Wicksteed at War - MVT National Show

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited today & it was great to see Alec's Ford GPA & the Schwimmwagen have a swim, I was surprised how quickly the Schwim went.

Also great to meet Neil & his OT90, I just don't think it was deep enough once off the slipway & it just started churning up the mud & got stuck & possibly lost steerage, it made for very uncomfortable viewing to see someone with their pride & joy get into difficulty, thank fully no-one was hurt & vehicle unscathed.

I think credit to him for having the balls to do it in the first place.

Shame I never knew you was coming Paul, would have been great to meet up. Did you stay for the evening entertainment, the big band and Paul Wayre was great, best evening I have had all year.

Hi Ian, was a last minute decision as busy doing admin for our show + thought do I do the hedges & mow the lawns, then thought sod it I'm going out.

Me and the family were watching the swimmers and were stood exactly on the spot where Neil decided to reverse up the concrete bank! I have never seen my other half move so quickly, or indeed the kids! Great weekend though, Neil did say he would do it again, next year then, can't wait:)

Me and the family were watching the swimmers and were stood exactly on the spot where Neil decided to reverse up the concrete bank! I have never seen my other half move so quickly, or indeed the kids!

Lucky he didn't make it up the bank then :shocked: Good to see everyone survived :D

What's the point of having a walker if he doesn't keep an eye on what's going on around him.. the kid coming in from the right reminds me of the argument that Ian2b got in at W&P with a parent, a kid tried to stick his arm in the track of Mark Harts 432 as it passed by, Ian grabbed him & pulled him out the way saving his arm.. You need a lot more marshalls when moving big kit like this about..

What's the point of having a walker if he doesn't keep an eye on what's going on around him.. the kid coming in from the right reminds me of the argument that Ian2b got in at W&P with a parent, a kid tried to stick his arm in the track of Mark Harts 432 as it passed by, Ian grabbed him & pulled him out the way saving his arm.. You need a lot more marshalls when moving big kit like this about..

Commander in the turret with comms should be the last resort in this case then! As a thought try walking backwards with an AFV trundling along behind you not easy as you're trying to marshal a vehicle moving forwards and looking forward at the same time. An extra bod walking behind the vehicle watching the crowd might be useful?

Comms in vehicles I have seen people driving about in AFV's without them on at War and Peace and the like its worth having them as an extra pair of eyes who can communicate with the driver if something untoward happened.

Sorry but the Marshaling has got to be questioned.. :shocked:

It certainly would have been safer to turn around and drive out than to reverse blindly into a crowd! Was that rubber flying off the tracks or mud?

Sorry but the Marshaling has got to be questioned.. :shocked:

To be honest the Marshaling was pretty good......the problem there was the general public doing their damdest to get as close as possible even when advised,asked and instructed to keep clear.

People were, even mobbing trying to get a closer look when the recovery truck was winching.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing as can be viewed on the thread about recovery. ALL of the Marshals did their best....sometimes things dont always workout as planned..........look at Concorde !!!!

Regarding the general public at shows, we have resisted up til now not to "rope" of our vehicles as i believe its nice to let people get up close. BUT this weekend has convinced us, ropping off needs to be done sometimes.

I had to asked 4 people to remove their "orrible" kids from out of our vehicles...

To be honest the Marshaling was pretty good......the problem there was the general public doing their damdest to get as close as possible even when advised,asked and instructed to keep clear.

Then you don't go ahead with an event until they comply.. As a show organiser I know how the public can behave, you just have to be really firm with them.. simple..

Edited by Marmite!!

Those kids do look a bit close as that amphibian was getting into the drink.... One accident and it could ruin the way shows are held, or the uproar could even make a show an unviable proposition

Well said, my point exactly.. if a marshal can't handle a bunch of kids.. even the big kids then it's not a job for them. I appreciate most marshals are volunteers but that's no excuse.. This is not a pop at the show.. just the poor Marshaling I've seen in the videos..

Edited by Marmite!!

Those kids do look a bit close as that amphibian was getting into the drink.... One accident and it could ruin the way shows are held, or the uproar could even make a show an unviable proposition

I'm not sure that the kids were as close as it seems through the "Lens"

Of course Marmite is correct re general safety, but lets not forget that things happen even with the best planning.

How many people have had near misses at W&P with under age people screaming around on quads. Two years ago I was almost hit by a 432 that was belting around in the field I was camping in. When I reported it to a marshal the response I received was " if I did not like it I knew where the exit was" .

I'm not sure that the kids were as close as it seems through the "Lens"

Of course Marmite is correct re general safety, but lets not forget that things happen even with the best planning.

How many people have had near misses at W&P with under age people screaming around on quads. Two years ago I was almost hit by a 432 that was belting around in the field I was camping in. When I reported it to a marshal the response I received was " if I did not like it I knew where the exit was" .

Well done to all who worked hard on the show . Great weekend

I had a great time over the weekend - even including sitting in a lake for well over an hour :D Got there late on Friday due to an accident on the A14 delaying the transport picking up the OT but nothing serious and soon had camp set up with the aid of Nick and Paul from Trappers. - Just opposite Dave and Greg from the W&P team so ensuring a lively weekend!! Lee's posted the caravan crushing on the Sat so no need to revisit that, Nick took his one through the caravan on Sunday so we shared the load. Some nice vehicles - and people - in attendance and the photo's are here:

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/ArtistsRifles/slideshow/Wicksteed%20at%20War%202013

The lake incident was interesting to say the least - just my luck to be the first one in and find out how deep the silt was on the lake bottom!! We rumbled out and off the ramp and all seemed OK then maybe a vehicles length further on the nose dipped sharply on the drivers side and water started climbing up the front deck fast. I'll happily admit I hit the panic button and whipped it into reverse thinking that a drive shaft seal had failed. Needless to say a moments thought would have gone along the lines - boots are still dry so not a leak then - maybe the lake bottom is shelving and we are finally floating" - but hindsight is always 20/20! I think the sudden change in direction cost us the grip in the silt and the tracks started slipping - I know I could feel them clunking through my feet. The chap from Red Alliance in the commanders seat was experienced as vehicle commander - on dry land -but neither of us had any experience in water so has no idea what to expect, aquatic ops in a BMP class aren't a thing easily researched either.

Anyway's, with thoughts of having to to possibly bail out filling our minds neither of us thought to look backward to see if we had lost lock on the slipway - which we obviously had! As we approached he bank the track suddenly gripped and at the RPM we were running at to make headway through the slit we suddenly shot back and hit the bank. Luckily no one was hurt and minimal damage was caused to the bank walls (apparently they are all being ripped out over the winter to create wetlands). However we got stuck and had to be pushed off and then no amount of trying would let us turn to face the ramp to exit the water. And so began the recovery operation to pull the front around enough for us to crawl out.

If they are on the forum I'd say again a big thank you to the guys with the Scammell wrecker who carried out the operation.

Saturday night saw us in the ballroom sampling the many original ales on sale and making the most of our entrants discount! The band and singers were excellent during the evening, some of the best I've seen and heard.

Sunday - apart from one incident - was a quiet day spent wandering around chatting and photographing again, the highlight being the passes by the Lancaster!!! Always such a treat to see and hear that flying overhead :)

The incident occurred in the afternoon - the crows had all gone down to the arena leaving the upper vehicle rank quiet and I was leant against the side of the OT talking to Thomas and James who were sat on top when I heard a "thunk" from within the hull followed by the vehicle rolling backwards - luckily 9 or so people behind saw it move too and leant into it to slow it whilst I scooted around the front to jump up thinking the handbrake cable had gone. I was shocked to hear one of the two guys on top suddenly call out "whatever you just did - do it the other way" - we'd had a kid enter in through an open back door, crawl over the ammo racks and commanders seat into the drivers and release the handbrake because he thought it would be fun. This kid promptly scooted backwards to try getting out the way he came in allowing Thomas to jump in and apply the handbrake again. The kid vanished into the crowd - no sign of any parents anywhere. The lesson learnt there is in future I'll ensure wheel chocks are used and the vehicle is always locked - literally - down. Prior to this I've always been happy to let people and their children climb in providing they ask and a crew member is present. Won't be risking that any more.

Had to go and treat myself to an excellent curry from the Ghurka Kitchen to recuperate afterwards!!

But this was the only downer in an otherwise excellent weekend and I look forwards to going again. Tim and the crew put on an excellent show and to them, too, I would say a big thank you for such a fun weekend!!

It certainly would have been safer to turn around and drive out than to reverse blindly into a crowd! Was that rubber flying off the tracks or mud?

That was mud - well - silt - coming off the tracks - I checked the resilient pads after and they had no more damage to them than before.

It was physically impossible to turn the vehicle around in the silt. As soon as on track braked the other just lost what little grip it had. Hitting the bank came as a surprise as (a) I though we were much further out and (b) it doesn't seem it in the video but the tracks bit at the last moment and went from almost zero traction to full instantly.

It was an experience - an interesting one - and lessons were learnt for next time. For the record we did want a third man in the back hooked into the intercom but there were not enough life jackets so we went in with just two of us. Won't do that again - it will be at least 3 or not at all. We will also have towing hawsers rigged on the front shackles so that if needed the recovery hawser can be quickly connected.