Slightly off topic but do you have a clearer shot of the Pioneer tank transporter or its registration? Looking at the front wheels it might be a 20ton model, (8 stud rather than 10stud) never seen another before in preservation, wonder if its still around?.

The pioneer is still on the show circuit in the Cheshire area, it is sighnwritten as John Thompsons Boiler Works, Wolverhampton. You may find better pictures on commercial vehicle forums.

Slightly off topic but do you have a clearer shot of the Pioneer tank transporter or its registration? Looking at the front wheels it might be a 20ton model, (8 stud rather than 10stud) never seen another before in preservation, wonder if its still around?.

Heres the link mate ! http://ccmv.fotopic.net/p55344764.html

nice pics of lanes and thanks tony for the star autos pics i will try and get an up to date pic it looks a lot sadder now but must be good for parts at the least

I am passing that way on Saturday morning - will try to get a few pics.

A couple more oldies, two Ts in the desert with captured Italian tanks and the rather rare T with large rear singles towing a 80 ton tilt bed trailer, i think again when i say 80 ton as i have photos and info on this trailer that shows it with 5 axles so this trailer could be the 70 ton

hmvf3.jpg

hmvf4.jpg

Thanks Richard.

Interesting thought about the 16 tyres - the civilian 45/60T float trailers had just 8 of these tyres. They were restricted to 45T at 12mph, 60T at 6mph I believe - limited by tyre rating.

So in theory you could run this trailer at 120 Ton and still be within the tyre capacity :sweat:

Thanks Richard.

Interesting thought about the 16 tyres - the civilian 45/60T float trailers had just 8 of these tyres. They were restricted to 45T at 12mph, 60T at 6mph I believe - limited by tyre rating.

So in theory you could run this trailer at 120 Ton and still be within the tyre capacity :sweat:

That is 16" on a 20" rim........not 16 in quantity :n00b:

:-D :-D

16.00 x 20 tyres, yes Richard - and I was counting the 4 rows of 4 tyres on the Diamond T trailer. 4 rows of 4 = 16 (I think)!! Float trailer had 2 rows of 4 tyres.

:n00b: back!

:-( sorry, was not paying attention there, see what you meant now.

Perhaps its time I switched this thing off...........

:) Nearly got me reaching for the calculator :sweat:

I just thought it was interesting how much load you could probably get away with on that trailer. :shocked:

I imagine the maximum tyre loading on a Rogers trailer would be much less than this :???

At this time large vehicle development was pretty much imited by the availability of suitable tyres to carry the load/torque. Those Diamond pattern 16x20s got everywhere - even used on the 1953(?) prototype Constructor rear bogie.

Thanks Richard.

Tony, if they are the same spec tyres as the ones on the ex Pickfords 200 tonner at GDSF which is believed to weigh about 80t with the long girders and runs on 24 tyres, the weight per tyre is over 11t. The Crane 45tonner with sixteen could therefore theoretically gross 170+t:shake:

Of course it is all down to ply rating of the tyres.

All I can say with any certainty is that the 45/60T float trailer supplied in 1964 was fitted with 24 ply tyres running at 110psi. The higher load/speed rating would presumably refer to tyre limitations (heat build up, hence the reduced trailer rating above a certain speed). If not then it would have a higher rating at the higher speed since the trailer frame is obviously not the limiting factor. It may well be that at the lower speed the trailer frame limits the capacity, so yes it is feasible the tyres could carry more.

What ply tyres the wartime Cranes tank trailer was fited with I have not a clue - I do know the tyres were available in a variety of plys, including 16, but maybe the 24 ply were not available until after the war.

I wonder what ply tyres the Dorset 24 wheel trailer has -if they are 24 ply, the greater rating is surprising. Date of this trailer? The build sheet would give the spec., maybe they should be 28 ply :cool2:

So it would seem pointless to speculate further on the theoretical capacity of the wartime Cranes trailer, but I would be interested to to know what the ultimate tyre limitation of the Rogers trailer was, did they not have a bit of a reputation for blowing them? :sweat:

Edited by N.O.S.

Of course it is all down to ply rating of the tyres.

All I can say with any certainty is that the 45/60T float trailer supplied in 1964 was fitted with 24 ply tyres running at 110psi. The higher load/speed rating would presumably refer to tyre limitations (heat build up, hence the reduced trailer rating above a certain speed). If not then it would have a higher rating at the higher speed since the trailer frame is obviously not the limiting factor. It may well be that at the lower speed the trailer frame limits the capacity, so yes it is feasible the tyres could carry more.

What ply tyres the wartime Cranes tank trailer was fited with I have not a clue - I do know the tyres were available in a variety of plys, including 16, but maybe the 24 ply were not available until after the war.

I wonder what ply tyres the Dorset 24 wheel trailer has -if they are 24 ply, the greater rating is surprising. Date of this trailer? The build sheet would give the spec., maybe they should be 28 ply :cool2:

So it would seem pointless to speculate further on the theoretical capacity of the wartime Cranes trailer, but I would be interested to to know what the ultimate tyre limitation of the Rogers trailer was, did they not have a bit of a reputation for blowing them? :sweat:

Dorset trailer TM413 is 24 ply rating on its tyres. Pickfords load charts show it as 24 ply rating, Drawing (H.090) as does the June 12th 1953 edition of "the Engineer"

Edited by antarmike

Part of the reason that TM413 seems to be able to run at a higher tyre loading, is perhaps the speed it was intended to run at. I expect the float trailer may have been intended to run at more than 5 MPH, which was the max for TM413

pickfordsloadcahart.jpg

It is generally accepted that 80 tons was the weight declared to the Ministry of Transport for TM413. It is believed the true weight is very close to 100 tons empty, with 34 foot frames ( the extensions weigh about 3 tons each.) , and all the width adjusting rings fitted to bring the trailer out to its maximum width of 18 feet 8 inches overall. ( I.e, all twelve width rings fitted).

In the configuration it appears at GDSF, there are a lot of possible parts of the kit left off which would increase the maximum weight by possibly 7 to 9 tons, if fitted.

Pickfords are believed to have deliberately misled the ministry as to the true weight, and so gained permission to carry an extra 20 tons of payload. If this is so they were taking a calculated gamble that they wouldn't destroy a bridge or section of road, an action that would have probably resulted in the trailer being officially weighed. On the Pickfords load charts, the unladen weight section is deliberately left blank.

(as above shows) The Data chart carries a figure, but it is truncated in the copy I have, it could be 80, 83,86,88,89,90,93,96,98, or 98 tons!

I tend to agree with this hypothesis.

Edited by antarmike