pro's and con's of a fv432

paul connor

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Spartan, 48 AT 14, was used in Kosovo during Operation Agricola by 26 Engineer Regiment, for route proving and reconnaissance. Although it was used by other units after it returrned we found the KFOR markings under the paint and decided to restore it to how it was when it was out there. We also found a lot of white paint which ties in with the history dcument as it was also used in Operation Grapple, when it was painted white in UN service.

By getting in touch with 26 Engineer Regiment I was able to get hold of the following photos:

kosovo1.jpg

kosovo2.jpg

Chris

Easy to show circle. You can just see some writing overpainted infront of circle, almost could be a phone number.

Tacticalcircle.jpg

Another marking on mine I have always wanted to know what it stands for; are a big P on the front and R on the back, both hand painted and I asssume are related to when they are cast. I see it a lot on all types of vehicle at Withams

Markings.jpg

Have been to 432 web site, although quite informative doesn't seem to get updated.

Dougy

Ref. the circle - this may be the answer:

These tactical markings utilised the WW2 system of various geomtric shapes and their application varied from Unit to Unit. But they basically followed the undermentioned pattern for squadrons/companies/batteries:

A - Triangle

B - Square

C - Circle

D - Semi circle

Support - Semi circle [infantry]

Command - Semi circle [RAC Regiments replaced by HQ Sqn]

Command and Support - Diamond [RAC Armored Regiments replaced by Command Sqn]

HQ - Diamond

Callsign numbers would vary but as a guide they were usually a numeric sequence followed by a letter ie 12A

The general numbering system was as follows:

First number - 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 = Squadron/Company/Battery

First number - 0 = Regimental HQ/Battalion HQ

Second Number - 1, 2, 3, 4 , 5 , 6, = Sabre Troop/Platoon/Gun Section

Second Number - 0, 9 = Squadron HQ/Company HQ/Battery HQ

No Letter - Troop/Platoon Leaders Vehicle http://

Maybe the painted over lettering might have been a call-sign???

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for input

No I didn't disconnect the drives, probably should know better after recovering lorries for nearly 20 years. Does it state why you need to disconnect. Does it put unacceptable load on the steering box or is it similar to a lorry and it is to protect the gearbox?

Dougy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Regrding the L plate thing

You can should you wish to ! :nut: drive one without a commander on an L plate, not reccomended tho

We had a discussion with the examiner about this when I took my H test. Apparently the law says that when a learner is in charge of a vehicle then a person with a full licence must be in the front passenger seat. It doesn't say what happens when there isn't a front passenger seat so it's open to interpretation!

Andy

You should drop the shafts off to save overheating the Auto box (just like on an auto car you should remove the prop or suspend the driving wheels )

An H vehicle is like a tractor or a motorbike and NO supervisor is required when learning (but as stated a second pair of eyes is always useful at any time :cool2:)

And when registering your vehicle put in as little as you can get away with to avoid being caught out in future legislation (i.e 12 seats making it a minibus :-D)

Above all enjoy ownership - A 432 is for life, not just for War and peace :nut:

Cheers for now, Don

• 2 weeks later...

There's some interesting things happening on FV432 prices at the moment. Withams seem to have a nice one that's stuck at £3500, presumably below its reserve, and Terry Brooks has one described as "excellent" for sale at £3495.

Andy

A combination of over supply and the story you cannot register them for road use any more is probably depressing the market.

A believe from another thread the latter of these is in correct but quite possibly only through the ignorance of the DVLA Office the owners vehicle was registered through. Another office may give a different option.

A combination of over supply and the story you cannot register them for road use any more is probably depressing the market.

A believe from another thread the latter of these is in correct but quite possibly only through the ignorance of the DVLA Office the owners vehicle was registered through. Another office may give a different option.

Withams are curing the over supply problem, they have scrapped the last 8 439 this week, and are sending plenty of 432s the same way.

..... and the story you cannot register them for road use any more is probably depressing the market.

PM sent.

Edited by antarmike

Withams are curing the over supply problem, they have scrapped the last 8 439 this week, and are sending plenty of 432s the same way.

I'm surprised if they're getting much more than £2200 for them scrap unless the armour plate is regarded as special i.e. not iron. (I know they're not Aluminium this time I've checked). If not why aren't the reserves set lower? Sure there would be more buyers for them at £2500 or don't they want to upset the current owners too much.

Did you eventually scrap you CET or did it sell?

I'm surprised if they're getting much more than £2200 for them scrap unless the armour plate is regarded as special i.e. not iron. (I know they're not Aluminium this time I've checked). If not why aren't the reserves set lower? Sure there would be more buyers for them at £2500 or don't they want to upset the current owners too much.

Check the sale prices of the ones in the last tender. They were around lot 264, 266 etc. :-)

Check the sale prices of the ones in the last tender. They were around lot 264, 266 etc. :-)

Thanks Chris. Seem like a good buy at that, just wish I had a bit more room.

I see there are plenty (8) available in the upcoming tender, so no shortage of supply to drive up prices yet.

Witham's have changed their advice regarding road use of these vehicles. I can PM anyone Witham's current views as to road use of FV432 series they have for sale if you like.

I would have thought their present advice regarding end use would see them wanting to sell for whatever they can get.

Edited by antarmike
rewording to avoid misunderstanding as to what I meant