Ferret re engine

berna2vm

Hi there,I am thinking of buying a Ferret with a seized engine.Has anybody replaced the B60 with a diesel engine?

You have many things to think about, are you intending to use a fluid coupling on the diesel ( as fitted to the B60 ), and are you wishing to retain the current pre-selector gearbox? Then there is the fact that the B60 is dry sump, which enables a very low sump to be used, with the flywheel running very close to the hull floor. This would be a problem to overcome. It is true the Jordanian Army were re-powering their Ferrets with diesels, but that project would have a lot of money and development thrown at it. Just to highlight another obstacle, the existing gearbox is in unit with the transfer box, so a lot of engineering required if you wanted to graft an auto box on. Much cheaper to find or rebuild a B60 and nicer to drive.

It would be easier to find another B60 and swap it out. Dropping diesel down the bores might work, if its cold seized or rust is suspected the head will have to come off for a look see. It might be better taking the head off for a look see anyway

The engine in the pic was seized but after a soak in diesel I could rotate it 3/4's of the way around, it took another 12 months of soaking in diesel for me to be able to rotate it all the way around. One of the pistons still has to be removed as its dragging rubbish up on every stroke on the side wall of the bore.

If you have to take the studs off buy a stud removal tool its easier than doing it the old fashioned way (two nuts locked together 39 studs).

In my opinion, I agree with the others, find a replacement or rebuild yours. You would spend way too much time in R & D and messing around.

If anyone wants to buy a Ferret and grab the engine and part it out I'm game to buy some major parts.

R

Hi there,I am thinking of buying a Ferret with a seized engine.Has anybody replaced the B60 with a diesel engine?

If the engine is seized, what is the rest of it like? (Gearbox - brakes etc) presumably the same? I think the engine is the most straight forward bit to sort out. The gearbox / transmission and brakes get trickier . And then there is the wiring ... Dont want to put you off - if the rest is OK then the engine you can sort . Dont let a seized engine put you off.

Check the rest out . Best of luck . Anyway if its not too expensive then it doesn't matter what shape its in .

• 2 years later...

amazing how well they move when the brakes are not working, nd yet they wont move when they are working...diesel engine sounds pants in the ferrett but it must be lovely to drive one with auto box and loads of torque...