M151A2: I Mu(s)tt be mad!

sirhc

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'll start the latest update with a bit more work on Mutt #1.

The engine is now back together after a full strip down. I had to put a new flywheel on it, and an oil strainer. Everything else seemed to be ok, so I changed all the seals and gaskets, painted everything and put it back together. It's also got a shiny new exhaust manifold, which I have coated with SermeTel W4 :cool2: so it'll stay like that forever.

I also rebuild the carb with a new gasket set, and fitted a new electronic ignition unit, coil and leads to the distributor. I borrowed these for the other Mutt, so I don't have any photos of the fully finished engine, but you get the idea.

As for the colour, it was OD under all the grime, so that's the colour I have repainted it. This seems to be an early engine as it's quite different to the later one in the other Mutt.

S7306723..JPG

S7306722..JPG

S7306692..JPG

S7306691..JPG

Now for Mutt #2. This arrived from Portugal on Friday afternoon, and was unloaded into the garage. I put a bar on the engine and it turned over, so I figured I'd have a go at making it run. I borrowed my rebuilt carb and distributor from the other Mutt and connected it all up. Before long it was running, and a little bit later I even got it to feed ok from the fuel tank. I've had it driving backwards and forwards, high and low ratio and it seems to go ok. No brakes though!

Next job was to pressure wash it, and give it the once over underneath. I have found holes in the front floors, battery box compartment floor and tool box floor. All common problems. I can't find any rust in any of the under body sections though, they're as solid as a rock. I am pretty sure it's been rustproofed by the Army as there are plastic plugs everywhere and loads of underseal on the bottom. It's a shame it was stored outside as the only rust is due to the rainwater collecting.

The next job was to go round and sort out some of the damage. The front wing took about 2 hours to get right, and will need a smear of filler to get it smooth. I had to borrow the front end from the other Mutt to make sure it lined up as the wing had been pushed into the engine bay. The rest of the dents were easy enough. Next weekend I'll strip it down and get it ready for blasting.

Chris

S7306736..JPG

S7306735..JPG

S7306739..JPG

IMG_6601..JPG

S7306730..JPG

Edited by sirhc

• 1 month later...

Time for another update.

I completely stripped down the body and sent it away for blasting. As soon as it came back I sprayed a coat of zinc primer to stop it rusting while I source some replacement panels.

S7306867..JPG

S7306875..JPG

IMG_6649..JPG

IMG_6645..JPG

I've also been busy rebuilding the hubs and brakes. I have done both the rear ones, with new wheel bearings, seals, brake cylinder and brake shoes. I am waiting for some more bits for the front ones, which may take a few weeks to turn up thanks to the voncano ash!

I really wanted to get this done for Beltring, but it's just not going to happen this year. I still have the Bedford engine to change and the Wolf to MOT. On top of that the handbrake in the Sabre has broken and needs fixing before I can put it on a low loader.

As for affording this, yes it's costing me a fortune. Both Mutts have needed so many new parts, the parts themselves aren't expensive in the USA, but by the time I pay postage and then Gordon has his bit they start getting pricey. I'm not going to rush this one, hopefully it'll be like new when it's done.

Chris

S7300002..JPG

S7300012..JPG

S7300010..JPG

S7300009..JPG

S7300008..JPG

Yes, but I'll need another set eventually.

I got a set here, well off the Korean jeeps but I am told they are exactly the same. I don't need them as if I keep them I might buy the jeep to attach to them :nut:.

I'll find out postage and you can have them for that... postage is cheap here.....

May take a week or 6 as I am one of these prats that was supposed to fly to Holland on Saturday

[ATTACH]25913[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25914[/ATTACH]

I love mine to bits. It is the best purchase decision I've made in eons. I can't drive it at the moment due to a murder on the dancefloor - but I will be using it again soon. The MOT is imminent. Starting to plan a mv jaunt round the Somme battlefields in my head.

MB

• 2 months later...
I got a set here, well off the Korean jeeps but I am told they are exactly the same. I don't need them as if I keep them I might buy the jeep to attach to them :nut:.

I'll find out postage and you can have them for that... postage is cheap here.....

May take a week or 6 as I am one of these prats that was supposed to fly to Holland on Saturday

Apologies, I been travelling too much so I have yet to dig them out of the box. But thought I would say will most likely be in UK August 'ish' so I'll bring them over. I will be going to Cambridge so either post from there or figure something else out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I see yours has Portuguese Army registration number MX-81-55, here is a picture I found on the internet a long time ago of MX-81-61 - very close to yours!

Plus a side shot of the M151A2 next to MX-81-61. Possibly they are an inspiration for you by the time you want to add markings to your restoration.

Regards,

Hanno

PS: my M151 site at Geocities.com site has been taken down, but a copy was archived here: http://web.archive.org/web/20091026181044/geocities.com/fordm151/index.htm. As it was last updated 5 years ago, it is outdated but it might still prove an interesting read for some people.

Portuguese M151A2-3.jpg

Portuguese M151A2-2.jpg

Edited by mcspool

• 5 months later...

Time for an update! I stopped working on this project in May to get ready for Beltring, and then we bought 2 Sabres, so not really had a chance to get back on to finishing the rebuild. a couple of months ago I took everything loose to the blasters. It's now all blasted, primed, painted green and wrapped up in storage ready for re-fitting. The replacement battery box floor arrived in December, so the past few weeks have been spent welding, filling, sanding and painting. Finally the underside is ready for the suspension to go back on. There's a bit of work left to do on the top side of the floors, then I can paint the top and put it all back together.

Chris

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

The next installment!

With the paint dry, we fitted the rear suspension and diff yesterday. The shocks are NOS, along with the brake hoses and new pipes.

With the suspension fitted, we flipped it over (I have found this is quite easy - with an engine crane on the tow hitch, 2 people can lift the front and turn it without too much bother) and put some wheels on.

The front suspension system was painted today, I have used Hammerite satin finish so it hasn't dried that shiny! The ball joints, bearings, seals and brakes are NOS, but everything else was in quite good order.

Once it was dry enough to fit we picked the front up, slid it underneath and bolted it up. I don't have photos of this, as we were a bit busy at the time, but this is how it looks now, with the wheels fitted.

I feel like I am almost on the home stretch now. A bit more body work to do - clean up all the dents etc from flipping it over and standing it on it's side etc - and then I can paint it and start bolting it all back together.

Does anyone have any RT-524 radio bits and pieces they don't need? I need a radio and the cables. I have an NOS antenna base, mount, sponson plate etc.

Chris

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

• 2 months later...