Are dug up items like this really selling ?

Willyslancs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jeep-Ww2-Willys-Artifact-Mb-/190551264612?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item2c5dbd8d64 :wow: im sure i can find some nearer home ;)

(just off out to the garage , then to plant some in the garden )

Yes, things like that do sell, I have seen a lot of stalls selling dug up items, some from WW1, some later. I myself have some Minie ball rounds dug up from an American Civil War battlefield.

when in Normandy in 2004 I used a metal detector a bit (not on a beach) and turned up a few bits and bobs...some spent shell cases and lots of bits of shrapnel but the best I found was a GI issue pocket knife...complete but a bit rusty and crusty...I took it along to the museum thats in the 'middle' of Omaha and one of the fella's there instantly recognised it and took me to see one they had in a cabinet on display...asked me where I found it and got reasonably excited...

I gotta say though......not excited enough to offer to swap it for the rather nice Sherman parked outside though..tsk!

Are dug up items like this really selling ?

Well with no bids as yet it isn't selling.

Question for me is how has it come to be for sale in the first place? Is there no restriction on what you can dig up and sell? Where's the limit or does it depend on where you actually dig things up?

Antique dealers burry things for a period of time "distressing" to enhance the valuation ..

Damn! You mean I've wasted lots of time and money removing a lot of the distressed look from my Vehicles :cry:

Antique dealers burry things for a period of time "distressing" to enhance the valuation ..

I seem to remember a 'Time Team' episode where this had happened. It was a few years ago, and I remember that they weren't very happy finding out it wasn't a real find, just planted.

You dig em up, and I'll print a certificate of authenticity.... Got the printer switched on ready............

Why bother you can probably save paper and ink money by buying them on ebay.

Now have a cunning plan.

Remove knackered bonnet. Paint olive drab and add a star. shoot a few holes in it.

Bury it in a pile of farmyard manure for a few months (should age it nicely)

Take to normandy and bury on beach. With a few jeep bits.

Get a friendly metal detectorist to discover it, print certificate of authenticity.

Sell on ebay as "extremely rare" bonnet recoverd from site of the Normandy D-Day landings.

Some idiot will buy it.

As it is on ebay and everything on the internet is correct there is the added bonus that not only was every jeep ever built on the beaches there would have been atleast one (evidence above) Land Rover and that would make mine eligble for A&E:D

Mike

There is one smaaaaal problem! The Gendarme's carry BIG guns, and have major sense of humour faliure over un licensed metal detectors. As for getting said licence, easier to walk back acros sthe Channel. :-D

Mind you go digging in some of the lcocal barns! Oddles of lovley stuff, including my two 1943 dated jerry cans that are sand colourd (And always have been)

There is one smaaaaal problem! The Gendarme's carry BIG guns, and have major sense of humour faliure over un licensed metal detectors. As for getting said licence, easier to walk back acros sthe Channel. :-D

Mind you go digging in some of the lcocal barns! Oddles of lovley stuff, including my two 1943 dated jerry cans that are sand colourd (And always have been)

OK so we have 2 options here.

Option 1

Take a bigger gun (probably get in even more trouble).

Option 2

Bury it on a beach near Karachi (I am sure they don't mind you hiding there) i and get a farmer from Normandy with a metal detector to find it.

You can then describe it a "Shot up bonnet found buried on French Beach by a Normandy Farmer"

You would not be lying.

Mike

OK so we have 2 options here.

Option 1

Take a bigger gun (probably get in even more trouble).

Option 2

Bury it on a beach near Karachi (I am sure they don't mind you hiding there) i and get a farmer from Normandy with a metal detector to find it.

You can then describe it a "Shot up bonnet found buried on French Beach by a Normandy Farmer"

You would not be lying.

Mike

:-D If you go looking under waste tips, you never know what you might find, sand preserves things quite well, see enclosed all the better if the firm removes the sand for you saves a lot of work!!!

as seen sept 1978.jpg

Also when they catch you they will confiscate your car and any artefacts fine you etc. when released you have to make your own way home.......on foot.

Many years ago tried to warn a guy as he was dragging a vickers on its stand back to his car in full view of the local police as soon as he managed to get it into his van they pounced.

Ashley

Just remembered at Old Warden Sunday was a stall with a bloke selling framed bits of crashed aircraft with a picture of what it was from.

Although it would be hard to tell if the bolt or whatever was actually from a Wellington/Dornier/Sabre or a Land Rover

They were priced from about £40 upwards so must be a market for this sort of stuff.

Mike

Did any of you spot the bloke selling 'Somme' artefacts at the Overlord show? Supposedly found field walking, except for the photo's of the big holes he had dug getting artefacts out.

I can always authenticate it for you, I'm an archaeologist.

Bits of mashed metal and tubs of sand are the thin end of the wedge,I have seen a number of dog tags from MIA's,both American and German WWI and 2 offered on ebay,one of the worst was a seller in Eastern Europe who was very openly digging up graves of German soldiers and selling everything he found with the exception of the bones(though he included photos of those too in his listings).

There are some sick ****ers out there:mad: