M151A2: I Mu(s)tt be mad!

sirhc

Very nice work.I have to say in all the years i have been on U.S bases in the UK i never saw MUTT,s being used.Normal fare was FORD F150,s and Dodge Ram,s.With the odd Leyland Sherpa thrown in.

They used to store them on part of the storage facility Burtonwood before being shipped to Germany.I never even see them come through the U.S DRO sales that were held on a regular basis at Molesworth.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have a bit of fiddling to do with the carb and possibly timing, it is a bit of a pain to start and needs a bit of choke to run, but when it's going it runs nice and smooth, pulls well etc... so can't be too far off!

Chris

needs a bit of choke to run,

Chris

This seems to be normal for most MUTTs. I tried setting Mikes one up to run without it, but couldn't cater for all starting/running conditions when set like that. Choke needed to be pulled ot 2mm for normal running, gives you a bit of fine tuning on the move.

Did the tail pipe fit 1st time without modification? Mikes one needed chopping and restting as it fouled the bodywork, despite the whole system being new!

Vince,

I fitted a new tail pipe and a new down pipe. Didn't change the middle bit as it looked fairly new - just replaced the rusty bits. The tail pipe fitted fine, the down pipe was another story. That was on and off about 20 times before it lined up with the rest of the system!

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
This seems to be normal for most MUTTs. I tried setting Mikes one up to run without it, but couldn't cater for all starting/running conditions when set like that. Choke needed to be pulled ot 2mm for normal running, gives you a bit of fine tuning on the move.

Did the tail pipe fit 1st time without modification? Mikes one needed chopping and restting as it fouled the bodywork, despite the whole system being new!

The advice I received from the MUTT experts when I first started restoring mine was that the carb should be set so that the choke is very slightly closed when the cable is fully home. It's just an idiosyncracy of the design. Mine was a new-out-of-the-bag unit and was just the same.

Lovely job, very well done and I'll look forward to seeing it.

- MG

• 4 years later...