magirus deutz uranus . !

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the Explorer towing frame strapped to the crane framework?

As German it isn´t known by me!

The triangular black frame - when carrying out a suspended tow it is used to keep the two vehicles at a constant distance apart. It was standard equipment on the Scammell Pioneer and Explorer.

Edited by radiomike7

Hello together,

has somebody pictures of the triangle black frame in action ?

Because the REME Magirus "Recovery Truck Heavy" of the ex British Army Berlin has altogether four towing bars. Two triangle and also two "standard" types.

A large triange with shackles is in driving position under the front bumper. And the small one is on the back side of the crane. It´s the same as at the Pioneer and Explorer.

But for which cars is the small triangle and how is the function at work ? Because the small trangle has only a piston without shackles ?

Recovery Truck KW 16 Thomas Knauf -klein-.jpg

In line with cutting edge military technology current at the time the frame was lashed to the casualty with rope!!

I was for recovery up to 10 tons I believe??

To be fair this worked well with I beam front axles, the large bottom tube of the frame fits inside the web and is able to turn in order that the ropes did not come loose.

Someone will no doubt be along with a picture...

oh, yes. A lot of work .... Around 5 years and the work is going on ...

Since some month, I revise the front and rear axles, suspension links, rear springs and steering links.

More than 20 years hard work at commercial towing service companies consign a lot of traces ...

KW 16 Dezember 1996 klein.jpg

2009-01-11 Federlagerbolzen Rahmen links.jpg

Hello together,

has somebody pictures of the triangle black frame in action ?

Because the REME Magirus "Recovery Truck Heavy" of the ex British Army Berlin has altogether four towing bars. Two triangle and also two "standard" types.

A large triange with shackles is in driving position under the front bumper. And the small one is on the back side of the crane. It´s the same as at the Pioneer and Explorer.

But for which cars is the small triangle and how is the function at work ? Because the small trangle has only a piston without shackles ?

I am sure Militant Graham won't mind a plug for his website, have a look at the REME stuff on the downloads page. http://www.aecmilitant.co.uk/downloads.html

I can speak from the same one´s own experiences. A lot of Uranus tractors of the ex Belgian Army are scraped. The last trucks in the periode of the high price level of steel.

And I also find a truck dealer in Begium, who explain me a export of minimum 50 Uranus to Africa incl. spare parts.

Last week I hear, the last two Magirus Uranus Tank Tractors in service by the Belgian Army are auctioned around seven month ago to german collectors. Suprise, suprise ...

Pic of frame from Explorer manual.

I am sure the roller tube of the A frame would rotate round that axle when the tractors brakes are applied, it would be better with a I beam axle though.

I use this a frame when suspend towing with the pioneer ,the frame is only 4 ft long so if used as shown in the manual the casualty would be to close to the rear of the scammell and there would be no clearance for turning .

I position the roller against the front bumper/drawbar then strangle reevable chains around the bumper/drawbar and the roller of the A frame,these are then hooked onto the crane hook when lifted the roller is pulled tight but the A frame can still move up and down ,i have lifted GMC cckw AEC Matador Austin K6/K9 Ford D series etc and have never had any problems

Thanks for that nptimber, that all makes good sense. I have used mine twice and found it a real pain to secure properly.

Call me bonkers but I have a theory that these frames where designed in the early 1930s when a lot of horse drawn wagons where still around, one of their uses was for when no horses where available, then the shafts could be removed and the frame lashed onto the turntable, they would be perfect for that.