Wicksteed at War - MVT National Show

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That side tilt on the GMC with the outrigger poles is a very neat idea! Wonder if it was copied from a wartime photo?

No it was just a quick fix that the owner came up with prior to the show, it looks well though and I'm sure similar things were done in wartime. Thanks to everyone who took pictures of our little enclave with the ambulance and halftrack, if its ok can I borrow them as my camera has had a problem and none of my pics have come out?

No it was just a quick fix that the owner came up with prior to the show, it looks well though and I'm sure similar things were done in wartime. Thanks to everyone who took pictures of our little enclave with the ambulance and halftrack, if its ok can I borrow them as my camera has had a problem and none of my pics have come out?

I am happy if you wanna use any of mine, but I'm no David bailey

Thanks for this one Ian - I have a problem right now with that rear door closing and was dreading the thought it was due to the bank impact. However looking at your photo I can see the impact was on the sprocket guard and track. I need to have a look else where for the reason why the entire door seems to have moved in towards the centreline by 4 or 5 mm.

Hi Neil, looking at the photo it looks as if the bottom hinge might have come into contact with the wall before the sprocket guard. It's difficult to tell how much the hinge protrudes from the angle photographed but if it had taken a clout against the wall with that weight of vehicle and at some speed I think it might just have moved the door over. I have had to straighten/bend lots of car door hinges over the years and only a very small deflection on the hinge will alter the door position quite considerably.

Hi Neil, looking at the photo it looks as if the bottom hinge might have come into contact with the wall before the sprocket guard. ..............

Taking a look at it for Neil at the weekend, will report back..

I have followed this thread from the start and quite frankly find some of the comments made rather distasteful to say the least. I am very surprised that this thread has been allowed to continue when much less contentious posts and threads have in the past been pulled by the mods and the 'perpetrators' reprimanded. A recent court case has shown that it is not the exact wording that matters but what people read into it. Jack please look into all this thread.

I have followed this thread from the start and quite frankly find some of the comments made rather distasteful to say the least. I am very surprised that this thread has been allowed to continue when much less contentious posts and threads have in the past been pulled by the mods and the 'perpetrators' reprimanded. A recent court case has shown that it is not the exact wording that matters but what people read into it. Jack please look into all this thread.

Degsy,

as you have read the whole thread you will be aware that Jack is aware of it & has commented on it (see below) We have also discussed this in the office & he was in agreement that the incident should be highlighted to bring awareness to the hobby in the hope to make it safer..

Tim Hawkes the Co-Director of the show has is also aware of the thread & has commented, he has not made a complaint to us about it's content or asked us to remove or edit the thread. I'm sure that all the comments in the thread will be taken on board by the organisers of Wicksteed at War (& other show organisers) & will only go to make future shows better & safer.

Tim can contact us anytime if he is not happy with anything, he is in contact with myself via Facebook & through his association with the Bunker Bash Show.

I would hope the whole incident is being investigated by the MVT as that is a combination of errors that could have seriously cost lives. Lucky day for everyone involved and a lucky day for our hobby.

I don't think that's the case here Gary.

HMVF does discuss incidents that happen at shows and on the roads. We heavily discuss what happens at the W&P show and using the helicopter incident for an example and then the crazies on quads etc etc and BB nuts and so on.

This was a national show and could have seriously damaged the whole hobby. Many folks spend a lot of time pushing this hobby and our history forward. If this hobby is to self regulate then this incident is a massive wake up call to all of us. As we all know, MV's have blind spots everywhere but tracked vehicles are blindspot central and as we all know tracks and armour are a whole world a part from soft skins - they need a whole different approach and mindset in their handling.

There are lessons as always to be gained from this BUT such a thing isn't rocket science but it is complacent.

Ah, that was just my cousin robs ingenuity

Not taking anything away from "cousin Rob" but I've seen that in a wartime photo, I believe it was in southern England,build up to D Day ( I may be mistaken) ;)

Problem is I cant find it or remember when I saw it...DOH :blush:

Saying that it looked good we went for a closer look,with permission of course.

If we are interested in taking the hobby forward then what is required is a clear set of guidelines for swimming at shows that is adopted by the MVT. The Wicksteed at War show followed the MVT guidelines to the letter, with nothing in there about swimming it was difficult to get right. The show was incredibly popular with great feedback, we received no complaints from the public about safety and nobody got hurt, or even injured, we must remember this.

I shall be producing my own comprehensive guidelines for the next Wicksteed at war show to cover this for the swimming of vehicles. If any of you would like to contribute to this then they are welcome. Maybe then after the next show the MVT might adopt it as policy, it is not what has happened, this is about preventing what might, which hasn't happened in the past.

I have no complaints about this comment string, it is essentially my show and this feedback is useful. Putting on a show takes an incredible amount of work, whilst you try to make everything as safe as possible things fall through the cracks. The MVT safety guidelines should be updated as a result of every show report that is submitted to them, then we would have a current document covering all the possible issues.

It is important to remember that the show was a great success, we had over 9000 visitors to the park, a great selection of vehicles on show and activities for the whole family, and the volunteers worked very hard. This is what I set out to achieve. It will be better for next year.

Tim Hawkes

Show Director

Wicksteed at War

If we are interested in taking the hobby forward then what is required is a clear set of guidelines for swimming at shows that is adopted by the MVT. The Wicksteed at War show followed the MVT guidelines to the letter, with nothing in there about swimming it was difficult to get right. The show was incredibly popular with great feedback, we received no complaints from the public about safety and nobody got hurt, or even injured, we must remember this.

I shall be producing my own comprehensive guidelines for the next Wicksteed at war show to cover this for the swimming of vehicles. If any of you would like to contribute to this then they are welcome. Maybe then after the next show the MVT might adopt it as policy, it is not what has happened, this is about preventing what might, which hasn't happened in the past.

I have no complaints about this comment string, it is essentially my show and this feedback is useful. Putting on a show takes an incredible amount of work, whilst you try to make everything as safe as possible things fall through the cracks. The MVT safety guidelines should be updated as a result of every show report that is submitted to them, then we would have a current document covering all the possible issues.

It is important to remember that the show was a great success, we had over 9000 visitors to the park, a great selection of vehicles on show and activities for the whole family, and the volunteers worked very hard. This is what I set out to achieve. It will be better for next year.

Tim Hawkes

Show Director

Wicksteed at War

Much admiration to you Tim. That is a perfect answer that no one can argue with. And good on you for allowing this thread to run because I think there is some great feedback in there that you are using to nail it for next year.

I don't often post on threads concerning the MVT but felt I had to on this one. My gut feelings were, this is seriously not good for the hobby on all levels. And yes, I am the first one to say pull a post if it concerns putting our hobby in a bad light as we know that the powers that be watch HMVF.

BUT what I wanted to make clear to the world is that actually this hobbyis grown up, can self regulate and I think it has just done that and with Tim's response and feedback even more so as it takes courage to sit there and take on board the feedback that has been posted - most people just put their fingers in their ears. I think all round the hobby may have just shifted forward a bit. The hobby at it's best.

Moving on. So back to the photos of the event everyone.

Jack!

Edited by Jack