Tire Safety Warning

abn deuce

This clip was linked on another forum I am a member on and felt that it should be posted here right away . Its a safety video produced by Bridgestone tire about the hazards of welding or applying heat to a tire rim combination , It is shocking how dangerous this is . If for example your were to try and loosed rusted lugnuts with a gas torch even that can lead to explosive tire failure .

Something went wrong...

Edited by abn deuce
correct text

abn - post of the year prize for you!! :thumbsup:

You MUST watch this video past the point where the tyre explodes to understand WHY it is so dangerous.

I've always known it was dangerous, but not for the right reason :wow:

The really frightening thing is the revelation that removing the valve turns out to be a totally inadequate precaution.

abn - post of the year prize for you!! :thumbsup:

You MUST watch this video past the point where the tyre explodes to understand WHY it is so dangerous.

I've always known it was dangerous, but not for the right reason :wow:

The really frightening thing is the revelation that removing the valve turns out to be a totally inadequate precaution.

Yes, you would have thought that removing the valve would prevent all of this!

Only way is, if you HAVE to do work on a wheel. MAKE SURE IT DOES' NOT HAVE A TYRE ON THE RIM!

In the Army, after replacing a tyre on a rim, the wheel has to rolled into a very sturdy cage to inflate it. Even if it HAS been correctly installed Etc.

Safety is PARAMOUNT when dealing with tyres! The pressures involved in just inflation can produce lethal results if EXTREME care is not observed!

we were taught only to approach a hot wheel from the front or rear never the side incase bolts holding wheel halves failed boeing 777 main wheel inflation pressure-118 p.s.i the 380 would have carbon fiber brake pack. on a aircraft wheel there are pressure relief plugs that will melt and release pressure if excessive Edited by griff66

on a aircraft wheel there are pressure relief plugs that will melt and release pressure if excessive

That's saved me some wasted time - I was just thinking of looking at the possibility of patenting a truck or other tyre valve insert which would relieve excessive pressure, but a fusible plug is a much better solution.

Wonder why they don't fit them as standard on truck rims? Cost would be minimal. Might have saved the life of one tipper driver in East Anglia last year who had brake trouble - when he got out to look at the tyre it exploded and blew him into the dual carriageway.

Oh well, no point in re-inventing the wheel. Pun intended :whistle:

I wonder if this only applies to certain tyres, or rather the mix of ingredients in certain tyres? I have seen artic trailer wheels that have got so hot from a sticking brake that the paint has burned off right up to the tyre bead but without the tyre exploding. Antarmike had quite a bonfire on his Dyson but again no explosion.

Some time ago on the M6 one of our girlie drivers had a N/S front blowout on an artic. As it was 2AM plod came and sat with her for about half an hour until the tyre fitter arrived and began to jack the axle up. Suddenly there was a mighty rush of air and the tyre turned into a roaring inferno which promptly gutted the truck.

I wonder if this only applies to certain tyres, or rather the mix of ingredients in certain tyres?.....

Exactly - by rights I shouldn't be here now, nor several others I know :shocked:

Typical example - a haulier's fitter borrowed our cutting gear one day to cut the U bolts off a Leyland 8 wheeler rear 2-spring bogie to replace the leaf. Now that is very close to the tyres. I did suggest something to him and he ignored it, so I kept out of the way.

Like lots of things, you can get away with it time after time after .......BANG

Edited by N.O.S.

I new you could have problems with heat and tires but did not realise how little heat you actually could need and the delay that can occur.

Makes me feel lucky that nothing happened when I drove 10 miles with a siezed brake caliper on an old Cavalier.

Was glowing very nicely and melted the wheel trim.

OMG :wow:

One to tell all my friends about, interesting thing is he goes on about a chemical reaction so what is involved to cause this.

My thoughts are as above, I have seen car fires ect and no tyre problems, I have had sticking brakes and no tyre explosion, must have been lucky. Maybe its new modern tyres which may have other chemicals in the composition of the tyre which don't like heat.

Could be why you see so many truck tyres on the hard shoulder with no side walls, run a bit flat this generates some heat the chemical reaction starts pressure increases and bang goes the tyre.

Still a remarkable demo to see how little heat was applied and the result after only 3 mins going to be very wary of tyres in the future.

I witnessed an incident that may well have been due to this effect. On holiday in the USA (that's relevant for the next bit) a motorhome towing an car (unmanned, on an A frame) pulled in to the rest area we had stopped at and after no more than a minute there was a gert bang - much too loud to have been a gun, the prime candidate in that part of the world. One of the car's front tyres had exploded leaving almost no trace of it. It turned out that the car's brakes had been partially applied for many miles due to a fault in the electric brake servo which was slaved to the motorhome. It soon attracted a good crowd and despite my protests they would not keep away from the other wheels, all of which were obviously very hot. Even though I'd never heard of pyrolysis, I though there was a fair chance the others would go the same way. Nothing more happened but having seen the safety video I think we were all quite lucky. The motorhome owner thought he'd get away with just one new tyre. Oh yes - four tyres and wheels and brakes and hubs and some suspension parts, it was well cooked. At least they had somewhere to stay.

Christ, I've never seen that before and I've had tyre training in the Army.

I've had plenty of waggons that have had a seized brake, to the point of smoking and getting so hot that it sounds like someone rattling a can of ball bearings!!!:shocked:

I saw a TV program once about these strange spontaneous fires that burnt peoples houses down. It turned out that the fires were started by OILY COVERALLS. I think they were washed and then put in a dryer. If left bundled up a reaction would happen and hours later they would just catch fire!!!!

I saw a TV program once about these strange spontaneous fires that burnt peoples houses down. It turned out that the fires were started by OILY COVERALLS. I think they were washed and then put in a dryer. If left bundled up a reaction would happen and hours later they would just catch fire!!!!

Years ago I did this (intentionally as an experiment) with a rag moistened in natural turpentine. Drop in in a metal bucket, a handful of other dry rags on top, and within an hour it was blazing.

So if you keep a rag bin in your workshop, make sure that the used rags don't get dropped back in it. If you throw out your oily rags, do it in a bin outside.

We are surrounded by hazards we don't even know about!

In respond to my posting this link on the Dodge .com site Robbo posted this link to another youtube video also on tire and rim safety . although it is dealing with modern artic truck wheel system's it does show at the end of the clip the effects of the same welding on mounted tire wheel assembles complete with manikins

Something went wrong...

• 5 weeks later...

Heard that news today. Sad as it is. If ever i had a tyre with a lump in the side wall i always let the air out as they are prone to going bang at some point. Thing is not every body is awere of the danger of tyres.

That's saved me some wasted time - I was just thinking of looking at the possibility of patenting a truck or other tyre valve insert which would relieve excessive pressure, but a fusible plug is a much better solution.

Wonder why they don't fit them as standard on truck rims? Cost would be minimal. Might have saved the life of one tipper driver in East Anglia last year who had brake trouble - when he got out to look at the tyre it exploded and blew him into the dual carriageway.

Oh well, no point in re-inventing the wheel. Pun intended :whistle:

The fusible plugs are very dangerous in themselves as the idea in a hot landing the plugs melt and the centres shoot out very fast so the tyre deflates instead of explodes. In the old days when you had stair ways getting on planes if the landing was a bit hard they would only let you exit from the front, incase one let off and hit someone.

Thought this the best place to post this , Modern testing of run flat systems used in military wheels pretty amazing how much abuse they can take .

ahhh ya killing me, another different type of Pinz rim........... where, what :D

• 1 month later...