Chieftian MBT

protacman

photos of the work

Chieftian004.jpg

Chieftian008.jpg

Chieftian010.jpg

Chieftian007.jpg

these are the terminals that are all live once a gear is selected, i think they should only become live as required to select a gear, the cable coming in here is not 5 lives and seems to go though a sequence as gears are tried

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sean,

Ok from you have said i think the problem still lies with the emergency gear select. With the long cover off it is the first contact on the far right 2 upright copper contacts and a blade passing through them ensure that these "spring out" as the tufnol blade passes through them.

I would love to come over and get my hands dirty but alas you are a bit far away:(.

Could you get a picture of the the contacts?

As for the dial not working try all the connections down in the drivers foot well also check all breakers in the rear "bus bar" i think there are fuses as well.

Do you have any wiring diagrams? do you want some?

Talk soon feel free to email me direct and i can give you my phone number if you want to try and talk through the problem

Cheers,

Kev Walker

To all watching this thread , I need Alcohol and lots of it.

4 days i've spent on this problem and i'm more confused than ever.

So lets think.........

Ive got no dash indication

The foot controller do'snt seem to be changing up

the lead from the junction box in the engine bay shows power for first gear only

But when i plug it into the Solinoid box all the terminals go live

So do i have

bad dash gauge

bad foot controller (no i changed this for a tested working one)(power drop running on Batteries?)

Bus bar in the Solinoid area gone faulty ( or wired wrong feeding back power)

more pics

Chieftian013.jpg

Chieftian012.jpg

Chieftian011.jpg

Oh and this bracket holding is cracked

But besides all this, we three that worked on the tank over the weekend all agree we had a great time................

sick little puppies aren't we

A very nasty hands on learning experience thats for sure . I m guessing a bit of use of a hair drier and a tarp or shelter over the entire hull to keep out any more rain until you seal it up again ....with such cramp conditions things must go slowly , do the spectators turn in to participants by at least handing tools and such ?

I've got the Dash gear indicator working

It was a faulty clock....................... so all i need now is a new dash unit as you cannot replace this part

Anyone got a Chieftian dash????

Next getting the box to select!!!!!!!!!!

And now for some pictures

Hi y a

My name is Ossie and I am new here but not to tanks, ok I followed this thread, I have some thing that may determine a few things.

1st of all park the tank outside, nothing in front or behind, out of emergency gear.

2nd go to the gearbox undo the brake accumulator valve at the rear right hand corner. No brake pressure NO GEARS. (If you move with valve on main brakes will catch fire)

3rd sit in driver’s seat. Look to your right behind the master switch box on the hull wall you will see a block with two wires connected to it.

UN PLUGS both. This will disconnect all safeties and allow you to change up gears with NO BRAKES.

4th start GUE you have not said what the original registration is so I will presume that you do not have a gate on the GUE speed control on the left leaver. ( for high speed when engaging hydraulic start, mk 5 build vehicles)

5th START main engine. Bring engine generator on line by pressing both rest buttons on both engine panels and then press both gen panel swithes. If distribution panel light is red it is charging when green it means batteries are charged.

6th with hand brake off. Try to select gear and rev engine to over 1500 rpm. If you don’t move. Try this.

Hold gear selector up and flick master switch on and off very quickly, it should change up gear to second gear & jump out; you will see it on the gauge. If NONE of this works I would try getting a new GCP gear selector pedal switch complete.

If the gear box selector’s emergency gears it may not be the gear box.

By the way the oil filters are under a cover.

I will ask a man who use to build TN gearboxes for a living when I go back to work on Monday.

Hope this helps

Ossie

A wise man once said

"one women is enough trouble for any man"

That was me by the way

And

take a look at my face in the pictures, poor sad confused man.

Like a dog chasing a bus, if i caught one, i wouldn't know what to do with it.

1. I thought you were checking out the decolettage. I would have been.

2. Impressed by the next lass's weapon handling. Oops wrong forum.

3. The young lady on the extreme right, the one wearing the baggy green skin and looking like she is looking at you looking at that young lass's decolettage, it that Zero Alpha on the Domestic Command Net, She Who Must Be Obeyed by any chance?

Well Mr!!! :-D

I'm impressed,..... Never had a display like that on my old tank!! :captain:

And they were all over ya Fox!!! :captain:

How do you do it??? :banghead:

Ah, Well, ....My Mrs looks a lot different now, so....next year at W&P....Lookout!!! Wehey! :tup:

Best bit is....I do know what t do with this one eh!!!Ha Ha!

(Headaches etc. permitting!) :rofl:

I will probably be chastised now by all the girlies on site, but ...Hey! I Like Living Dangerously!! :rofl:

All the Beast

Fred & Annika :banana: :yay:

so far it works out like this

the main engine switch panel was not working (i swapped them,so now i can't start GUE)

the dash gear selector clock is fubar, so i need a new dash complete as this can't be changed.

And the busbar in the solenoid housing is unserviceable, as well.

So i need all three items asap

Please please

Oh and a traversing motor and a drivers safety switch

i'll put up more pictures of the girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

god, i'm sad

hi ya

the dash on the AVLB MK 6 and AVRE should be the same. the Mk5 may not be. main engine and GUE panels are the same but the rest have been modified because it was useing common parts with other inservice equipment towards the end.

this is due to mine plough and dozer control power supplies and other equipments.

Engines will be Sundances because that was all that was fitted to them. you can use them but you MUST CHANGE the BOTTOM Damper the one fitted is the one that drives the dog clutch. why not get a new Gear box at the same time.

some of the Hull panels on the Mk6 are same as guntanks because these are converted gun tanks. Mk5 were special build AVLBS all have regisrations with 01FD56- 86 i know mine was 01FD 58 & 01FD59.66.

BY the way we have met at Beltring, i am marioes friend who served with him in the army.

by the way some of the CHAVRE & AVLB's which were in storage before disposal were FULL OF WATER.

speak soon ossie