• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is a AWD Runway Snow Blower.

The extra front axle takes the weight of a big auger which moves snow sideways to a blower. The whole thing is driven by a Dorman 6 cyl diesel mounted in the body, driving forward under the cab on either side through a ridiculously huge drop box with 2 output shafts and 2 propshafts, one for auger, one for blower.

The axle/blower assembly demounts from the base truck with 2 pins.

The circular thingy in the windscreen is a spinning blade (like on a ship's bridge) to keep the snow clear for visibility.

The truck is AWD, with Commer Superpoise cab and axles that look very much like Bedford, but are not quite.... the transfer box is not Bedford :confused:

How do I know all this? I obtained one a few years ago (without front axle/blower)just for the P6 engine in the truck. The Dorman will make a brilliant pen knife sharpener once I have mounted 2 x 12" grindstones (1 x coarse, 1 x fine) on the outputs from the drop box :-D

If anyone is in need of a complete chassis/drivetrain or transmission parts for one of these, let me know as it will have to be broken before long :-(

Sorry this doesn't make much sense, I deleted a post I thought was irrelevant and found someone had quoted it!

No , The Douglas who built SnowBlowers were at Arle, Cheltenham, and the company chaged names several times. Douglas started producing trucks until 1947/8.

They were called F.W. Douglas. Douglas All wheel Drive. Douglas Equipment. At various times. They were a self contained company who did not collaborate with anyone else.

They never used AWD as a name,or part name, it was always All Wheel Drive (spelled out in full) as part of a longer company name.

23-12-2008194634.jpg

Douglas Airfield Snow Blower

Edited by antarmike
photo added

I thought the snow blowing Equipment on the AWD was by Rolba / Bombi, thats why I posted the post, that now no longer is!

You could well be correct! All I have to go on is the I.D. of the base truck. When I put "pre-Brown AWD" I did mean "All Wheel Drive". I think it was only when DJ Brown resurrected the dormant company that it became known by its initials "AWD".

So from what you say Mike the complete snowblower vehicle could possibly be a Douglas build....??

I cannot find any other info on this machine. It came from Oxfordshire.

You could well be correct! All I have to go on is the I.D. of the base truck. When I put "pre-Brown AWD" I did mean "All Wheel Drive". I think it was only when DJ Brown resurrected the dormant company that it became known by its initials "AWD".

So from what you say Mike the complete snowblower vehicle could possibly be a Douglas build....??

Tony,

The one you have was designed and built by All Wheel Drive Ltd between 1958-63, using a BLSP cab as used on Commer ( Superpoise ? ) and Dodge over the time, to carry the Rolba equipment.

The forward control snow blower that Mike posted up, was a Douglas, fitted with Bros equipment, truck engine was a Rolls B80.

Some years ago there was one on the forecourt of a recovery garage, near Ardley/ Middleton Stoney Area. I presumed it came of RAF Croughton or out of Bicester. I didn't have my camera with me. It was on the B430 from memory, I wonder if this is the same one.

Found this clip under British trucks labeled WO2 but I m sure its a Diamond T 981, sounds good , wonder what happened to the drivers door ?

At least the driver kept cool! They can get a bit hot with those small cabs.

Accelerates well, wonder what's stashed under the bonnet.

Thanks for posting.