Wicksteed at War - MVT National Show

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested to know where one stands on insurance when taking a vehicle into the water, anyone know? Do you have to have marine insurance & certification for that craft?

We could not get PLI for our show re Taking Vehicle into water.. Insurance company said NO..

We could not get PLI for our show re Taking Vehicle into water.. Insurance company said NO..

Well I'm sure the MVT Safety Officer Steve Edwards would have it all sorted, he's very thorough.

Or perhaps they got vehicle owners to sign a disclaimer.

Do you have to have marine insurance & certification for that craft?

Bit of searching &.. Amphibious vehicle have to comply with the Boat Safety Certificate scheme which is needed for use on inland waters.

Was Steve Edwards the MVT Safety Officer at Wickstead at War.

If so I think he needs to up his game a bit, having tracked vehicles on a slope with no chocks almost ended in disaster. Lesson there for everyone, chock your wheels on hills.

And in my opinion the public was way to close to the slip way as vehicles entered the water, area should have been roped off earlier to stop public getting so close.

It was still a great show and I look forward to next years.

Bit of searching &.. Amphibious vehicle have to comply with the Boat Safety Certificate scheme which is needed for use on inland waters.

That might be for river & canals, but wonder if the same applies to a lake on an estate.

Not wanting to cause more trouble but in the air display environment all pilots have to be approved prior to displaying in front of the public, Marmite was asking who checked out the crew were capable of displaying on the water and the same questions were asked at the weekend, has it ever been suggested that before a vehicle enters a public arena it has been seen by the organisers and deemed 'responsible/suitable' for display?

That's a fine point. I know at A&E 2012 I turned several tanks and tracks away at the last minute (also actually one on the day) because the 'paper work' wasn't up to scratch. Have a swim in is a cracking idea and it would be good to see but a serious protocol needs to be put in place. I would have hated to have seen Neil in trouble in the middle of the lake :-(

would be good to see but a serious protocol needs to be put in place. I would have hated to have seen Neil in trouble in the middle of the lake :-(

I think Divers on Standby is a must.. You never see Film Sets no matter how small involving anything on the water without Divers nearby so why should what we do be any different?? & please don't say it's down to costs..

Unless I've missed it there seems to be nothing related to Vehicles on the Water in the MVT Safety Guide.. Probably because since this was written Shows are evolving & looking to do something different all the time & it probably didn't cross anybody's mind..

http://www.mvt.org.uk/safety/Event%20Guidance%20Document%20V1.pdf

Edited by Marmite!!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments on this thread, I have read them through in detail. Of course there are lessons to be learnt from this, I agree with you that the marshalling of people around the launch ramp was not good enough, this will be resolved. You are right about the MVT safety code not having anything about vehicles in the water as we looked for this.

Regards insurance, Wicksteed park used to run 2 DUKWS in the lake as pleasure cruisers taking public out onto the lake and so their insurance is adequate and would cover this. This was a risk, however nobody got hurt, the safety boat was there and provided support when it was needed, the recovery crew did an excellent job in getting the vehicle out safely, had we not provided them things would have been very different. We also knew that the lake wasn't really deep so did not feel the need to provide divers.

The Park are happy with what took place and will be referring this to their safety committee as will we with ours to look for ways to improve the safety of this event. As for getting Neil out of the OT should it have sunk, we discussed this with the YHA qualified safety boat instructor and he was comfortable and confident that the extraction would be possible.

I am really pleased that on the whole everyone enjoyed the event and it looks like some of you wish to return next year. We are always looking for volunteers to help marshall and make the show safer, with your experience I would hope that some of you come forward and make the show the success that it will be in 2014. You will find my contact details at http://www.wicksteedatwar.co.uk if you are willing to get involved with us.

Tim Hawkes

Show director

Wicksteed at War

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments on this thread, I have read them through in detail. Of course there are lessons to be learnt from this, I agree with you that the marshalling of people around the launch ramp was not good enough, this will be resolved. You are right about the MVT safety code not having anything about vehicles in the water as we looked for this..........

Tim Hawkes

Show director

Wicksteed at War

Hi Tim,

thank you for taking the time to read the thread & your reply.

Cheers Lee

IMG_0801.jpg

Thanks for this one Ian - I have a problem right now with that rear door closing and was dreading the thought it was due to the bank impact. However looking at your photo I can see the impact was on the sprocket guard and track. I need to have a look else where for the reason why the entire door seems to have moved in towards the centreline by 4 or 5 mm.