1942 Commer Q2 30cwt Restoration.

Rootes75

My Father wore brown boots for the entire Second World War.

He took a size 3 shoe and no Australian Army black boots would fit him so he had to wear Women's boots.  He was a RADAR Tech.

The guy in brown boots is what I would call short.

In those days officers wouldn't have been issued with any clothing, they would be expected to pay for everything, which is why they could tailor their battledress and so on as it belonged to them.  They could get certain types of clothing from the quartermaster, but only on repayment, through an RAOC unit at, I think, Corps level which was, basically, an officers clothing shop.  (I've forgotten what it was called).  Of course, they also bought direct from the military tailors when in UK on leave, or had stuff sent out from home or made by local tailors, particularly in the Middle and Far East. 

This system continued well after the war - even in the 1970s officers were issued, for example, just a single combat suit rather than the two issued to ORs.  If they needed a second, or it wore out, then it had to be bought.  Luckily, most young officers started military life at Sandhurst straight from school as officer cadets where they were still, legally, ORs, thus issued with a full scale of uniforms most of which they would be allowed to keep on commissioning as it wouldn't be reissued, though some of it had to be paid for and other bits handed back in.  Those who entered through the university OTCs and were thus already 'officers' when they were going through Sandhurst weren't able to get the same issue so had to pay for a lot more or do without.

Most officers wore brown shoes and boots, except in rifle regiments, the Light Infantry, RTR, Scottish Regiments and one or two others; RAChD, for example.  I suspect the re-enactor with the map case is dressed as an officer, though I can't see his badges or rank on his shoulders.

8 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

I suspect the re-enactor with the map case is dressed as an officer, though I can't see his badges or rank on his shoulders.

Just out of interest, how do re-enactors decide what rank they are going to be? Presumably they're not all the same?

If they are a professional group their rank structure will reflect the type of unit they are portraying whether that be an infantry section, platoon or Company etc.  Any one portraying an officer even just doing public displays needs to be able to provide the leadership necessary including  ensuring compliance with all Health and Safety requirements etc.  We have two retired Majors in our group one regular and one reserve, but you don't obviously need to be ex-forces of any rank.

• Thanks 1

We affiliate with a local Somerset LI group, my Son's uniform is badged up as a Infantryman of the Somerset Light Infantry as part of the 43rd Wessex Division. My uniform is badged up as RASC with the 43rd Wessex but I have chosen to wear Sergeant straps as my Grandfather's rank was in the RASC during the war. I am the only member badged as RASC within our group and we do have Officers above us who we take instruction from.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...