chally 1 or 2

afvnut75

Challanger 2 isn't going to be replaced anytime soon and all the Challanger 1s were exported, I forget to which country, but one friendly government got the lot. It's going to be a good few years, especially with the pending economy drive on the MOD.

Challanger 2 isn't going to be replaced anytime soon and all the Challanger 1s were exported, I forget to which country, but one friendly government got the lot. It's going to be a good few years, especially with the pending economy drive on the MOD.

that intrigued me so found:

It is also currently used by the Jordanian Armed Forces as their main battle tank after heavy modifications. The variants for the Jordanian military are upgraded to Challenger 2 standards and are undergoing upgrades using an unmanned turret called the Falcon Turret.

Does anyone know if these wonderous beasts will ever come onto the private market if so any idea as in near or far future and what would the price tag be ? :nut:

Eventually maybe but not for a long time. If Chieftain is anything to go by price tag will probably be quite cheap (relative to what you get) but buying it is only half the battle - then you have to store it, find spares, fuel it and transport it....

Eventually maybe but not for a long time. If Chieftain is anything to go by price tag will probably be quite cheap (relative to what you get) but buying it is only half the battle - then you have to store it, find spares, fuel it and transport it....

The transport bit being the absolute killer!!!! :-( :-(

Does anyone know if these wonderous beasts will ever come onto the private market if so any idea as in near or far future and what would the price tag be ? :nut:

What makes CR2 different from CR1 and Chieftain is that the former were both products of the Cold War and evolution took place, eventually leading to a replacement for each.

The recent regime decided that this country would never need the ability to build new tanks and closed down the facilities. With no Cold War to generate change, CR2 will last far longer than any tank the UK has ever produced, and I'd imagine any change will be accommodated within the existing vehicles in a rolling upgrade programme like Bargepole (Chieftain) and Scorpole (Scorpion) and if you watch Megafactories (or whatever it's called), the process that keeps Abrams up to date, the USA not having built a new one since 1994. I remember once reading the assertion that six months' development in wartime is equivalent to 20 years in peacetime.

I doubt very much whether you'll see CR2 on the market in the next 20 years or in the private market at all, if the government of the day can make money by selling them on to a foreign government as a fleet, with all the implications of spares, etc, as they did by selling CR1 on to Jordan.

Terry Brooks offered me a Challanger 1 last year. I believe it is the only Challanger in private hands.

Bit of a mystery how the lucky git ended up with it - but we won't go there.

AlienFTM

The recent regime decided that this country would never need the ability to build new tanks and closed down the facilities.

Hrm:-D I had a thread pulled for being less political than that, however as of yesterday BAE Newcastle was still open and available for business, it was the Defence review of 1991 that outlined the future procurement of British Battle Tanks and it was widely expressed at the time that after completing the requirement for 350 odd Ch2 tanks and about 20 DTT (I can't remember the exact figure off hand) it was unlikely in respect of changing requirements (they called it peace dividend :D:D) there would be no forseeable need for a conventional central German plain Battle Tank.

Since then and it has nothing to do with the previous government - the effects of the 1986 privatisation of ROF and the subsequent amalgamation and shrinkage of the existing private sector has caused the the UK tank building industry to shrink to effectively one plant -that owned by BAE which despite its name is a defacto a U.S. orientated business.

What makes CR2 different from CR1 and Chieftain is that the former were both products of the Cold War and evolution took place, eventually leading to a replacement for each.

Chieftain was an evolution of cold war tank design but CR1(Shir2) was with the 289 Khalids (Shir1) a product of a failed order with Iran cancelled after the fall of the Shah.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
poor grammar

What is the going rate for a running Chieftain? I cannot afford my dreamtanks ( Tiger 1 +2 Panther ) But a Chieftain may suffice...:cool2:

£16 - £20K for a decent one. Anything less and I would be aware.

Cents are a bit cheaper but you get what you pay for - as the saying goes.

Decent Centurian should be around the £15K mark.

Oddly enough - a more useful thing like a REME or engineer variant can sometimes fetch less that an MBT with a large gun on it. Is it an image thing?

What is the going rate for a running Chieftain? I cannot afford my dreamtanks ( Tiger 1 +2 Panther ) But a Chieftain may suffice...:cool2:

I ran one (Chieftain Mk10 11FD67) for a couple of years.

As a non expert ex. blue job, first I got "genned up" by Sammy at A+S. An absolute must! They are complex and need much tlc but can be reliable (relative term!). Things to note:

Loads of different oils, you must have all the manuals, the main eng takes 20 gal!

Must do pre checks every time.

The items I used most were, fuel filters and steering brake pads (had a couple of fires there). When you get "the knack" they last longer. The gear change units can play up mainly if damp gets in I understand. The late standard engine seems almost bullet proof if cared for and not abused, main problem I had was occasional loss of power, this was due to crud in the fuel system cured with a flush out and new filters when required.

Just my experience as a novice, too expensive for me now, but what an experience!

I still have some tools, service parts and smoke pots etc

Iain

There is one going for auction at the end of June in Brian Boys collection in Lancashire. I think it was the one sold by Withams earlier this year. Pretty sure it was bought from Withams for £13kish (plus vat of course)...

Oddly enough - a more useful thing like a REME or engineer variant can sometimes fetch less that an MBT with a large gun on it. Is it an image thing?

psyschologist would have a field day with that :D

but I keep getting these emails that size matters :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well im 34 now so how old am i going to be when one comes up for sale ? for me it will be worth the hassle of logistics not sure what the misses will think :nut:

I will get me a chieftain one day...even if it is just to fire her up and listen to that lovely sound...

Went to Chipping Steam Fair at weekend and saw the Chieftain there together with Melvin Cordwells Cent. Have to say the Cent sounded lovely but the Chieftain sounded like it was about to blow up - put me off one actually. Then again if thats all it takes to dissuade me I'm almost certainly not committed enough I guess ! Looked impressive though.

Was also amazed by the mess they made of the ground - people can tell you this stuff but until you see just how much destruction those tracks cause it's hard to believe..

Cheers

Go for a Centurion there are much more usable and have the bonus of being easier for repairs . Gun tanks do have that image thing going on. But as has already been said unless you have a barn to keep her in and around 20 acres to play in the transport cost will kill. Got a few quotes to go to was and peace with mine and was between £2200 and £1600 for the cheapest quote. Do like the chieftain and Challangers 1and 2 but still would go for teh Cent unless you have unlimited funds and space not to mention fuel which goes for all of them. The Cent has a great sounding engine but cost you your first born just to run it. :cool2:

Isn't the the Dorchester armour classified? Would be very surprised if MoD would be prepared to release any CR2s into private hands.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the handful of privately owned CR1s were prototype vehicles built without armour.