A few photos from France

marmon

Question

21 answers to this question

They are in Limousine central France all close to my farm which is in Creuze area, The GMC/ US surplus place has a sign up roughly from what I remember along the lines of please don't consider knocking on my door during lunch, apparently us British have a reputation in France for always showing up at Lunch time...

I don't have an exact address for any of these places but if anyone is interested I could go write down the GPS positions next weekend or get contact details.

And if you want SUMB it seems they are on the move after many years, the story as I've been told was they were bought for resale from the army but paperwork was never provided, now it seems a company is fixing them up one by one and shipping them to Africa or so the story goes.I can by the way highly recommend the diesels great bit of day to day usable kit if you put 12.5 x 20's tyres on. (20% gear increase cruise at 50-55) makes them look right too. I'll look for a photo. second one is in case you were wondering why she's a little down at the rear...

SDC10515.jpg

SDC10539.jpg

That's what I like to see as I bought a house in central Brittany a few months ago and can't wait to sniff out the local scrap yards and barns full of interesting WW2 stuff...........yeh I know nice dream these days!!! All joking aside it is nice to see there is still stuff to look at.

Yours hoping!!!

Daren

That's what I like to see as I bought a house in central Brittany a few months ago and can't wait to sniff out the local scrap yards and barns full of interesting WW2 stuff...........yeh I know nice dream these days!!! All joking aside it is nice to see there is still stuff to look at.

Yours hoping!!!

Daren

Joking aside and it may give you some faith but Normandy was a 4000sq mile battlefield!:D

Edited by Jack

Vespa Microcars....classic. Thanks for the info - never heard of them before. This is why France is so great: the motors you see here and there. A friend of mine's father in law lives in Vichy and he's got a shed full of Panhard CT24 air cooled cars and bits. I digress.... I'd love a SUMB, being a Francophile I am easily pleased.

Snapper

Vespa Microcars....classic. Thanks for the info - never heard of them before.

Have a look through the micro-car museum site at

http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/vespa400.html

you'll split your sides laughing -compared to some the Vespa 400 looks positively well built- I always wondered where Sinclair got his insane idea for the C5.

Steve

Hi Marmon

Thanks for this! It is good to know there are still SUMBs available and some of these look to be in better condition than mine (which spent most of the last 20 years on a farm). I haven't had the greatest success getting spares in the UK for mine (I do know about RR services in Kent but they didnt always have what I needed when I needed it!) and would be interested in contact details for anyone in France who is able to supply either new old stock or recovered parts. I'm particularly interested in NOS fan belts, a fuel pump and the rubber seal for the fuel filter at the moment.

Regards

Iain