• 1 month later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

As I remember it was about fighting old dragons, I don't know what the problem was I do that on a daily basis ?? :D:D.

Funny seeing a British tank being commanded by a crazy American but then thats the movies for you, had a stalwart in it to.

You got yourself a bit of a monster their, step up from a fox no doubt. 8)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm on emergancy gearbox, have been told that this is an electronic problem, can anyone help. :wink:

Hi ,

Did you manage to get this sorted its usually the contact on the end of the emergency gear lever inside the gearbox , happened on my arrv , doddle to fix . let me know if you need any help

cheers,

Kev Walker

Thank you

no we still are trying to sort it

can you give any more info

Sean

Hi again,

Right here goes (wish me luck !!)

we need to gain access into the gearbox so lets break it down into steps

1, remove decks (central ones)

2, remove silencer box by undoing 4 square flanges (4 bolts on each) and remove the 2 quick release connectors on other end . then remove 4 retaining bolts so as as silencer can be removed from gearbox.

3, OK so now look on top of box and look toward the rear of the box , you will see a plate about 3 inches high and about 10 inches long and it is held down by about 8 1/4 " nuts.

Remove this plate and you will expose the electrical solenoids (sounds scary but its not trust me.)

So now that the plate is removed and as you select forward/reverse emergency gears you will notice a "tufnol" block with a copper contact passing through 2 upright blade contacts. you will see that that when you are in emergency forward or reverse that in effect you are breaking all electrical contact to the gearbox.

now i suspect that one of the contacts has got err "tired" and is not making good contact with the tufnol blade , you should see the upright static blades spring apart as the tufnol blade passes through them. if this isn't the case gently push it in so that you can see there is a good contact between blade and upright contact.

4, once you are happy replace cover plate and secure with 2 nuts.( you don't want to be spraying the hull with lovely sticky gear oil.)

5, start main engine and see if you can can select any gears, hopefully you can

once happy reassemble and take it for a spin!!

let me know how you get on.

If above doesn't work please email me direct.

Cheers

Kev Walker

Whilst your in there, you may as well check your oil filters too.... these can play havoc if they are clogged up, as happenned to us at Beltring couple o years ago, just a thought mate cos if there are 'sticky' contacts, the rest of the accessible items may as well get a goot seeing too!

Good Luck with it, I still Miss the old girl! :cry:

Fred

Hi Again,

Right the governor is located in the centre of the gearbox on top .follow the lead back to the connection box ( left hand side at the back if you are looking toward the back of the tank) 2nd plug down is the governor connection) if you remove it there and give it a try. the other place where you can disconnect it is the drivers footwell left handside you will see a bank of 2 pressue switches there will be 2 connectors going to this remove the lower one and plug it into the dummy socket (marked with a red border on the bracket).

Ok oil filters are located within the gearbox itself look for a large oil line coming from the pump on the engine trace this back to the gearbox and you will see in the casting of the box a cylindrical area voila that is where the filters are loacted. I think they are commercially availble.

Where are you based as if its not to far and could "pop" round.

Cheers,

Kev Walker

Hi

ok carried out steps as discussed

sitrep as of 1/12/07

The lead going to the solenoid box displays different current as you change gear on the controller

But in the box i have 24 volts on all the terminals once i select any gear

(lots of moisture in box)

Also, and this may be nothing to do with the problem, i have no dashboard gear indication.

So ....................... still no gearbox

Ps located in Southern Ireland, near Dublin.

Sean