New Addition - Landrover Series III

Markheliops

Hi all.

Needed a cheap runabout so have purchased a Series III. :-D

My question is this.

The vehicle is registered as a Q plate although the age of approx manufacture is 1971.

How easy is it to argue with DVLA about a correctly age related number plate?

The story from the seller is as the vehicle had been abroad for a period of time, manufacture date is hard to find.

I can't see that as I have the chassis number - 91105483B - and the MOT certificate gives year of manufacture as 1971.

Is it easy to correctly find the date of manufacture and confirm this by whatever method.

The Landy is apparently ex-NATO but how exactly can I establish this.

As yet, can't find a military data plate.

Many thanks.

Markheliops

As yet, can't find a military data plate.

Many thanks.

Markheliops

Open the drivers door & it should be facing you on the side of the seat box...

This may help...

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.Chassis_Numbers.html

1962 - 1979

An eight digit chassis numbering system with suffix letters

The first, second, and third digits indicate the model and specification.

241-258,260-324 = Series IIA 88" & 109"

325-339 = Series IIB (110 Inch Forward Control)

340-354 = Series IIA 109"

5424 = Series IIA 88 Station Wagon (US Model) 259,

901-950 = Series III

951-955 & 895 = Lightweight

956-965 = 101 Inch Forward Control

355, 356, 358 = Range Rover

The remaining five digits starting with 00001 indicate the serial number.

The suffix letter indicates design modifications.

Note: The year, or model-year of manufacture have no identification number.

Is it defo military Mark

Not really sure at this time Mark-

Haven't had a proper look as yet - picking it up Friday so will crawl over it then. Needs a bit of work and the previous owner has done some odd mods to it.

It is a Hard Top LWB. Previous owner has put Range Rover front seats in it, boxed out the rear with wood, and other weird mods.

I haven't purchased the Landy specially for a military vehicle. I just wanted something to carry my tools and bits of 432 and WLF. If it's NATO - it's a bonus.

Will post some pics Saturday.

Markheliops

Oh dear, what have you done silly man? Just one more thing for you to break....

Hi Vince.

See you're out late as the boss is away.

Doesn't matter if I break it for two reasons-

A) Hasn't cost me much.

B) I know someone who can fix it when it does go bang.

Seriously, the engine and running gear is good. Had it on a ramp today and under the thing is quite solid. Bulkhead lets it down though.

Keep ya mobile on mate.

Markheliops

I thought military ones always had the tank inside under the seat. ????

I thought so too Mark. - Not 100% sure. I suppose the previous owner could have moved it due to the fitting of Range Rover seats.

Won't be to upset if it turns out to be a civvy version - as long as it does what I need it too.

Markheliops

Ciao!

I'd leave it as a Q plate matey - it'll be tested as a 1971(?) anyway. That means visible emissions only, laxity on seatbelts, lighting etc. My F350 is on a Q and even though it is a 1983 truck it's tested as a 1971. Go figure!

Plus Q's are getting rarer so you're joining another elite club 8-)

Ciao!

I'd leave it as a Q plate matey - it'll be tested as a 1971(?) anyway. That means visible emissions only, laxity on seatbelts, lighting etc. My F350 is on a Q and even though it is a 1983 truck it's tested as a 1971. Go figure!

Plus Q's are getting rarer so you're joining another elite club 8-)

But what about getting free road tax :dunno:

But what about getting free road tax :dunno:

Testing is VOSA, VED is DVLA.

From the MoT tester's manual:

"Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1st August 1975. For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 st January 1971..."

Testing is VOSA, VED is DVLA.

From the MoT tester's manual:

"Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1st August 1975. For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 st January 1971..."

My point was if left on a Q Plate he wouldn't get free tax... would he :dunno:

My point was if left on a Q Plate he wouldn't get free tax... would he :dunno:

He should do because DVLA should base its VED status on it's declared date of manufacture, not its date of first registration or what the registration plate says. This is assuming it is 1971 of course.

He should be no worse off with the Q in terms of VED or testing and he'll have an unusual number plate to boot. Incidentally contrary to popular myth, I've never had any problem getting insurance with a Q plate.

When my brother bought his Willys MB jeep from a dealer back in 1984, it was registered on a Q plate. Not a problem, you had to pay Road Tax then. But years later when the Historic class came in to being with no tax to pay, anything on a Q plate could not get this exemption. It was re-registered on an age realated number and put on the Historic class. I am sure you cannot get Historic tax exemption on a Q plate......................but am ready to be corrected :dunno:

Oh Brother - opened a can of worms again. :whistle:

Surely I can find out date of manufacture from the chassis number. If a vehicle club says it was manufacture date is 1971, then I can approach DVLA for an age related plate.

To be honest, I'm not bothered either way but it would be nice to have free road tax. I know you can't get free tax with a Q plate.

Some insurance companies do turn there noses up at Q plates as they automatically think it's been written off or put together with sticky back plastic.

I think mine has been put together with sticky back plastic. Maybe find a Blue Peter Badge somewhere.

Back to the fuel tanks - mine has a single filling point, O/S just past the door but TWO fuel tanks. From what has been descibed prior in this thread, is that a cross between the two types fitted.

I think I shall have a lot of fun trying to determine what I actually have landed myself with. Maybe it's a little of everything.

I may put pictures up after the weekend - but no laughing. :argh:

IT'S ALL I COULD AFFORD.

Markheliops :-D