Chieftain MBT £41,000

ruxy

So - if it is still to be deactivated , that means it was a Direct MOD release sale , I wonder where it has been these last few years ?

The Withams tender description said "reserve stock" if I remember correctly.

Andy

Don't you just love those useful comparisons used by journos and presenters..

The tank weighs the same as 11 elephants and can fit up to four crew members

which is great because I've been trying to work out how many all week....:nut:

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-22915771

So - if it is still to be deactivated , that means it was a Direct MOD release sale , I wonder where it has been these last few years ?

The other possibility is that it was originally purchased by someone who had a Firearms Certificate and has held on to it for a while....

I was just searching through an old file and found an old MOD Tender catalogue from 17 December 1992, l noticed that there were 89 Chieftain MBT MK 10's listed. 07FA14 was listed as lot number 193 which just happens to be the same number as the one recently advertised in the Withams tender !

My suggestion is that it was purchased by Withams in the MOD Tender in 1992, and has been stored with the other 17 they purchased at the time inside the big hangar until it was refurbished around 3 years ago and the Chieftains moved outside under heavy canvas sheets.

For interest I have attached the relevant pages of the MOD Tender and the recent Withams catalogue.

Withams cat.jpg

Tender cat.jpg

Tender page.jpg

at the withams site google earth shows a few of them, not 60 but a few, I guess they are going to release them one by one to increase the sale value...no matter what we say about Withams they have the right idea about squeezing every last penny out of each sale...not good for us collectors with small pockets...but hopefully a good deal of it goes to the army. Still think a single seller is anti-competitive and un-british...

at the withams site google earth shows a few of them, not 60 but a few, I guess they are going to release them one by one to increase the sale value...no matter what we say about Withams they have the right idea about squeezing every last penny out of each sale...not good for us collectors with small pockets...but hopefully a good deal of it goes to the army. Still think a single seller is anti-competitive and un-british...

From evidence early in this thread this particular tank went up for tender at Ludgershall 21 years ago, so how can any profits go back to the army, it is the present owner who gets that. This is business, they have had to store it all those years and keeping back a good one to put out on the market years on is what it is all about.