D-Day todays media coverage...ZERO

Jack

Going to moan here a bit today being for some the day of days I have scanned all of my local newspapers website for coverage of D-Day and and guess what Bu**er all - not even a mention...........hell this is Dorset, an embarkcation county. For good sake the Big Red One left from Weymouth and Portland and so to did the Rangers - the roads where a giant carpark for the invasion..........and what are we talking about down here?....road works for the upgrading of Weymouth and Portland for the Olympics.

Oh well.

I know what you mean Jack it's a pretty poor show from the country considering the importance of this day in history.

It's up to us to drive our vehicles around to get the message across that a lot payed the ultimate to give us a free life style (although with the changing face of the world we are not Free anymore but that's a different issue).

Bless them all

Steve

Nothing on the lunchtime news...

Apart from the old chap who's celebrating his 111th birthday

& served in the Great War (many happy returns by the way).

Probably have to wait for the 70th anniversary before there's much more media interest... very sad as time is fast running out for the survivors of the invasion who'll be well into their 80's (at least) by then.

It is goes to show perhaps how 'fashionable' WW2 is - when the media want it to be.........

In 2009 it will be all the bells and whistles and the media will be desperate to talk to 'old soldiers' as if they have just discovered them. Some of these 'old soldiers' are still here, right now, but may not be in 2009. It is appalling that D-Day goes unnoticed like this, without a mention anywhere but not to worry as the media to busy celebrating another great anniversary that changed the world and man kind......... Don't know about you but.... I AM SICK TO DEATH OF THE WORLD CELEBRATING THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE SGT PEPPER ALBUM.

Saying that how far in the future do you want to go celebrating these things, no one celebrates Rorke's Drift anymore or other significant times, there has to be a cut off point at some stage......hasn't there.

Saying that how far in the future do you want to go celebrating these things, no one celebrates Rorke's Drift anymore or other significant times, there has to be a cut off point at some stage......hasn't there.

yes that is a good point Mark the generation is still here with us - my Grandfather is still here.

I would rather we, as a nation celebrated these men & women then celebrating the winner from Big Brother.

I would rather we, as a nation celebrated these men & women then celebrating the winner from Big Brother.

Same here,...............BUT,..........it ain't gonna happen. >:( it seems, unfortunatly, modern society, (well, thats what they call themselves :whistle:) is only interested in CRAP TV.

The media circus, in general, likewise; How often do you NOT see a soap 'star', :roll: 's face featuring on the weekly TV listing mags..........

Didn't someone once say, something along the lines of, ' the lessons learnt through the spilling of blood, are quickly forgotton.............'.

I DID take my truck to work, today,...with campaign poster in window,...as I work for the NHS, it raised some eyebrows,....but more importantly, I'm told, a fair few folk stopped to read poster.

Nice One, Jack and crew.

All the best.

Andy

D-Day? forget it. Passchendaele 90th is coming in July. It will get a few pages in between Big Brother and the American soccer season. You've just passed through ten years of a government and establishment that has been working to forget the wars, the empire and anything pre 1945. History started in 1945 when Labour won a landslide election and gave us the Welfare State. They gave us the sixties and Sergeant Pepper. They gave us everything we need to be who we are in modern Britain. Old Britain is gone. Watch it on the History Channel. If you are from Old Britain and living in 2007 you are an anomaly. I like being an Anomaly - I like being a throwback. Admiring the past doesn't mean I want rickets or to know my place or be anti-foreigner, but I live in a country that used to MAKE things and MEAN something at home and abroad. I want my country back. This view doesn't make me a fascist, it make me a nationalist- two VERY different things blurred by those who HATE my way of thinking. Alas, MY country is lost. This is the modern world. Get with the programme.

D-Day? forget it. Passchendaele 90th is coming in July. It will get a few pages in between Big Brother and the American soccer season. You've just passed through ten years of a government and establishment that has been working to forget the wars, the empire and anything pre 1945. History started in 1945 when Labour won a landslide election and gave us the Welfare State. They gave us the sixties and Sergeant Pepper. They gave us everything we need to be who we are in modern Britain. Old Britain is gone. Watch it on the History Channel. If you are from Old Britain and living in 2007 you are an anomaly. I like being an Anomaly - I like being a throwback. Admiring the past doesn't mean I want rickets or to know my place or be anti-foreigner, but I live in a country that used to MAKE things and MEAN something at home and abroad. I want my country back. This view doesn't make me a fascist, it make me a nationalist- two VERY different things blurred by those who HATE my way of thinking. Alas, MY country is lost. This is the modern world. Get with the programme.

Hmmm,............well, from a free born Englishman;.........and I use the term correctly; Blood of the celt's run through my veins,.....(well DNA, actually)

in princible, I agree whole heartedly with the sentiments, above.

Tis such a shame that the lessons of the past are not passed on to those who will have a hand in shaping the future.

Well said Snapper. That's exactly the way I and many others I know see it.

If you'll permit the pun - Snap!!!!

As for Rorkes Drift and other battles of that era - you wouldn't be allowed to remember them because, to the current generation of "leaders", the wrong side won!!

We had a lot of stuff recently about Isalwandahara (sp?) where the Zulu's slaughtered the British Army though.......

if you get itv/htv west there should be a piece on it tonight about our trip.

we have been in our local paper,the gloucester citizen,the bristol evening post & the western daily press,

i now know what it feels like to be famous, we had an itv presenter, a camera man, a reporter & photographer from each of the paper named above, all taking photos etc all day every day.

they were all really sweet actually & we got chatting a fair bit ( as those who know me can testify to )none of them had been over to Normandy before & were surprised at how emotinal it made them feel.

any way i will do a full report later but we will be on the news at 1.50 & also in tonights main news .

Berni

Good stuff. Will check ITV news - but you may find Paris Hilton is far more important......

Nice One, Berni;...........shame in this area, we'll not get to see it. :cry:

As to Paris Hilton, WHO ??? :dunno:

Good answer. It's a hotel just off the roundabout in La Defence.... Either that or an over-indulged twig or some sort of gilded pondlife. You choose...but don't think too hard. I've actually got to thinking whether she would ever have ended up as nose-art on a WW2 plane of some sort and presume the only suitable type is one of those oddities built by Blohm Und Voss.

Good answer. It's a hotel just off the roundabout in La Defence.... Either that or an over-indulged twig or some sort of gilded pondlife. You choose...but don't think too hard. I've actually got to thinking whether she would ever have ended up as nose-art on a WW2 plane of some sort and presume the only suitable type is one of those oddities built by Blohm Und Voss.

:rofl: :rofl: :naughty:

as you can probably tell we all had a few tears but also a few laughs.

i think everyone under the age of 20 needs to spend time with the over 60's.

Berni

OH YES !!! can I put my order in now Berni please, female ,preferably blonde,

just realised that description fits you doesn't it? would Russ notice your absence?