff i deal with now runs about 100c to cope with this petrol,i dont suggest you do but maybe an 88c stat instead of a 72 would be better,idont know what you have,do you.i think the figures are very good.

David, yes I've done a lot of falling over it in the last 12 years. The moral of the story is of course is to regularly run your vehicles out & about throughout the year.

CW, not sure what thermostat it has. I took it to W&P several times. But I remember breaking down several times in traffic queues in Chichester & Billingshurt which I assumed was a heating issue.

Given the similarity of mpgs, I was contemplating putting the screened system back in as it added to the authentic quirkiness of it, making it visibly more authentic & interesting. Many have suggested that I remove the armour from the footwells, engine panels & bonnet as 'nobody' would see. But again that detracts from its character & this hidden armour is part of the exhibit. (I feel much the same about the suggestion that my pig should have a diesel engine. The pig exists because it was built around a B Series engine & if you remove that you remove the heart of the thing & its raison d'etre)

Now I'm a bit depressed that although pleased that I am achieving 14 mpg, I see from my records on a trip to W&P 16 years ago it was achieving 15 mpg & that was with the screened system in place.:shocked:

Unfortunately the odometer does not read tenths of a mile & as this was a relatively short trip it could have been on the edge of another mile so it could have been 15mpg.

It did run smoothly & didn't cut out on me, unlike one W&P trip when it cut out for several minutes on the Chichester by-pass & again in Billingshurst high street!

Nice one Clive ! Will you be at W+P this year and if yes what will you be taking now you have a choice of cool M.V.'s on the road ? :-D

Yes I will be Andy, but the dilemma is Pig or Shorland? Shorland gets me on EMLRA display, the LH group I was with last year are depicting BAOR this year. So if I want to take the Pig I need to offer myself as as an example of the Civil Power for any LH group that might be depicting Op Banner, given that it is 40 years in August.

What weight is the Shortland all up?

I assume the heavier plating is only about the cabin. Thickness of this plate?

Is there protection for the radiator?

Doug

Doug, laden weight is 3360 kg & armour 8.25 mm. The radiator, bonnet & engine sides are armoured. Not fitted in the picture but there is also bevelled armour that fits below the radiator & down behind the bumper.

Dscf0182a.jpg

The footwells are armoured & you can see the panel removed to adjust the master cylinder.

Dscf0526a.jpg

Here is my 109" after a couple of weeks in the workshop getting sanded and a coat of fresh paint. She looks much happier.

Yesterday she pulled a float in the local annual parade. My kids do a papier mache workshop and this years theme was the circus.

And, they got first prize for the float!

A good day out with stunningly good weather!

DSCF0114 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0115 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0120 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0123 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0127 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0128 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0130 (Medium).jpg