Ww2 phillips mk. V military infantry bicycle

Ian L

Thanks, it seems SCC 2 which was apparently re-named BS381 colour 499 Service Brown after WW2 is in the right direction. I know there are many variants but I would like to avoid using the standard US OD ('Mat 1') even though I really like this shade.

I'm restoring a Mk.V now and I will probably use a 2K spray can.

Edited by earlymb
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, welbike said:

Ok, but the US O.D. is different to the GB O.D. that is a fact, and I have not seen any bicycles in brown (original paint) but what do I know!

Lex

The restored examples I've seen seem to be the British OD green rather than Service Brown, indeed. I think this is the shade used from 1944 onwards?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that will give me a guide at least as I don't have the original fenders so I have to fabricate something from some old civilian ones I do have, like shaping the ends and fabricating those support rods and their brackets.

Edited by earlymb

Hi All,

I've seen at least two BSA 'Parabikes' in the Brown colour as original paint. 

One of them I own, frame and bars only, bought from the US where many were sold after the war through Sears catalogues.

More details and photos are here:

Best Regards,

Adrian

17 hours ago, Le Prof said:

Hi All,

I've seen at least two BSA 'Parabikes' in the Brown colour as original paint. 

One of them I own, frame and bars only, bought from the US where many were sold after the war through Sears catalogues.

More details and photos are here:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Interesting, thanks! I've started stripping my frame and although there are many layers of paint on it, all were some variant of green so it most likely was British OD from factory.

• 2 months later...

245474285_WhatsAppImage2022-01-21at14_15_51.thumb.jpeg.26282063c4b05b7cb3c52c1882a23eaf.jpeg

1504960697_WhatsAppImage2022-01-21at14_15_53.thumb.jpeg.a43cfe8e1cab9aa662a0c6f70c07c3fe.jpeg

170282969_WhatsAppImage2022-01-21at14_15_52.thumb.jpeg.0a4a49663298f0cbf2438b258f06b9e0.jpeg

I managed to get this rear fender in great condition. The tire is post-war but of the correct type, used but usable so I grabbed it. Now only 2 complete wheels and a front fender to go.... easypeasy! :)

Edited by earlymb

R.M.A.S. Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. I've heard that there were lots of these at that establishment, and a student could ride one from where ever he found it to where ever he was going and then just park it for the next person.

Ron

There were also various other shades of green used through the war. ie mid and dark Bronze green, Dark cammo green, Very dark green etc. British OD was introduced in April 44.  Ron

PS these are on ebay. He says original....last set

.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362130224165?hash=item5450a4b425:g:2JYAAOSwpYJhdRO6

Edited by Ron