Dear Les. The Diamond T I mentioned earlier with the Morris cab was Daw's of Dartford and not Dawes of Swanley. The dawes of Swanley Diamond was bought by a local chap from Crockham Hill and sadly Dawes Recovery no longer exsist. When I bought Addingtons Diamond the remains of the Daw' s of Dartford Diamond were scattered around the yard. I think Richard is right, the cab on the Swanley Diamond is a Ford Trader fitted by Dawe's themselves. This is the only picture I took of Addingtons Diamond before I towed it home.

All the best. Tony G.

scan.jpg

Hi Tony

Sack cloth and ashes this end, that Daws of Dartford T has slipped through my net i know you cant win em all but this one is Kent based and i have nothing on it so the searching starts again. I am also still looking for further pics of the T owned by Western Motor works last based at there Woodchurch Garage in Kent, two photos of the Telstar recovery i take it this was the crane that came off the Daws truck and the third i think is you old T or would this be ex Daws

cheers

Les

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

Dear Les, Trevor Williams Telstar Diamond T now rests in a garden near Lympe in Kent, and it is in a terrible condition. It is a stretched Diamond with three feet put in the chassis to maintain the winch and to keep the fall of the ropes in line with the rear of the truck. It has Holmes W45 wrecking gear off a Diamond 969. The diamond of R S Daw's of Dartford had TFL 20 ton gear on the back and from memory was light blue in colour with orange wheels. Yes you were right Les, that was the Diamond T I evetually owned with the Morris cab, pictured at the famous Peter Court's sale at Banbury although the diamond was not in the sale. Some sad news Les, I heard today that Ken Dawes Diamond T has been cut up, end of an era.

I am waiting for some pics of Bishops Diamond from the Gatwood family, when they arrive i'll post some copies to you

All the best. Tony G.

Hi there this is my 1st time post, i appologise if i make a mistake still trying to get my head around it lol.

Here are a few photos to show that 2 of my friends Andy McCarthy and Dave Pearson tryin 2 decide which way round to load there diamond t's on a loaned low loader, as with the Prime Mover on the back axels there was too much weight so they decided to switch them around.

I hope you like?

I have more if your interested ? :rofl:

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

Just seen another item on my "Must have" list. That F88 is absolutely gorgeous, and I bet it sounds great under load with that exhaust...........

drool drool.

I would really like to buy the ERF EC12 2 axle artic unit from where I work to transport my Albion to shows, and to keep in good condition as a rising classic. It has the Eagle TX 340 engine and the 9 speed Fuller box. Oh well..

.......... spose I can dream. :-(

Hi there this is my 1st time post, i appologise if i make a mistake still trying to get my head around it lol.

Here are a few photos to show that 2 of my friends Andy McCarthy and Dave Pearson tryin 2 decide which way round to load there diamond t's on a loaned low loader, as with the Prime Mover on the back axels there was too much weight so they decided to switch them around.

I hope you like?

I have more if your interested ? :rofl:

well done shawn not sure you got my best side on the pictures but the diamonds look great lets get one of those scammels on the road,the 88 could be for sale at the right price contact andy for more details

Bit lost for words on Kens DT, when i took the photos and that was not mega years ago she was in very good condition and well restorable and stillcapable of a winch job who in the hell let it slip that low to be scrapped or was it greed from last year at the time scrap prices were high what ever i think the order of the golden hobnail up the backside is needed. That news has p----d me off good and proper good news you rescued the Bishops machine EH! i look forward to the photos Thanks in advance i expect you have seen this photo og the Gatwood T

cheers

Les

hmvf1.jpg

I am also still looking for further pics of the T owned by Western Motor works last based at there Woodchurch Garage in Kent,

Les,

By coincidence, friend of mine worked at Western Motor Works in Woodchurch and recently told me a story about the Diamond T (which I have forgotten :-(). When I next see him, will ask if he has any photos, as he is now in France, it may not be for a while.

Les, a little bit more info for you on the Telstar Diamond T. Pictured before when with Sawford's of Maidenhead in the mid seventies, and later at Trevors yard at Blackwall Tunnel, still maintaining its original Hercules engine. You can see from my photos that she was slowly eroding away and now is a pitiful sight.

All the best. Tony G

Sawfords pre Telstar.jpg

Telstar.jpg

Telstar2.jpg

Les, a little bit more info for you on the Telstar Diamond T. Pictured before when with Sawford's of Maidenhead in the mid seventies, and later at Trevors yard at Blackwall Tunnel, still maintaining its original Hercules engine. You can see from my photos that she was slowly eroding away and now is a pitiful sight.

All the best. Tony G

I have never understood the mentality of people who hold on to old vehicles, knowing full well that they won't be used and allow them to degrade to the point where they are not worth restoring. When I initially began looking seriously for a T I had a number of frustrating encounters where operators did not want to sell the rotting carcass at the back of the yard but had no intention of using them again in anger. I think the phrase 'well what's it to you' came up a number of times. I always remained polite but there were times where I wanted to go off on one:argh:

Hello Adrian

I know that feeling well, a number of times I have been told about or seen vehicles,and asked if they are for sale,and have been told no they are not, and 2 or 3 years down the line they are still there rotting away, very sad but true.

Howard

Just a bit of information for Shawn about the Volvo......... It's on page 45 of the May edition of Classic and Vintage Commercials. Its one taken at Donnington.:)

Hi no dout the volvo was in the magazine . You might of seen an other one of Dave's trucks its on the front of a book about scammells, and a dvd called "HGV CLASSICS VOLUME 2"

picture of the truck below

IMG_0615.jpg

When i said the Bedford cab, i was referring to the red wrecker Tony spoke about.

The picture posted By chevpol shows another good looking conversion though.

Does anyone know about the Leyland marathon cabbed 981 in Les`s book?

Dave

Diamond T981

Land Rover 101GS

I would like to know more about that Leyland conversion too Dave, for instance is the frame work original forward of the fuel tanks or had it been cut and grafted to make it forward control also the crane appears to be a Dial Holmes but the jibs seem to tell me otherwise any one have any photos of the gear between the cab and body. Whilst researching the book i paid a visit to Lanes at Abervagenny to take some pics of Goliath and was surprised to find at the bottom of the yard a ex Watkins T used for a source of spares

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Civilian T model 981 in use by a construction company i believe in Aus, this one has been converted to a semi trailer set up. I cant make out the lettering or the door motif so prehaps one of the guys on the forum from down under can help

cheers

Les

hmvf4.jpg