Lead replacement

Maverick

These beads by such as Broquet etc. etc. will in fact be a sintered metal such that it can disolve , in texture they look like a sintered bronze filter (these tank thingies do disolve but I very much doubt if they slow down valve seat regression).

A quality fuel tank , used on such as a Rolls Royce , and early Land Rover tanks (until later S3) (that had seams) - were made of a material called Terne Steel (tinned steel sheet) , so I suppose if you had a tank that was rusty internally then possibly the fuel (or a contaminent in diesel esp. home brew bio types) had disolved away the pure tin coating , I don't think I have seen a tank internal coat eroded away by petrol ..

I've heard that an ex mil engine that has run on leaded fuel over its early years can have enough protection to run on unleaded as long as (A) it's not hammered, and (B) not driven long distance at one go. I used Castrol Valvemaster, but now I've got an "unleaded" cylinder head after an unassociated problem.

My Grandfather worked for the Fairey Aviation Company during WW2 in fact he was one of the Bosses, he had first hand experience of these pelts through test performed by the company, I remember him talking about them years ago. There not a lead replacement they do as stated previously act as a catalyst to obtain better combustion of the fuel, as also state this was due to the lack of refinement of the Russian grade aviation fuel, which was very poor in quality when compare to the British equivalent High octane high lead petrol, I remembering him tell me that the aircraft sent to Russia perform very badly on the home nation fuel in fact if caused internal mechanical damage to some Merlin engines, and meant others would not run at all. The main problems were at start up and even more so in cold Russian winter weather, the tin pelts help the situation but were in no way a cure, the real answer was RAF grade aviation fuel.

As to Tetraethyl lead being lethal, toxic etc, try this for size and sheep graze on this old WW2 site :eek:

Nige Hpencil.png

TEL sludge.jpg

Edited by Axenige

I've stayed quite till now. I've used Broquet catalysts, the same two for years. They have always worked for me. Lowering emissions and in a supposedly un-usable with unleade Montego keeping it going for a couple of years no problem. Catalyst= Takes no part in the reaction, but a reaction will not occur without it present. So of course it dosen't change.

I've stayed quite till now. I've used Broquet catalysts, the same two for years. They have always worked for me. Lowering emissions and in a supposedly un-usable with unleade Montego keeping it going for a couple of years no problem. Catalyst= Takes no part in the reaction, but a reaction will not occur without it present. So of course it dosen't change.

That would tie in with some of the reports and "tests" I have read. They do do something and even improving consumption and helping performance. These of course were not exactly scientific tests. But they would tie in with allowing aircraft to run better on low grade fuels.

I do not believe they will stop valve seat regression, which is what most people believe they are a miracle cure for. Yhen from reading some of the information available there are plenty of pour in additives rhat are apparently no good for this either.

Depending on vehicle, engine and availability of unleaded heads it maybe worth saving your pennis for one of those when your valves seats go, if they do.

Maybe I am just totally skeptical after having a car that I was told could run unleaded petrol with a slight timing adjustment,all it did was foul the plugs.

Mike

PS: Currently saving pennies for unleaded head and possible other bits for my S3 109 as it has a few issues anyway.

If these pellets are catalysts, would they not have to be present at the point of combustion to have an effect? The platinum in a car exhaust helps the unburned fuel and excess oxygen burn in the convertor to reduce emmisions. If the pellets remain in the fuel tank and do not dissolve, how can they affect the rate of combustion/detonation after the fuel has left the tank and entered the combustion chamber?

Once my local garage ran out of leaded, I have used unleaded with no problem but I don't run max throttle/max revs! (Daimler Dingo engine a B60 and two B80's)

Once my local garage ran out of leaded, I have used unleaded with no problem but I don't run max throttle/max revs! (Daimler Dingo engine a B60 and two B80's)

That's not a problem, leaded Petrol or additives are not needed, RR issued a service bulletin stating that the B-Series was ok on unleaded.

a4d58d2e.jpg

your truck your needs, to me it goes like this...

unleaded additives are scientifically tested and known to work, are cleaner and safer than the old lead additives in petrol.

lead in the tank is sold by ?.... do they offer scientifically tested solutions or affidavits from people who say it worked, sorry but this is highly unlikely to be proof positive.

however lead is a poison, used in the right places it is fine, used in engines it is dangerous and noxious so even if it worked at any level it is wrong to use it so please stop it NOW. for the sake of the planet..

however lead is a poison, used in the right places it is fine, used in engines it is dangerous and noxious so even if it worked at any level it is wrong to use it so please stop it NOW. for the sake of the planet..

If you were worried about the planet, you probably wouldn't run a large fleet of old diesels pumping out all their carcinogenic particulates. Hypothetically speaking of course....;)

When you think that you are taliking of Military Engines. They are built to run on any C*ap you get to put in the tank. 101's for instance use a low compression version of the V8, I never had any trouble running it on unleaded. The Dodge, the problem is the modern fuel is to goo for it. An electronic ignition gives much smother runinmg. As for Catalyst's. I've used them for years on all sorts of vehicles. The same three, two pellets in mesh , purchased about fifteen years ago, one tube one slavaged of a Range Rover. My empirical experience is that they keep fuel fresh and drop exhaust emmisions. Apart from am old Montego, according to manufacturer could not be converted to run on unleaded in any form (Why I purchsed the original catalyst) this engine dropped a con rod, after the sump gasket started leacking but had run about 70,000 miles on unleaded. The vehicles have always been scrapped for other reasons than engine wear.

If you were worried about the planet, you probably wouldn't run a large fleet of old diesels pumping out all their carcinogenic particulates. Hypothetically speaking of course....;)

ah some things exist and have to remain, putting lead in your fuel intentionally is an act of planetary and humanoid violence...desist...;):-D