1942 Commer Q2 30cwt Restoration.

Rootes75

Quick update.

All the cross members are painted with top coats and this week I have had the timber for the bed delivered.

This weekend will start the marking and cutting and varnishing the timber planks before they get fitted. Once done it will be a case of top coats on the rest of the body and that will be the body finished. I would anticipate finishing the body by the end of February.

I also had some very good news from RCH Canvas this week, the custom made canvas for the Commer is only a week or so away from completion.

• Like 2

The work on the body floor has started. Firstly all the lengths need to be trimmed back and then the front 20mm needs the thickness reduced to around 15mm (from 20mm) to allow it to sit under the headboard timber. There is a metal capping strip that gets fixed along the rear to cover the timber ends.

52666620586_2a27f409d6_k.jpg

The first few boards trimmed up and being trialled in place.

52666624686_f11a9faf32_k.jpg

Trimming the front ends thickness down to 15mm.

52667062675_13a2054525_k.jpg

All the boards trial fitted in place, the fit is very good. As they say, measure twice fit once. They will now all come out again and I will varnish the boards before re-laying them and screwing them down.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are back trying between other jobs to get the Commer running properly. We have checked the manifold for leaks when she is running (she still only runs on full choke), we used oil round the manifold and then inspected for any bubbles, there none.

There is no drain under the manifold like on similar Humbers but we did check.

Next I loosened off the exhaust down pipe and when it was off I checked the gasket. To my surprise the gasket was pretty clean apart from around the most unaccessible stud. Around this fixing hole could be seen lots of black soot, quite obvious that its escaping around this point and the gasket isn't sealing properly. 

Well, I have some new brass nuts and have wire brushed off the studs as best I can. I will re-fit it all on Saturday and hopefully that will make a difference. I may even use some gasket sealer just to go belt and braces on the fix?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

We are back trying between other jobs to get the Commer running properly. We have checked the manifold for leaks when she is running (she still only runs on full choke), we used oil round the manifold and then inspected for any bubbles, there none.

There is no drain under the manifold like on similar Humbers but we did check.

Next I loosened off the exhaust down pipe and when it was off I checked the gasket. To my surprise the gasket was pretty clean apart from around the most unaccessible stud. Around this fixing hole could be seen lots of black soot, quite obvious that its escaping around this point and the gasket isn't sealing properly. 

Well, I have some new brass nuts and have wire brushed off the studs as best I can. I will re-fit it all on Saturday and hopefully that will make a difference. I may even use some gasket sealer just to go belt and braces on the fix?

Have you tried spraying brake cleaner around the inlet manifold and carb gasket? If the manifold is leaking it will draw in the brake cleaner and the engine idle will change, you won’t get air leaking out, it should only suck in. 

• Like 1

Well, after much investigation into the non running of the Commer engine we finally made progress at the weekend.

We have set the timing again, we have cleaned the plugs again and we sprayed oil around the manifold to check its sealed and not sucking in air. We have two carbs and both are set correctly but still we see the same result...

The breakthrough....

We removed the Exhaust...it was quite clear what was happening when the downpipe gasket was revealed. Around one fixing bolt hole it could be seen that it wasn't sealed very well at all. So, we cleaned off the edges and faces again to get them as clean as possible. Then we re-seated the gasket with some high temp sealer and fitted it with new brass nuts. It tightened up much better than is did before.

Upon trying the engine...no choke, she started first time and ticked over lovely, add some throttle and no pops or bangs. All we have to do now is to just set her idling speed and maybe just adjust the mixture when she's warm but tbh it was such a relief to hear her run smooth after all this time.

A huge job and weight off the mind considering her first show is in 8 weeks time!!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

After 15 years I left my job last Friday, I start a new job closer to home next week. Its given me a week to spend down the shed to really put some time into getting her finished.

Well, the first two days we've spent 15 hours on her and we have ticked off a few major jobs.

I've rewired the rear of the lorry so we now have side and stop lights working correctly. We have adjusted and now bled each wheel and we have good brake pressure in the pedal. We have finished lots of other jobs too, the seats and all their bracketry has been refitted, the front bumper is fitted and we've marked/drilled and fitted a new number plate. The rear wings have been trial fitted, marking and drilling the new Cross members, the complete front step assemblies are now fitted, including marking and drill the repaired front wings to take the lower steps....the list goes on of small jobs we never quite got round to finishing.

The paint hadn't arrived yet but we're now at the stage where it's paint, fit the canvas, fit new window glass, then stencil her up....she's not far off finishing and she will be ready for her first show the last weekend in May...its exciting.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The paint was delivered last week so she's now in the process of being hand painted....

I won't post pictures during painting...just when she's finished now. 

We have a show, Warag at Westonzoyland on the last weekend in May. That's our aim, to get her there. She won't be finished, I simply don't think we have time to get things like her insignia painted.

But already, with most of the body painted I can tell you she's looking pretty damm good..

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well....she's finally painted...and the new canvas is fitted....

Only a couple of minor jobs left to do and she should be attending her first show in a couple weeks...

The plan is to take her out and road test her this coming weekend so when she's out the shed I will take some photos and let you guys see what you think...

• Like 4

After 3 years of restoration....she finally made her way out onto the road..

Only a gentle loop round the quiet back lanes of the village though. 

Some teething issues...mainly under engine duress we've found a hole in the exhaust that's effecting her running. We got her back in the yard and just to prove a point I taped the hole and with hard throttle she ran much better.

We have a show at the weekend, I will use some putty temporarily and then drop the exhaust afterwards so that I can weld a repair.

First time out the shed painted and in the sunshine she looked very good, well pleased with what we've done.

• Like 7

We've been spending every spare hour we can down the shed trying to get her as close to finished as possible, will be down there again tonight after work. 

We will be driving her the 10 miles to the show tomorrow evening after rush hour...if she's finished..fingers crossed.

We are taking her to Westonzoyland so the plan is to get plenty of good photos either the ww2 pillboxes etc as the backdrop.

• Like 2

So chaps, we did get her finished to a state where she could get to the show. 

But even on the Friday morning we were still doing jobs, the main one was fitting a new passenger door glass!!

Anyway, we planned a route that had the least hills and junctions just to be careful as it was her first time on the road, it made it around 15 miles. She performed well at a steady low speed, we stopped twice to check her temperature and let her cool only to find that she was handling it better than expected.

We got her there and the feeling of relief and pure bloody happiness between us was brilliant, I drove her down with my 11 year old as co-pilot and my Dad who's helped out so much in the restoration following behind in his trusty Land Rover for if anything went wrong.

I have lots of pictures so am sorting through some to post.

• Like 6

On the Sunday of the show we were asked if we would like to take part in the full scale skirmish, Westonzoyland being a wartime airbase still has many features such as pillboxes...it makes for a good battle taking on a bunker or a pillbox.

We attended a very good professional briefing on the Sunday morning, everything was covered and thought through. Our job, carry a troop of 4th Battalion Somerset Light Infantry into battle, this was so good. Being part of it all and the attraction a British truck with British troops in got.IMG-20230528-WA0005.thumb.jpg.5f1cbf339de4bc934ee3645c6f9ea70d.jpgIMG-20230529-WA0000.jpg.f1fefed82133e9529ceb3d42818ef491.jpgIMG-20230528-WA0003.thumb.jpg.e6359eccd0ec8d1a423a6529d95aa7c6.jpg

• Like 8

Getting the appropriate canvas for SCC2 trucks seems to be really challenging nowadays. Not only that but the number of people willing and able to create canvases for British trucks -some of which can be very complicated - is quite limited as well. Bit of a double whammy really.

Adds another level of complication to the restoration when SCC2 base colour is used

• Like 3

It's taken a long time, over a year, to get the canvas. The colour was something very important to me and I've had colour matches before we went ahead with anything.

We do have an issue with it...the rear end has been supplied not to what we ordered. But the suppliers are having it back at the end of the show season to fix it.

The MWR canvas is very complicated with cotton gauze windows, internal blinds, speaking tubes through to the front, leather patches and flaps for the antennae mounts, straps on roof for camouflage net etc etc. and on top of all that it will need painting with Mickey Mouse in due course.

Just one shrunken survivor that we know of, so much has had to be worked out from a limited number of photos.

Congratulations on your completion of the restoration. I’ve watched progress with interest.

Edited by simon king
  • Like 1