The passing of Bernard Venners

David B.

I have just belatedly realised that no one has posted the sad news of the passing of Bernard Venners.

Bernard,who died last week was one of the earliest collectors of MVs and stalwarts of the MVCG/MVT. He held committee positions at national level and was also very active locally.

I first met Bernard around 1970 which predated any of the MV clubs and at the time you could virtually count collectors of MVs on the finger of one hand.

Having a particular interest in British WW2 military vehicles Bernard and his wife Marion owned and rescued a number of vehicles including Austin,Ford,Karrier,Humber,Bedford and Morris-Commercial I think all of which are still in preservation today.

With either Marion or Bernard at the wheel and with Lucy and Henry aboard they went on the early MVCG tours and appeared at all the major early shows such as Thruxton, Blackbushe,Southsea and dozens of local events.

Bernard had been unwell for a while and when I met Marion in Normandy in June he was sadly not up to the trip

I am rushing now to get ready for Bernard's funeral which is at 2.15 today at Thatcham Crematorium. (A4 Bath Rd)

My sincere condolences to Marion Lucy and Henry. Goodbye Bernard and thanks for all the help and "tip offs" over the last 40 odd years.

David Belcher.

Oh dear that is sad. It has been depressing to see him deteriorating in the last few years. A little while ago he had the presence of mind to pass on some rare photos which he felt should be shared for publication, which indeed they have.

I fondly remember the sortouts he would arrange at his place which were a highlight in the Christmas period where we could buy bit & pieces whilst meeting people outside the normal show season.

This event morphed into the Dallas Sortouts where indeed Bernard would often be seen.

The crematorium service,conducted under humanist principles was very well attended and mention was made of Bernard's qualities and various eccentricities also his long and varied MVCG/MVT duties.

There was a large turnout of old friends mainly from the,Berkshire,Oxfordshire and Hampshire areas with others from further afield and a good representation from the MVT comittee.

As we arrived for the reception afterwards Bernard's Humber was prominently parked there to greet us.

We shall miss him but all hope not to lose touch with Marion.

David.

Edited by David B.

What very sad news, and as said above what a stalwart of our movement he was. As an impressionable 13 year old on the first of the Peter Gray trips to Normandy in 74 I recall Bernard , always appearing to me to be a character of great fun and mischief. What a shame but how lucky we all have been to have had him in our club as an inspiration to the rest of us. RIP Bernard and my condolences to you family from my father Bob Honychurch and me.

Edited by AmphibAndy

I know Bernard's condition had been deteriorating for some time but I was still very sad to hear the news of his passing thank you David for the short appraisal of the funeral.

I first met Bernard in 1972 and I can still remember the encouragement and enthusiasm he imparted to a teenager eager to own his first MV.

Bernard's legacy is in the vehicles he saved and restored over a period in excess of 40 years and in the memories that his friends in the military vehicle world have of him. One of the very early members of the MVCG and a pioneer in the restoration of MV's.

He will be missed, my thoughts are with Marion, Henry and Lucy at this difficult time.

Pete