MVs - where do you look to find one...

Jack

Folks.

Just out of interest when you bought your mv or you are in the middle of trying to source one, where do you or have you looked to find one???

What magazines, websites etc etc do you look at? Or is it just word and mouth?

My GMC came off MilWeb! Lawsons was from someone I knew.........

I travelled to Holland to buy the Ward La France. Saw it advertised in Milweb and went the next weekend. Collected it a month later.

Purchased the 432 from War and Peace - as you are all aware.

Series 3 FFR Land Rover from auto trader.

A lot of stuff isn't actually for sale, until someone offers silly money for it. Exceptions are my Ward La France - never sell it.

If someone offered the right money for the 432 or series 3, probably seriously think about letting it go.

Hence I guess you can say a lot of selling is down to word of mouth.

Markheliops

Snow Trac - spent ages trying to find genuine ex mil one . Eventually happened across one on Withams website.......which was sold. Some time later saw Brian Boys had one for sale , phoned , went , looked , bought it , got it home , found out it was the one I'd just missed at Withams.

Unimog - bought off e Bay , third one - I think - I'd tried to buy .

The first Dodge I bought I bought from a neighbour and friend of my Dad. My dad bought his from an ad at http://www.hmkf.no. The GMC we found at http://www.finn.no. The Polynorm trailer was bought from the neighbour again.

All of these were bought in Norway.

But I will one day travel to Holland to buy a command car and at the same time take part in some of the events they have there before I drive it back home. And don't you even try to kill that dream!

Marty

Hunted for 2 years for the right Dodge, eventually Steve Rivers came up with what is now the love of my life, 101 from a mate. Other bits 'Oy are you the nutter who collects army stuff?'

nearly forget the bike!!! :dunno: That had been used for years by a local bloke to get to work, when he retired it went to a friend who owns a bike shop. He said he wanted to get rid of it. Advertised on Milweb got a lot of stupidity. He kept on at me that I should have it, told him straight couldn't afford it. Eventually he just lost patience and named such a silly price , when I did get up I haired down the nearest ATM and now its mine :-D

Located the dealer through Military Vehicles Magazine , wasn't much of a WWW at the time 1989 would use the Internet the next time around and the On line Club's Groups and Forums ...which would be word of mouth as far as that's concerned . Great source of information and very likely chat with others who might be local and know about the vehicle.

Expanding on this theme another question arises as to how far would you travel to see a vehicle you were interested in, or would you take someone's word about the condition.

Travel, if I wanted one that badly, as far as necessary. Other persons word, very rarely, but I'm a cynic anyway. :evil:

Mk1/2 and Mk2 Ferrets direct from Ludgershall tender (via "contacts" :whistle:). Brilliant buys thanks to war reserve expenditure - have never looked back

Mk1 Ferret - eBay (the first thing I ever bought on eBay), not bad as a sight unseen temptation and I was working on the basis his description didn't matter cos I was gonna restore it anyway - turned out only too true as he knew nothing about the vehicle and had it as a toy till he got bored and it broke

Morris - MVT Green Sheet advert (I would certainly expect to use Milweb as well nowadays). Bought the first British WW2 vehicle I saw advertised in that copy - a very hard lesson never to be repeated!

Landy 101 - from a dedicated 101 dealer who is now out of business (aka retired) since he sold everything. Visited many many places to find one and bought it like you would any car from any forecourt dealer ie with some worthwhile guarantees but also a load of half truths about what work had been done already.

Fox - eBay listing converted into private deal ( :deal: shh don't tell anyone). Waited a long time for one to come up and contacted a lot of people (via here on HMVF and also the Alvis website) for word of mouth info. Inspected ones in Kent, Cornwall and Scotland (from a Surrey base!) to find the one I eventually bought having learned my lesson from the Morris - no matter how rare never buy the first one you see unless you are already really familiar with the quirks of your chosen moneypit

The Piglet came from, hmm, not sure. The CMP came from Pete Gain/Gant - is he still around? The Bofors came from The Shoreham Aircraft Museum in Kent, the Sultan from A + S in Norfolk, the 110 off Ebay from the Isle of Arran. Which goes to show I suppose how widespread our 'hobby' is. And I am quite happy to go anywhere to pick up parts, view stuff, though all of the above were bought sight unseen, from photos only. But then they aren't what might be called run of the mill stuff like Jeeps which need definitely checking on before.

The first Dodge I bought I bought from a neighbour and friend of my Dad. My dad bought his from an ad at http://www.hmkf.no. The GMC we found at http://www.finn.no. The Polynorm trailer was bought from the neighbour again.

All of these were bought in Norway.

But I will one day travel to Holland to buy a command car and at the same time take part in some of the events they have there before I drive it back home. And don't you even try to kill that dream!

Marty

You're wellcome.

We could both drive Command Cars then.