Chieftain Mk2 04EB68 Forty Three Years On.

Tootles

Today, I had the great pleasure to visit my old Chieftain Mk2 at Otterburn Range. I signed for this tank, which was brand new from ROF Leeds, in 1969, and last saw it in BAOR April 1970, 43 years ago. It has taken some time to trace her, and with the kind assistance of the MOD team at Otterburn, I was able today to see, and visit, 04EB68 again, maybe a little bit 'aged' since we last met, but hey, so have I.

Dave.

jim.jpg

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

Considering the 'stick' she has had on the range, she is very much complete. Most of the fighting compartment is complete, including all the gunners controls and the breech..(still in pres grease). The drivers compartment has been locked down since delivery, and is reportedly complete. Some damage to the roadwheels, but all the hatches are intact, and, she is only twenty yards from a made up road........ :D:D

Alas, I have no space to put her, but, these hard targets are no longer used, and therefore not needed. Maybe someone will rescue her one day. No power pack, but the aux genny is still there, and the uprated Merrit-Wilson gearbox.