M151A2: I Mu(s)tt be mad!

sirhc

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

looking good there.

What will be the registration for the road process and documentation required?

R

Robin,

I have a letter giving an approx date into service. I will need to get it on the road and MOTd before I can register it. I hope to have it ready for the MOT within the next month.

Chris

Another update.

I got the anteanna corner mount installed this weekend, fitted the front and rear axle drive shafts, NOS wiring loom and the worst job of them all, the heater kit. The heater has been rebuilt with a new core, hoses etc. I did test the motor before putting it all in!

Next job is to overhaul the gearbox so I can get the engine fitted. I bought a seal repair kit which includes sleeves to repair the worn sealing surfaces on the drive flanges. The gearbox is a mess inside, no oil just lots of gunge.

Chris

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

Chris.That looks very nice.Just out of interest. Is this one for the collection.Or will it eventually come up for sale??.

Hi Mark,

I think I'll be keeping this one for a while, I've spent too much money on it to sell it straight away without enjoying it first!

Chris

Very few were released here intact , very soon they were being cut in half to prevent them being used as vehicles , but people were still buying them and welding them together , then the next step the government told the military to X cut the bodies and buyers still bought enough pieces and welded them together , the final outcome was they removed the drive line and crush the bodies with either a bulldozer or a M88 tank recovery vehicle . I dont know how people got them registered Legally to put them on the road. I have driven them and as long as you dont try anything stupid they are a nice vehicle .

The result the engines and transmissions are cheap as chips or they were and most of the rest of the 151 was available as nos parts , but the bodies were very hard to find.

Quick update. Gearbox rebuilt and painted. Wiring installed in the engine bay, just the fuel pipes to go in and I can put the engine back in. I hope the engine will be in this weekend, maybe not running but at least in the hole!

Chris

SAM_0105.jpg

SAM_0101.jpg

SAM_0107.jpg

SAM_0106.jpg

It doesn't weigh much, and is dead easy to fit compared to what you are used too. Mike and I refitted the engine and gearbox in his MUTT before dinner at Beltring one year! Don't forget to fit the strter motor like we did (wondered why it wouldn't start!), saying that we had enjoyed a few beers by that point!

Have fun setting up the carb, they are a bit of a fiddle. You've probably read up on that on the G503 forum.

Vince,

The carb I am using came from the original Malta Mutt. I rebuilt it with a new gasket set and cleaned all the crap out of the inside. Before I stripped this one down I had it running with that carb, I didn't touch it other than bolting it on. It ran fine, no smoke, started on the button. Fingers crossed it will do the same when it's all back together!

Chris

This weekend I have mostly been doing plumbing. The original brake and fuel pipes were made from steel and covered with a cloth type sheath. This held water and caused the pipes inside to corrode, great idea! I have made new cupronickel pipes, I flared one end and bent the pipe to shape, slid some heatshrink over the pipe and then flared the other end. The heat shrink was then heated up to produce something which looks a bit like the original pipes, but should last a lot longer. This being a 1978 model it is fitted with an emissions control system which means there's pipes going all over the place. The top of the fuel tank looks like an oil refinery!

The brake system is installed, I just need to get some silicone fluid and bleed and adjust them. The cylinders are all new so I hope it shouldn't be a problem.

Next job was to bolt the gearbox to the engine and drop it in the engine bay, then work out where the rest of the pipes are supposed to go. I haven't yet connected the clutch pedal or the exhaust, I am waiting for a new downpipe to arrive from the US.

Not too much more left to do now, some more wiring, hand brake, the exhaust system and a couple more bits to paint, then I can give it a final blow over with the spray gun and paint in all the bolt heads. Running and driving next weekend? I hope so!

Chris

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

Simon,

The stencils are from Axholme signs. I used them before on the Bedford MW and they were very good. Had a bit of a problem on this one as they didn't like sticking to the paint, but Tony has sorted it out and I'll have another go in the week. I'm leaving the external stencils for now, I am planning some camouflage :D

Chris

m151_merdc03.jpg

m151_merdc02.jpg

m151_merdc01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No photos for this update, but I've been working on less photogenic things. The brakes have been bled and work. The handbrake is all in and working, I fitted a new band to this. The engine runs, and it drives through all gears, the clutch is working well too and the exhaust is all fitted.

While running up the engine I have discovered a few leaks, one from the gearbox, the oil filter housing and the core plug behind the flywheel. All very annoying as I had put new gaskets and seals in when building it. The engine and box will come out in an hour or so, so rather than struggle to fix them in the vehicle tomorrow I'll pull it all out and sort it before refitting.

Also got the last 2 wheels back blasted, primed and new tyres fitted. When these are painted I'll fit them and it's another job done.

I am going to book it in to Beltring, fingers crossed it will make it ok!

Chris

Second update from today. I couldn't be bothered to mess about with taking the engine out this evening, so decided to unpack the NOS hood, doors and side screens for a test fitting. Despite all being NOS, everthing is a different colour. Even the 2 rear curtains, which were packed in the same box, were different colours! They mostly match in ok, except for the passenger side door which is bright green. I'll have to keep an eye out for an OD one.

I quite like it green, I think I'll leave it as it is this year and perhaps put some camo on next year. Anyone got any photos of Mutts at USAF bases in the UK?

Chris

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

IMG_1808.JPG