Fuel

griff66

Passed one place yesterday with diesel at 144.9 ppl (in the West County), the highest I have yet seen.

It now costs me £100 or so to fill the Defender and I use two tankfulls a week :cry:

If you really want to depress yourself, work out how much of your income goes to the taxman overall - income tax and NI, then fuel tax, road fund licence, insurance premium tax, then VAT on all these taxes and on everything else you spend. It gets depressing.

If you want to be really depressed, see what Venezuela charges for petrol. In my Adventure Bike Rider magazine it was printed that they are paying 0.7 pence per litre:wow::wow:. It costs 33 pence to fill the average tank. I reckon I'd be better selling everything and moving there. I could buy fuel the rest of my life just on some meager savings...

Surly with the price of petrol and Diesel fuel going up is it getting close to steam cars being a viable alternative !

One problem. Steam cars used Petrol to heat up the water to make steam, which is why they failed to catch on. If you used another fuel supply, like Gas, wouldn't that be taxed as well?

I once heard about someone running a car on Chicken poo. Is this viable?

Chicken poo or pig poo is the best. Anerobic digester producing metheane gas. I know a transport company that has a pig farm attached. In their wisdom the local authority decided to build a huge housing estae nearby, and then complained of the smell! So a digester was installed. The pigs make a loss, but the value of the electric produced now more than makes up for it.

Saw something along those lines on an episode of Countryfile.

A huge dairy farm in the US collects all the "waste" and processes it.

They can produce enough "fuel" to make their tractors and trucks almost self sufficient.

Not to forget Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome which was all methane from pigs.

Mike

The same thing can happen when you eat to many beans...:-D

Blame your stomach bugs!:D The Human body does not produce methane it is the bacteria in your gut. Incidentaly a breath test can pick up the Methane. According to U.S. Research, poor Lad, if you do have Methane on your breath you will be Obbese, but can blame it on the 'Wrong sort of bugs'. :blush:

Oh, and don't forget Methane is a major greenhouse gas! So In 1901 Lodon was having to dispose of about one and a quarter MILLION tons of horse muck per year, we can't use Methane because of green house. Maybe we will back to Ox carts, fancy that then lads? A right load of Bulloucks?

Oh, and don't forget Methane is a major greenhouse gas! So In 1901 Lodon was having to dispose of about one and a quarter MILLION tons of horse muck per year, we can't use Methane because of green house. Maybe we will back to Ox carts, fancy that then lads? A right load of Bulloucks?

If methane is a major greenhouse gas, I believe cattle produce it as well.

As such an Ox cart is equally bad for the environment and "global warming".

Therefore we should be running our vehicles on it.

By burning it we get rid of the horrible greenhouse gas, so it must be an environmently friendly fuel and we can be paid to get rid of it.

There is probably a flaw in this plan somewhere.

Mike

Surly with the price of petrol and Diesel fuel going up is it getting close to steam cars being a viable alternative !

What would the costs per mile work out to be ?

One problem. Steam cars used Petrol to heat up the water to make steam, which is why they failed to catch on.
Our steam cars when they are working return around 8-9 miles to the gallon on fuel, we dont use petrol we use petrol diesel mix (aka contam) from the local garage which cost nothing as they have to pay to get rid of it normally. water wise the condensing cars can do a claimed 100miles on a tank of water but you have to have a way of removing the oil from the water as oily water is not good inside a boiler.

Steam cars failing to catch on is a far more complicated than just fuel. Steam cars compared to petrol cars of the same period where a lot faster both in acceleration and top speed and almost silent (a friend of ours has just sold one that did 85mph and was still accelerating when he bottled it) and im sure that Antarmike will comment on them being silent lol. The maintenance cost were higher and they where expensive to produce, Stanley's were almost 10x more expensive than the Model T.

If they were not so expensive to purchase I would driving one now but with prices starting around £15000 and going to around £500000 insurance for a start if you are using it for commuting would rule it out.

A viable alternative for a cheep car/ military vehicle to run would one with a multi fuel engine.

I had heard that some will run on vodka that's bloody cheaper by the litre than fuel in some places. anyone know of a multi fuel engine that would fit into a Series Landrover?

Pete Stevens-with-a-v

Edited by Steifbear

Steam cars failing to catch on is a far more complicated than just fuel. Steam cars compared to petrol cars of the same period where a lot faster both in acceleration and top speed and almost silent (a friend of ours has just sold one that did 85mph and was still accelerating when he bottled it) and im sure that Antarmike will comment on them being silent lol. The maintenance cost were higher and they where expensive to produce, Stanley's were almost 10x more expensive than the Model T.

A viable alternative for a cheep car/ military vehicle to run would one with a multi fuel engine.

I had heard that some will run on vodka that's bloody cheaper by the litre than fuel in some places. anyone know of a multi fuel engine that would fit into a Series Landrover?

Pete Stevens-with-a-v

The basic problem with steam powered cars is that they've lost the sixty-odd years of development that internal combustion vehicles have had. Look at the recent steam car speed record to see how little we've progressed. As for multi-fuels, are we looking at a sharp rise in the price of K60s? :-)

Andy