New Addition - Landrover Series III

Markheliops

More info as picked up the Landy today.

I have found a military data plate on drivers seat base.

It declares the vehicle as a Series lll FFR. It does show a military reg and a chassis number and I will post these later with some pics.

It does have military FFR fittings and the large FFR generator.

The fuel tanks are 2 - both under the front seats but as previously thought, the old owner has put a filling pipe in the NS body. The right hand tank can be filled under the seat by using the rather crudely cut square in the seat base. There is a switch over tap on the bulkhead.

Well, I'm happy that it would seem the vehicle is ex-military but not that bothered. I'm going to give it a paint with drab for no other reason than I can park it on site at W+P next year.

Runs okay but the steering is somewhat heavy. Going to look at it tomorrow as I think either the box has been over adjusted or it's very low on lube.

Other than that it needs lots of cosmetic work - cause it looks poo and the bulkhead needs attention.

If further enquiries give a pre-73 date, I shall endeavor to get an age related plate but I am a bit suspect that its as old as pre 73. At a pure guess, I would think about 1984- 1986 for a series lll FFR.

Back with pictures and other stuff soon.

Markheliops

From memory - when I contacted the Heritage Centre with 55 FM 58's chassis number they gave me a production date of Dec 1975 - but the Mil Reg dates from a year or two later...

Don't confuse date in service with date of production, it's the latter that counts for VED exemption.

Very true Neil, was just thinking it would give a rough idea of date.

Could be lots of reasons for heavy steering, first thing check its not in 4 wheel drive, the levers could be in the correct position but stuck in due to wind up etc. Check oil level in front swivels, after this it gets more complicated, steering relay, swivel/hub preload etc but they can all be sorted quite cheaply with the advice available on here.

Could be lots of reasons for heavy steering,

swivel/hub preload etc but they can all be sorted quite cheaply with the advice available on here.

To expand on what Degsy has just posted, the top swivel bushes on the front axle may have dried out through lack of oil or standing. They are fibre bushings, and are easily removed to lubricate, remember to refit all the shims again. This is a common problem if free wheeling hubs are fitted, because with the tracta not rotating they do not get the splashed oil on them.

Hi all.

Thanks for the previous advice and pee-taking tootallmike!!! :tongue:

The military reg showing on the data plate is-

78 FM 87.

I think the above is correct but the M is half worn away. Could be something else but probably is an M.

Shows the NSN as 1720 - 0778.

I topped up the steering relay today and the steering is a bit better. Will have a look at the swivel pin housings later.

Anyone with info on the military reg please. :-D

Markheliops

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have been busy with the Ward La France - bogie assembly -

As I had my camera with me I thought I would take a few pics of the Series III as previously promised.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000032-1.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000039-1.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000033-1.jpg[/img]

The Landy has certainly been - got at - but the previous owner hasn't made a bad job of it really.

The front is fitted out with Range Rover seats and to be honest I will keep them as they are more comfortable than the original seats. A cubby box has also been fitted between the seats. Everything has been insulated although it's still noisy but very warm and cosy.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000031-2.jpg[/img]

The military plate is attached to the drivers seat base and shows the mil reg, etc.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000029-1.jpg[/img]

The rear has been fitted out as you can see so I consider it pretty useful to all my tools etc. Again quite a good job and the panels are all insulated.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000037-1.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000036.jpg[/img]

There are some other mods such as the handbrake has been converted to a disc brake and various non military bits fitted.

Only problem found so far is the heavy steering was due to the thing being stuck in four wheel drive. I've had the covers off but the pin is free so can't see what the problem is so I have removed the front prop as a temp measure. Will investigate when I have more time.

All in all, I've covered over 500 miles since purchase and everything else seems OK. Has the usual Series III trade marks being noisy, steering wonders and you have to be gentle with the gearbox at high revs.

Haven't decided whether to keep it yet or sell it once I have finished repairing the WLF.

Markheliops

Hi Tony.

It's not the high / low (red lever) that's the problem.

It was stuck in four wheel drive - (the yellow push lever).

Tried jacking all the wheels off the ground in case of wind up but it didn't cure the fault so removed the front propshaft.

Any ideas peeps?

The little pin that moves up and down that's connected to the four wheel drive lever is not seized. It moves freely enough.

Markheliops

This might be stating the obvious but four wheel drive will only disengage when the high/low lever is in the low position

Chris

and the sprong on the yellow rod works through the transmission cover. I've bought three 'Stuck in 4 wheel drive' for pennies then used 1 Penny washer on each :-D

Hi Tony.

It's not the high / low (red lever) that's the problem.

It was stuck in four wheel drive - (the yellow push lever).

Tried jacking all the wheels off the ground in case of wind up but it didn't cure the fault so removed the front propshaft.

Any ideas peeps?

The little pin that moves up and down that's connected to the four wheel drive lever is not seized. It moves freely enough.

Markheliops

Like Chris said - grab the red knob and shove it hard into Low then pull it back into High - the yellow knob should then spring up. If it doesn't - and the spring hasn't gone through the cover plate as per Tonys post - try it with the engine running.

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

I have tried all of these but I will give it another go.

I read in the owners manual about shifting from high to low gear via the red lever to return to two wheel drive.

I have also had the panels and covers off to inspect the 2 / 4 wheel selector in case it was stuck but it's as free as a bird.

I'll give the above another go and come back to you with my findings.

Ta

Markheliops

Try removing the small tin cover on the front output housing above front prop flange. Think there's only two small 7/16 bolts to remove and the pin from the fourwheel drive selector lever. You can then see the ends of the selector rods to see if you are getting movement whilst someone else moves the hi lo and four wheel drive levers. These can seize up if there hasn't been enough oil in the transfer box.

Had a problem on mine where the bottom pivot bolt for Hi Lo was partially seized. once you had put it in Lo, if you changed to Hi lever moved as though moving back into Hi but not quite enough to clear on the selector. From in the cab the lever position looked correct (Back in Hi range).

Just freeing off the pivot bolt enabled a slight further amount of lever movement and problem solved.