AEC Armoured Cars

RattlesnakeBob

A quick question...

Is there an example of the Matador chassis based 'AEC Armoured Car' (any MK) in private hands in the UK? Also....which/if any museums have one????

Quick answer,

They were nicknamed "Dorchester" and I'm sure there is one at Duxford on display.

I think the Dorchester was the Armoured Command Vehicle, there's one at the Royal Signals museum too. The armoured cars were like a Ferret's big brother. I've not seen one in the UK but there is one in Holland.[ATTACH=CONFIG]73310[/ATTACH]

The "Matador chassis based" statement put me along the lines of the Dorchester. Matador is live axle on leaf springs, the Daimler armoured car was somthing completely different, the Dingo's big brother on coil springs and fully independant whishbone suspension.

I have found this picture on the WEB but can't find where it's from yet...

http://data.primeportal.net/trucks/de_craecker/aec/aec_5_of_6.JPG

Wiki says it was based on the Matador Chassis (ok I know Wiki is not totally infallable ) but the picture clearly shows that the rear was leaf sprung..either way I think they look awesome and would like to see one in the flesh so to speak :)

PS: I do know of one 'Dorchester' Command Car.it's currently sitting in my mates yard awaiting a rebuild but it has been on hold for many years.It ended up in his yard after he did a deal on a Matador that he had completely restored and a fella took a shine to it.the deal included a Jeep and the job of restoring the Command Car that had spent many years since the war as an airfield fire tender vehicle.....It is or certainly will be, a colossal restoration job however and I don't see him much to ask why he hasn't really got stuck into it yet .....I'll see if I can catch up with him and also ask if I can take some pictures for you all....

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Bov does have an AEC MkIII Armoured Car.

DSCF0047%20(Large).JPG

This is on a Matador chassis.

F8827 is currently in storage at Kapellen, Belgium and is part of the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces. The third (known) survivor is at Kubinka.

Edited by Pzkpfw-e

Bov does have an AEC MkIII Armoured Car.

This is on a Matador chassis.

F8827 is currently in storage at Kapellen, Belgium and is part of the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces. The third (known) survivor is at Kubinka.

boy oh boy they are certainly impressive ! thanks ! ...better include Bovington on a trip this year then!....I've been a few times over the last 25 years but didn't recall seeing one there ! thanks again!

I was in the Forest of Dean at a scrapyard unit last week collecting a bit of Land Rover bought on eBay and across from it were other units. Outside one was what I'm sure was an armoured Matador in primer - vertically hinged opening radiator shields and the like, military rims and 14.00x20(?) bar grips etc

I was in the Forest of Dean at a scrapyard unit last week collecting a bit of Land Rover bought on eBay and across from it were other units. Outside one was what I'm sure was an armoured Matador in primer - vertically hinged opening radiator shields and the like, military rims and 14.00x20(?) bar grips etc

hehe !...small world !!! that's my mates workshop and that's the Dorchester I mentioned earlier :)

bit of a wreck isn't she???

I visted the Belgian Tank Museums new home in Bastogne Barracks in 2011, this video (not mine) is of the yearly Nuts day run in December. Note the AEC running past and the other vehicles they have, in my opinion the range of restored wartime armour they have it really very good...a running Multibank Firefly and a Cromwell (Ex-Charioteer) trumps Bovington in some respects. Something went wrong...

Also the coffee and beer are to die for....I loved working in Belgium!

Edited by ajmac

The sign leaning against the front of Bovvies AC might be a hint to the mark!

Yes they are rather impressive, and a much better driving position than many armoured cars of the period which tend to be like driving a pillar box. They are indeed built out of Matador bits with as few mods as possible. One effect of this is that (I believe) the transfer box is standard Matador but turned round to accept the drive shaft coming from the engine at the back. As a result the AC normaly drives only on the front axle, engaging four wheel drive brings in the rear as well.

I have briefly driven the IWM Dorchester ACV which had not at that point been restored, only 'got going'. It was lovely to drive, very forgiving and not at all intimidating. Also much more responsive than I expected. I enjoyed that day!

David

The sign leaning against the front of Bovvies AC might be a hint to the mark!

Yes they are rather impressive, and a much better driving position than many armoured cars of the period which tend to be like driving a pillar box. They are indeed built out of Matador bits with as few mods as possible. One effect of this is that (I believe) the transfer box is standard Matador but turned round to accept the drive shaft coming from the engine at the back. As a result the AC normaly drives only on the front axle, engaging four wheel drive brings in the rear as well.

I have briefly driven the IWM Dorchester ACV which had not at that point been restored, only 'got going'. It was lovely to drive, very forgiving and not at all intimidating. Also much more responsive than I expected. I enjoyed that day!

David

Fantasic ! mind you !..

.My ol Dad drove Matadors in Korea and Malaya and also after his army time for a few jobs in construction and forestry...he absolutely loved them but always swore you developed legs like a body builder to operate the clutch and brake and arms and shoulders like one too to be able to steer them especially when 'off road' or in tight space...

...Around these parts when I was a lot younger, almost every other sawmill had at the very least one or two Matadors usually with a very rudimentary timber crane on the back ...

.in those days they did the job of what we call nowadays a 'forwarder' clambering up and down and through some really rough awkward & steep forest, often crossing drainage ditches and fallen timber and such like with apparent ease.... ....I grew up admiring anyone who drove a Matador 'seriously' :-D

hehe !...small world !!! that's my mates workshop and that's the Dorchester I mentioned earlier :)

bit of a wreck isn't she???

Small world indeed! I don't think it's too bad condition-wise, if I'd had my camera I would have asked if I could have taken a photo. It's such a rarity and I think it'd be great to see more British WWII vehicles out and about. When I was a kid lots of garages had British lorries as tow trucks - Morris Commercials etc.

Small world indeed! I don't think it's too bad condition-wise, if I'd had my camera I would have asked if I could have taken a photo. It's such a rarity and I think it'd be great to see more British WWII vehicles out and about. When I was a kid lots of garages had British lorries as tow trucks - Morris Commercials etc.

:) ....

Folks have restored much worse and it's not beyond his capabilities in anyway whatsoever because he has a cracking 'track record' of rebuilding :) ...the basic vehicle is 'all there' but when I last spoke to him he said the major stumbling block was finding anything to go inside and also knowing 'what' exactly to start to look for, never mind the problem of actually finding any of it :) Information is a bit scarce apparently as to how they were fitted out ..Is there a Dorchester in a museum in the UK I wonder?...

.I guess, asking if he could go and have a good look at one would be the best way round it....

PS: according to the web there's one apparently in the Imperial War Museum ...not sure if it is still kitted out internally though....

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

:) ....

but when I last spoke to him he said the major stumbling block was finding anything to go inside and also knowing 'what' exactly to start to look for, never mind the problem of actually finding any of it

PS: according to the web there's one apparently in the Imperial War Museum ...not sure if it is still kitted out internally though....

I believe the IWM unit is complete. Of course he could just ask me for copies of the original interior layout illustrations, which I have somewhere .... :D

Gordon

Basic information and photographs of command vehicles (p.30/31) and armoured cars (p.50-52) is to be found in the AEC publication "Contribution to Victory" - available here http://middx.net/aec/victory/001.htm

It is well worth looking at and covers Matadors and also other lesser known wartime AEC products such as flame throwers and tank engines.

Basic information and photographs of command vehicles (p.30/31) and armoured cars (p.50-52) is to be found in the AEC publication "Contribution to Victory" - available here http://middx.net/aec/victory/001.htm

It is well worth looking at and covers Matadors and also other lesser known wartime AEC products such as flame throwers and tank engines.

Thanks Redmat, that looks like an excellent link. Haven't time to fully look at the moment but will put it on the reading list.