magirus deutz uranus . !

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Any links to the advert or picture please Cent ?:-D

it's one of the ex swiss army uranus ! very very rare swiss army have one( historic vehicle collection ) and this .. he's not in the internet ! but the man is the same who have the centurion - rotinoff - superantlantic on milweb . i think the price is high^^

Wow,I had no idea the BAOR used these machines.... Very impressive...

Equipment for the forces in Berlin came from a seemingly never ending source of funds, The Berlin Budget. I spent 4 years in Berlin and never quite got to the bottom of how much there was in `the budget` and who actually controlled it.....I served in the Royal Air Force and almost all of the MT fleet was of German makes........

So in answer to your comment BAOR did not use these machines...

982ful.jpg

Already gone into Antar Gallery, this shot shots L.W. Vass and Co's yard.

Next to the Mark 1 Ex RAF Antar is an ex swiss Army Uranus. being Right Hand Drive, Vass's saw that they would sell well in the U.K. and bought these in large numbers when released by the Swiss. I do not know where this example sold to.

I am sure SWT in Swansea used to run one of these in the 1980s. It was a sort of rival to the Diamond T but if my memory serves me right it was fitted with a hydraulic crane which was not quite a match for the T's home made gib.

Not sure if it still exists as I last saw it in 1996 driving up high street. I moved away shortly after but I hear it has not been seen for some time. High street in Swansea is not really suitable for vehicles of this size and it was an impressive sight!

Cheers now,

A

Hello,

here are some impressions from a Magirus Uranus KW16 Recovery. This vehicle were positioned in Berlin by British Army in past.

Now, the Recovery vehicle is standing in Switzerland by a Magirus collector.

Greets,

Holger

Did anybody spot the Explorer towing frame strapped to the crane framework !