pro's and con's of a fv432

paul connor

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro's: easy to drive, fairly simple to fix, runs on petrol/deisel fuel mix which you can get for free from the AA, spares and CES readilly available, in service and expected to be so for another 15 years. There are several different variants. Parts are not too heavy to handle, at least they are a lot lighter than the equivalent parts on an MBT.

Cons:can no longer register them for the road as they have linked steering and brakes although ones that are already registered can be used apparently. Due to this linking of the controls, maintenance must be 110% or someone dies. Some smartass is bound to say 'but it was built after 1945.......'

Any full driving licence acts as a provisional for any other group. You will need 'L' plates and a qualified commander or alternatively you can take your group H test on a small bulldozer etc and then go straight to driving anything else tracked with a full licence.

The reoad registering thing is simply a myth! I did ours the other day. In and out of the DVLA in 10 minutes, with a tax disc and registration documents. Someone said it couldn't be done, now everyone thinks the same... it is infact a load of rubbish! If you need any help doing it, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

The AA won't give you free fuel anymore, as they don't do drainage. (I know an AA man.) However there are plenty of places that do, best bet is accident recovery companies, who have plenty of cars to drain.

Chris

i work for Renault uk, so we get alot of fuel mix, its one the main reasons i want one. As we pay to get the mix fuel taken away! i may even be able to twist the MD into paying me! haha

Im glad to hear that it simple to road register them, I heard alot of bad things when i wanted to reg my humber pig. About inspections and things from the DVLA. Even when i went to the office they said some one would be out to view and would cost me, a few days later i got all the Doc's and reg through the post.

I have not worked on Tracked vehicles yet so its a bit daunting, but have always wanted a tracked AFV. I have a full renault van workshop so im sure i can do most the stuff i need as well as 6 RTE (renault tech experts ) on call, one ex REME. I have a fair good mech knowledge as well. just the more help the better!

From what i hear the whole powerpack comes out in a cage anyhows, so work on the engine should be quite easy. Just the track is going to be new to work on, but they pull themselves on new tracks from what i have been told

Paul,

The pack does come out in a big frame, be aware though that it has to be lifted quite high, and it is heavy. You can ground run it before you put it back in too, to check for leaks etc. The Mk 2 fuse box is in the oil tank, which is a silly idea, however you can just about see it with the panels off. There are 3 versions, Mk 1 (Petrol), Mk 2 (Diesel) and Mk 2/1, which has the NBC pack relocated inside the hull. The 2/1 is most desireable as it's about a foot narrower.

There are loads about, and plenty of CES, so you should be able to get a good one.

Cheers,

Chris

Forgot to say, make sure if you buy an unregistered one you get the Cast Vehicle Form. That is the key to easy registration. I registered a 432 and a Spartan this summer, neither needed inspection and both were very easy, due to that form.

Chris

So far as the registration goes, I am very happy to be proved wrong and the fact that it is still possible! I have a small confession to make: I have successfully registered one this year as well without any problems but it was actually an FV438 Swingfire which I assumed was beyond the recognition skills of a computer and a desk clerk. I thought they would recognise and refuse an FV432 APC and possibly FV433 Abbott but I thought a 438 was too uncommon to have been included in any ban! Comments about the linked steering and brakes and the need for perfect maintenance is still true however.

John,

The average person behind the desk at the DVLA doesn't know what one is, they don't know about the steering and brakes, or even care. All they're interested in is the cast vehicle form, and then typing away on a computer. As long as the form is correctly filled in before you get to the counter it doesn't take them a minute to do!

I thought that perhaps it would give them a message when they typed in FV432, but aparently not. Perhaps if we'd tried to register it at Swansea or using the postal system we'd have had more problems?

Chris

Sometimes I wonder why I bought a 432,but it did seem a good idea at the time.Hard to believe I've had it over a year now. Haven't had any major probs with getting parts. Worst bit is storage. Road registered just after Beltring when everyone told me it was stopping, just went to local dvla office at Worcester. only got caught out by not having a form of I.D. on me & had to fill a form asking tech info such as measurements,type approval numbers etc. Left the ones like emisssions blank,they didn't query. Make sure you have hull number(on plate next to bottom left corner of rear door)they leave it of cast forms. Have met some great people since owning who are more than happy to help and give advice.

Go on save another one you know you want too.

Hello Chris,

Was once told they didn't put hull number on cast form to hinder registering. Sounds like yours not to far away from mine, mine is 10EA15 and a mk2

Dougy

Just a few comments relating to previous posts,

Have never fancied running mine on petrol diesel mix, you not know if it contaminated with anything else.

Fuses are trip switches on the isolator switch panel. the one in the sump is a 250amp mounted in the rectifer in engine oil tank part off charging curcuit and is a bit of a pig to replace with pack stil fitted but it can be done. there is another on radio switch panel and in IB2/3.

Never had to do a pack lift, but it does have to come out to change oil filters, but a friend John has made some access panels in the fan housing on his.

Mk2 are not much wider than mk2/1, both stick out the same on the nearside with the exhaust. i put hazard tape on nbc panels and have beacons when transporting.

Still learning myself but will try to help if i can.

• 2 months later...

I have seen quite a few ambulances go through the sales, have a look through the Withams section of my photo gallery http://gallery.sirhc.co.uk There are also a lot of photos of our vehicles there.

We have been running on contaminated fuel and haven't had any problems yet. There was 3/4 of a tank of diesel in it so we just dilute it down. We put it into clear containers first and then if it looks ok put it in.

I don't think they really care about registering. They probably can't be bothered to go and find the hull number, especially if it is under some paint, so don't bother.

We have a problem with the indicators, and need to know how the switch is wired up. It was wired up differently to the diagram inside, my dad rewired it as per the diagram and it doesn't work at all now. Anyone got any ideas? Two of the wires on the flasher unit were cut and joined together with tape.

Cheers,

Chris

Some interesting photos there Chris.

One caught my eye going through the Whitham Tender folder - image #237 (http://www.sirhc.co.uk/gallery/album/Withams%20Tender/Withams-2004-4.JPG)##Probably asking a lot - but can you recall what vehicle the Regiments alternate crest was on? In my day none of our vehicles carried any markings other than the reg plates amd maintenance stencils....

Neil,

That was on the side of a Spartan. Not seen many with markings like that on though. Quite a few with KFOR or SFOR, Kovoso or Bosnia. I don't think I have any more photos of the vehicle in question, so I can't find the reg no.

Chris

Hello All,

There was quite a nice 432 ambulance went through the last Withams sale, did get a couple of pics of it will have to dig them out.

My 432 has got SFOR written on both sides and a segmented cicle which I assume is a tatical/call sign symbol. There does seem to be some writing on the drivers side front that has been overpainted but can't make it out.

I also have a problem with the indicators not working, never have done since I had it, a lot of the wiring was hanging down by the pedals from behind the switch panel and some got pulled out of the junction blocks, had to tidy it up to prevent anymore problems. Had a quick look at indicators then, guess you have found the flasher unit behind the indicator switch chris, I didn't have a test light when I was messing with it so didn't get to involved. I also have a charging problem with mine just hope the fault is in with this wiring as everything else seems expensive.

Dougy

Dougy,

We did have the indicators working, but having not read that page of the manual they stopped working when we put it in neutral. The indicators only work when it is in gear, but we'd already messed with them before reading that! I have some new flasher units, and have changed it, but we still have to put the wiring back to how it was... it's just going to be trial and error. The interior lights don't work in ours, and I can't get the NBC pack to operate, but everything else works ok. When we get the Fox finished we'll start doing all the little 432 jobs.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Now you mention it I do recall reading somewhere that it has to be in gear before the indicators work. Will have to have a play see what mine does.

Have you got a copy of the user hand book, for the interior lights to work the switches have to be operated in the right combination so they work with the rear door open or closed, I have flattened the batteries when the lights were off when door open then i closed it not realising lights had come on and it was the only time i hadn't turned the masterswitches off. DOH! There also a set procedure for the NBC to work,(they can't make anything straight forward), have got some wiring diagrams for this curcuit if required.

Dougy

Dougy,

I do have the user handbook, and the electrical system manual. The 432 is not stored at home so we don't get over to it much, and when we do it's normally just to give it a run up and down the lane. We'll have to go and spend some time on it going over all the problems as it is now road registered but we haven't taken it out on the roads yet.

Cheers,

Chris

Almost none of the damned electrics work on my 438 except the engine start! Lights had been cut off so all the wires are short, it charges sometimes with a solid 'clunk' being heard behind the dashboard of some relay working but periodically, no clunk, no charge!

All the cut off lights wires are the same colour and all are dead, no matter where the switches are.

Missile wiring has been removed with maximum prejudice as well and some of the radio wiring has been cut off when the boxes were pinched, some were unscrewed.

Bloody good fun to drive though!

My 432 has got SFOR written on both sides and a segmented cicle which I assume is a tatical/call sign symbol. There does seem to be some writing on the drivers side front that has been overpainted but can't make it out.

When you say a segmented circle, do you mean a complete circle in four segments or a semi-circle, flat side up?

A circle indicates "C" Squadron / Company / Battery etc. It is segmented purely because it is painted on by stencil.

A semi-circle probably means the vehicle was assigned to an independent unit.

The writing on the side - could it have been chalked on? It might have read, for example, VOR BRAKES (Vehicle off the road because its brakes are broke). Or BLR (Beyond Local Repair)? BER (Beyond Economic Repair)?

In 1977, when collecting Ferrets and Saracens from the depot at Moenchengladbach, there was a line of Ferrets with BAOR OVERLOAD stencilled on. IIRC they they were in an unusual camouflage sceme of light brown / olive and were to be shipped out of theatre.

Hope this helps.