Is this overloading or not?? A 69 ton King Tiger on a 45 ton Rogers trailer. Two very rare photos of an American Diamond T taken in Belgium 1944. One of the photo's shows the Tiger loaded on the Rogers trailer having blown eight tyres.The other shows the tank and 'T' at the railhead. Please note the angle of the two rear axles of the trailer. The tank was later taken to a museum in Germany.

Enjoy!!!

Tony Graves

scan.jpg

Is this overloading or not?? A 69 ton King Tiger on a 45 ton Rogers trailer. Two very rare photos of an American Diamond T taken in Belgium 1944. One of the photo's shows the Tiger loaded on the Rogers trailer having blown eight tyres.The other shows the tank and 'T' at the railhead. Please note the angle of the two rear axles of the trailer. The tank was later taken to a museum in Germany.

Enjoy!!!

Tony Graves

I know this is the Diamond T gallery, but no mention for the vehicle alongside.

At first glance I thought it may be overtaking the slow moving diamond T, :yay:

But a second look noticed the bonnet is up on the Ward La France. :noyay:

Tony any chance you posting a pic up of your old beast?.I remember it back in the late 80,s.When you and your other half used to take it to shows.You used to keep it at Westerham if i am correct?.

Sorry photos are late. 1.Photo of my first Diamond, which I purchased in 1978 and sold with my Rogers Trailer to Denis Roberts in 1985, pictured at Pegasus Bridge in Normandy in 1982 with Dale Johnson who was Chairman of IMPS at the time. I bought this Diamond from Joe Sullivans yard at Portsmouth. The collection of Diamond 'T's and other famous trucks in the yard, looking back, was amazing.

2. Yet another of my DT's at Longues village in Normandy 1994.

3. The same 'T' at Beltring with another 'T' of mine, a wrecker, in the background.

4. A shot of two of my 'T's at my yard in Brasted in Kent.

All the best, Tony

One.jpg

Two.jpg

Three.jpg

Four.jpg

Great overload pics guys! Can anyone give us the max. load rating on the Rogers tyres?

Tony - I'll try to get a current pic of your old green T (now with Tom) and post soon.

I do not know about loadings per tyre on the 45 ton Rogers trailer but they ran on 8.25 x 15 14 ply tyres but were classed as 12 double tyred wheels. Perhaps they were rated at 4tons per double wheel. Didn't stop peeople overloading though!!

Tony

les freathy : In your upper photo in post 213 is it possible to maneuver a trailer on a dollie backward in such a narrow area or would you disconnect and reverse the truck and push with the front hitch ?

Very nice photo's by the way !!

Sorry photos are late. 1.Photo of my first Diamond, which I purchased in 1978 and sold with my Rogers Trailer to Denis Roberts in 1985, pictured at Pegasus Bridge in Normandy in 1982 with Dale Johnson who was Chairman of IMPS at the time. I bought this Diamond from Joe Sullivans yard at Portsmouth. The collection of Diamond 'T's and other famous trucks in the yard, looking back, was amazing.

2. Yet another of my DT's at Longues village in Normandy 1994.

3. The same 'T' at Beltring with another 'T' of mine, a wrecker, in the background.

4. A shot of two of my 'T's at my yard in Brasted in Kent.

All the best, Tony

The Mr T is the one i remember.Where is that now?.

To NOS - Thought this might be of interest. Page 17 post no.167 posted by Antar Mike shows 4 photos of a simulated recovery. The 980 and the 969 were owned by The Chaseside Company in Hertford. The recovery gear in the 980 was designed by George Jackson formally of Chaseside Engineering and later MD of Dial Holmes Recovery Equipment. I remember seeing this Diamond in Hertford and having a look around close on forty years ago. I was working in Hertford and just out of my apprentiship. The site of Chaseside Engineering was still there in the station yard and was littered with all sorts of buckets and frames from the cable era. The colour of the 980 was black and red with the name Chaseside on the ballast box.

Regards

Tony G.

From Italy 1944 note the very thick circle surrounding the star both on the door and the hood .

Us Army Engineers / US Army Engineers rebuilding bridges demolished by retreating Germans during WWII. Location: Italy Date taken: 1944 Photographer: Margaret Bourke-White

italy1944diamondt.jpg

Thanks Tony - I had not noticed the Chaseside sign-writing till I just blew the pic up. I had no idea about the Chaseside / Dial Holmes conection. :thumbsup:

Interesting how the history of many of these engineering companies is intertwined by engineers/designers moving from company to company - an era of great innovation! For example Chaseside/Muirhill/Northrop/ DJB yielding the first big 4 wheel drive tractors and artic dumptrucks.

Pic of the same Diamond t from a different angle , note the Chevy 1 1/2 ton in the back ground seems to have an added storage basket above the cab and the same thick ring marking on its door.

Us Army Engineers US Army Engineers rebuilding bridges demolished by retreating Germans during WWII. Location: Italy Date taken: 1944 Photographer: Margaret Bourke-White

italy1944dtchevy.jpg

Edited by abn deuce
spelling correction

N.O.S Here is another photo I have of the Chaseside Diamond T on a simulated recovery. You can see the recovery arrangement at the rear of the truck, the cable through the rear winch rollers and over the pulley. The problem with this was it tended to bend the winch rollers. I believe Mr Jackson converted a few 980 - 981's, one of which was owned by Cadzow's of Scotland Heavy Haulage. This is the same vehicle which appeared in military trim at the 2008 Dorset Steam Fair.

** Does anyone have or know where I can get a DT 980 closed cab scuttle rubber for my new project?**

Regards

Tony G

0903-1.jpg

N.O.S

** Does anyone have or know where I can get a DT 980 closed cab scuttle rubber for my new project?**

Regards

Tony G

Tony, you might want to speak to Jim Clark. I tried to get some original pattern rubber for mine but he has sourced a good alternative.

Adrian

I went to look at this diamond T with a view to buying it. It was a real heartbreaker, heavy rust everywhere, as it had been used as a snowplough and the salt had rotted it badly. I'm glad I walked away!

diamond t2 (Medium).jpg

diamond t 3 (Medium).jpg

diamond t (Medium).jpg

That cab will take some work to get right!:shocked:

Saw one some years ago in Aberdare in similar condition. Opened the door and it practically came off! The A post had completely disintegrated.