Military Films: incorrect vehicles/uniforms

Amphibi boy

The term "Elementary School" existed until at least the 1944 Education Act, Elementary education was commonplace up to that time and beyond, it was education in a single local authority funded estabishment for children aged 5 to 14years.

Even when I was in primary school 1959-64 our school had a residual elementary component mainly girls aged 11-14 who were deemed too thick for even secondary education -system was by then Primary [infants -Juniors], Secondary modern and Grammar. In 1964 the system changed again becoming Primary and Comprhensive -this eliminated the above mentioned residual elementary component.

It is not uncommon to still see elementary school names plaques on older school buildings, esp. in rural areas -I've even seen a "Board School" .

Steve

Yes but it seems a bit odd to build a film set in Canada, to represent a location near Stonehenge, and to use this name. It is not a leftover from a past age, it is a recreation in Canada, built in 2010...so Why Elementary? It is one thing to explain a elemental chiselled into stone, but if painted on a board it is much harder to explain.

But never mind the School name, try this one,

There are in this film,standing stones in the middle of the mountains and evergreen trees of British Columbia porporting to be the ancient monument that sits on Salisbury Plain. Besides the lack of mountains in Salisbury, there are also some very busy roads right there next to Stonehenge: it’s not in the middle of nowhere.

The fact that Stonehenge isn't in the middle of nowhere seriously affects the plot. If a 100 mile radius is to be cleared around stonehenge for it to be nuked, that would include all of London and it would not be possible to evacuate 30+ million people in a 100 mile radius in a few hours.

Edited by antarmike

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I throw one in please ? (actually surprised no one else has mentioned it) is there not a Leopard 1 crossing the bridge at one point in 'A Bridge Too Far' ??

H

Also on the bridge was a German SPG..............built up on a Hotchkiss tracked load carrier, I know its present whereabouts.

I say SPG, but it might be termed something else, German armour is something I have never taken a great interest in

added info ; the vehicle I describe was built on a Hotchkiss-Brandt CC-2-55

Edited by Richard Farrant
added info

antarmike

Yes but it seems a bit odd to build a film set in Canada, to represent a location near Stonehenge, and to use this name. It is not a leftover from a past age, it is a recreation in Canada, built in 2010...so Why Elementary? It is one thing to explain a elemental chiselled into stone, but if painted on a board it is much harder to explain

Oh dear:shocked: -it's quite simple the stage designers often use scouts who come to the UK (in the case of guys from BC) scout old buildings etc and photograph stuff they also use lots of ye olde photos:-D to "get things right".

I would have to defer to others whether English educational terms were used in B.C but I can certainly remember older people from eastern Canada using terms such as elementary education and even grammar school -but I'm re-calling people who had their education in the 1920s if not earlier. I am sure that those educated in Qebec at that time will have used terms similar to those used in France -but as a kid I was unable to decipher what was said.

But anyway it's gettng a bit overly pedantic as Adrian has already said

A science fiction film is just that, pure fiction and therefore all need for reality is gone!

There's certainly no need to Nuke anywhere:cool2::D

Stonehenge not being in a Mountainous wooded area of Britain, over a 100 miles from London (such as Scotland?), is a smaller mistake than placing Krakatoa East of Java, rather than to its West.

but that is another film entirely and getting further off topic....

Back on topic

http://imcdb.org/movie.php?id=75784

1952 Mercedes Benz 220, AMX-13 105mm and a 1951 M47 Patten also star in "A Bridge Too Far"

Edited by antarmike

antarmike

Stonehenge not being in a Mountainous wooded area of Britain, over a 100 miles from London (such as Scotland?), is a smaller mistake than placing Krakatoa East of Java, rather than to its West.

The localation does seem to be an error especially as there are places in eastern BC that could have facsimily to the lansscape at Stonehenge- but does it matter:???. Perhaps Krakatoa shifted after the explosion:rofl:

Back on topic

http://imcdb.org/movie.php?id=75784

1952 Mercedes Benz 220, AMX-13 105mm and a 1951 M47 Patten also star in "A Bridge Too Far"

To that list can be added the M24 shown and I'm fairly sure a M4 with HVSS is in the movie neither is appropriate to September 1944 but like the Leos and the AMX13 -it doesn't matter it's the accuracy of story that counts- if Arhnem was liberated and the Paras were rescued at the last moment we would have something to complain about. Inappropriate tanks are un -avoidable for the most part was is unforgivable is the little things -incorrect or inappropriate berrets and failing to take heed of the films resident military experts -for example sloppy saluting -really annoys me.

• 1 month later...

This isn't an enquirey about the wrong vehicles used in films, just wondering where all the Yanky trucks came from for the film "Yanks" ?.

But since you are on about wrong vehicles, there was a Series Land - Rover in Ice Cold in Alex, thats the only one I know apart from the 633 Squadron one. Incedently in the last episode of Darling Buds of May, I think there is a Diamond T wrecker.:embarrassed:

Just been watching 'The Bridges at Toko-Ri' film. What are those Jeep based vehicles moving the Jets on the aircraft carrier? They look like a 1950 Jeep with smaller front wheels and just one wheel at the back. They were painted Yellow in the film. Anyone help with information?

This isn't an enquirey about the wrong vehicles used in films, just wondering where all the Yanky trucks came from for the film "Yanks" ?....

My Autocar U-7144T, then resident at the Lamanva museum in Cornwall, was in the film. I believe the museum supplied other vehicles, but I'm sure someone on here has previously revealed who supplied the fleet of GMCs.

Just been watching 'The Bridges at Toko-Ri' film. What are those Jeep based vehicles moving the Jets on the aircraft carrier? They look like a 1950 Jeep with smaller front wheels and just one wheel at the back. They were painted Yellow in the film. Anyone help with information?

like this?

yellow.jpg

i would also like to add what i would call quirks (there is a word for this but it escapes me)in movies a bit like in star wars when the stormtrooper bangs his head.one thay springs to mind is in where eagles dare when burton and eastwood get on the motorcycle and sidecar to drive to the cable car station when they start off the bike has twin saddles when they get off the saddle has changed to a long single piece one.im just a bike nerd anyway .anybody got any other similar that they have noticed and chuckled to themselves.moz-screenshot.png

and since when in the above film did they have helicopters???

• 2 weeks later...

this one is opposite

correct vehicle, wrong name "Unedited colour film of Royal Marine Commandos in four jeeps and two trucks on patrol in a rocky arid district surrounded by mountains"

happens all the time but it the organization that done it that makes it notable

http://www.iwmcollections.com/record.php?id=100004995&media_id=271

Has anyone mentioned the "Korean" FV432/30s in the opening sequence of Salt? Sharkey, are they some of yours? :-)

Andy

yep someone posted pics of that

This isn't an enquirey about the wrong vehicles used in films, just wondering where all the Yanky trucks came from for the film "Yanks" ?.

But since you are on about wrong vehicles, there was a Series Land - Rover in Ice Cold in Alex, thats the only one I know apart from the 633 Squadron one. Incedently in the last episode of Darling Buds of May, I think there is a Diamond T wrecker.:embarrassed:

ISTR in Ice Cold in Alex, the German patrols are swanning around in M3 halftracks.

As for Burton and Eastwood in Where Eagles Dare, what most grates on me (see pic in thread), is the 1970s (1960s? I was a lot younger then) haircuts. Has anyone ever looked at what passed for the norm under a Stahlhelm?

ISTR in Ice Cold in Alex, the German patrols are swanning around in M3 halftracks.

As for Burton and Eastwood in Where Eagles Dare, what most grates on me (see pic in thread), is the 1970s (1960s? I was a lot younger then) haircuts. Has anyone ever looked at what passed for the norm under a Stahlhelm?

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16240-land-rover-in-633-squadron/page2&highlight=ice+cold+alex

see post#16 and#21 and following posts...

Edited by antarmike

Land Rovers in final scene of Ice Cold In Alex.

Did you not check the link in the last post? Not Land Rovers just Land Rover and a Hudson.

Everyone eye is so caught by the 1951 series I landy in ice cold in Alex, they may not have noticed on the otherside of Anthony Quail's head is a 1950 Hudson.

icecoldalexhudson.jpg

392.jpg

Edited by antarmike

Yes, Land Rover in ICIA, but did anybody spot - difficult this one and only for the real experts among us the German tanks in "The Battle of the Bulge", now what were they, hmm.. M47s perhaps? As to "Pearl Harbour"! But then Aegis Cruisers aren't Historic Military Vehicles so perhaps they don't count?