Military Vehicle Sale Catalogues

Morris C8

I bought this 1947 Auction army vehicle sale catalogue last week and the info on what went for sale just after the war. nice to see the service reg numbers that they had during the war. There are 2,523 vehicles for sale in the catalogue from bikes to bren carriers ect. This catalouge has 79 pages and one Austin 10 Saloon car went for £30. Good for research. Has any one made a list of all the ww2 vehicles sale catalogues. On the bike page there is a Levis motor bike for sale, Levis motor bikes were made from 1911 untill 1940.

Edited by Morris C8
more info

One more sale catalougue from Bordon April 1947, most of the pages have Jeeps and Bren carries for sale, what other parts of the UK did they sale military vehicles from.

Interesting, thanks for posting, my father and his brother went to a sale near Oxford in 1947 to buy a Jeep but they all made lots of money, uncle bought a DUKW it had a fuel problem they had to tow it home behind his Dodge command car

Edited by Nick Johns

Those were the days 'Without Reserve' The only time you see that now is bankruptcy or Baillif sales. Give an idea of prices though, Ron who owns our yard tells me he bought a three ton Dodge from auction for £300, worked it into the floor , no hours then, if you could get the fuel to haul a load you were in the money (Knowing Ron as he is now, wouldn't even want to ask about how he got fuel). He eventually sold it for £400 and bought his first house.

Edited by Tony B

Great to see those old catalogs - thanks for sharing them!

just think what 900 x 16 tyres would cost now , then 5 @ £9. Now up to £200 each.

I found an online calculator at http://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/. This is the result:

Current data is only available till 2008. In 2008, £9 0s 0d from 1947 is worth

£263.00 using the retail price index

£815.00 using average earnings

Another comparison for the Dodge Tony's uncle bought:

Current data is only available till 2008. In 2008, £300 0s 0d from 1947 is worth

£8,760.00 using the retail price index

£27,200.00 using average earnings

So vehicles were not really cheap in those days - remember demand was much higher than supply.

Most of the motorcycles seem to have civilian registration numbers so were presumably from non-WD government departments. The Levis in particular must have been civilian impressed.

Are there any motorcycles in the Bordon catalogue ?

Hi, there are no motorcycles in the Bordon catalogue but over 500 Bren Carriers and over 150 Jeeps in it. There are over 550 motorcycles in the Kirmington catalogue.

Hi Radek, The park serial numbers do not go that high. There are a few Austin 10 hp utility Austin 10 hp saloon and Austin 8 hp Touring cars + a few Austin Ambulance , Austin GS trucks 30 cwt and 3 ton, Austin crew carrier, Austin workshop lorry, in the sale.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Besides Kirmington and Bordon the Ministry of Supply were selling vehicles in 1947 from -

Royal Ordnance Factory, Kempston Hardwick, Elstow, Near Bedford.

Storage Depot, Mount Farm Aerodrome, Dorchester, Oxfordshire.

Storage Depot, Ripple Road, Barking, Essex.

Storage Depot, Byram Hall, Near Pontefract, Yorkshire.

Storage Depot, Winterslow, Near Salisbury.

I think these were a mixture of military and civilian registered vehicles.

• 4 months later...

[h=2]icon1.png BORDON SALE 1947[/h]

I was particularly interested in your posting re Military Vehicle Sale Catalogues April 1947 Lots 1035-2151 at Bordon. I attended this sale and purchased a GWP slatfront Ford Jeep for £150, which I kept for 3 years as my sole means of transport. This was following my de-mob from the Navy. I wish I had it now ! To the best of my recollection they were selling about 600 jeeps,many of them in lots of 2 and 6. If you have the remaining pages of this catalogue I would love to have a copy, particularly the section covering Jeeps; I note your interest in Humber staff cars. I drove one of these in Singapore for a while.<Regards <BR>Tony (new member afasey)

Interesting, thanks for posting, my father and his brother went to a sale near Oxford in 1947 to buy a Jeep but they all made lots of money, uncle bought a DUKW it had a fuel problem they had to tow it home behind his Dodge command car

Nick

that was possibly at Mount Farm ex 9th USAAF photo recon airfield near to Benson about 8miles south of Oxford?

Large amounts of war surplus kit was sold off there my Farther and uncle also went to buy a van about the same time but found the prices too high for them. I think you'll find that a fair bit of the early kit that was in Raymond Mains yard came from the Mount Farm sales. I know Anthony Main has a number of the original catalogues.

Pete

Besides Kirmington and Bordon the Ministry of Supply were selling vehicles in 1947 from -

Royal Ordnance Factory, Kempston Hardwick, Elstow, Near Bedford.

Storage Depot, Mount Farm Aerodrome, Dorchester, Oxfordshire.

Storage Depot, Ripple Road, Barking, Essex.

Storage Depot, Byram Hall, Near Pontefract, Yorkshire.

Storage Depot, Winterslow, Near Salisbury.

To the above list should be added Great Missenden Depot, Buckinghamshire in May 1946.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Have loved reading this thread and looking at the old auction documents, I am custodian of a Nov 43 Ford GPW British Canadian jeep with an orginal service number 4242373 [CM] First Registered December 1946 in England ..................the previous owner and I are confident she was a ambulance jeep from evidence on the tub [tubes & holes for carrying the steel stretcher 'frame' together with a central hole in the bonnet for the red cross pole ...etc.

Looking through the auction catologues & photos there are some CM numbered jeeps together with service numbers very close to mine.............boy would it be great if someone found her on an auction list !

Regards

karl