Ian L

Ww2 phillips mk. V military infantry bicycle

Email sent. Nice find with the rack. They're often dated if you look hard enough. Ron

Email sent. Nice find with the rack. They're often dated if you look hard enough. Ron

Hi Ron PM sent to Les but nothing back yet, cant find a date on the rack.

I love 'the chase' its almost the best bit of restoration :undecided:

Date should be on the back top of the cross bars. Were did you get the libaray photos?

MKV2.jpg

MkV1.jpg

Edited by Tony B

Ian , pictures of my rigid infantry bike, I always thought that it was a BSA. the rifle but clip and the muzzle clip are dated 1941 and 1942, I had pictures somewhere but cant find them , John.

Rigid Infantry Bicycle 001 - Copy.jpg

Rigid Infantry Bicycle 002.jpg

Rigid Infantry Bicycle 003.jpg

Rigid Infantry Bicycle 004.jpg

Rigid Infantry Bicycle 005.jpg

Rigid Infantry Bicycle 006.jpg

also Ian the muzzle clip part that bolts around the handlebar stem is brass, nothing a man of your calibre cant fabricate. John.

Picked up the bike this morning & its in much better condition that the photos showed, nice big chunky pedals.

Anyone know what the stencilling means ? and date it from the frame number ?

DSC06640.jpg

DSC06641.jpg

DSC06639.jpg

DSC06636.jpg

DSC06637.jpg

DSC06638.jpg

Edited by Ian L
spelling mistake

On the Mk V the front of the rifle wa sheld by a simple webbing strap fixed to the handlebars, not to tight though! :cool2:

RSD if I remember correctly was Returned Stores Depot, which would have been a RAOC establishment.

Edited by Richard Farrant
errror corrected

Is anyone making the WW2 pattern of Rifle Clips featured on this bicycle?

This guy on ebay is making repos & listing them as WW1 but when I sent him a message about the WW2 clips he said these are also WW2 as the pattern he used & still has is dated 1942.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361890005737?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rifle clips.jpg

Seeing these last few posts especially the one with the rifle reminds me that my father said his father was in the bicycle battalion in WW1, cant find any thread on here though

This guy on ebay is making repos & listing them as WW1 but when I sent him a message about the WW2 clips he said these are also WW2 as the pattern he used & still has is dated 1942.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361890005737?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are a number of different patterns but the type I have observed the most are of the pattern fitted to the bike for sale on e-bay.

There are a number of different patterns but the type I have observed the most are of the pattern fitted to the bike for sale on e-bay.

I'm in discussion by email with Ron's mate Lex & there's a chance that a batch of repos where the rifle sits on top of the handle bars may be made in the near future ? ;)

I'm in discussion by email with Ron's mate Lex & there's a chance that a batch of repos where the rifle sits on top of the handle bars may be made in the near future ? ;)

They are a lot more complex than the pattern currently being copied hence why people probably don't make them.

Ok, I seem to be able to post again!!

Here are my pictures of the gunclips, but looking at them, it will be very expensive to make them! need to make press fittings, so a batch of 20-30 or so would make it justifyable, but don't have the cash to start anything right now.

20170209_162003_2_.jpg

20170209_162014_2_.jpg

Leatherwork is also elaborate.

20170209_162034_2_.jpg

Rear one:

20170209_162407_2_.jpg

20170209_162433_2_.jpg

So one might be better of buying the bike on Ebay!

Cheers,

Lex

Rifle clips ?

What's wrong with string ?

Bicycle_zpsnufczzka.jpg

It would have been better to fasten it on the left side because of the bolt thinghy sticking out.

Yes, it looks like a Dutch bike.

Still a thing which winds us up because the germans stole a lot of them.

Hi Ron your right, just got the rack back from the blasters today & its stamped:

F.A & S Ltd MK 1VB 1944

Its very very faint & so I can't get a photo of it but I think that's what it reads ?