Reporting Live from W&P Revival 2013

Marmite!!

I arrived Wednesday evening, as a seller, I'd seen the traders layout and choose to go to the very bottom row (EE on the traders map), to be as far away from the train line/motorway (traffic noise related reasons). My friend and I arrived late afternoon and were directed to the public car park, to wait for the vehicle movement restriction to be lifted at 6pm.

We booked in, found our pitch and all was good.

As previously said, the traders layout was very similar to the hop farm, and many traders had kept to their old spot, so to speak. Over the course of Thursday, Friday and Saturday, I did get to talk to many of the traders, with varying commets of, not mant buyers (i.e coming to the top of the traders field) to business as normal for others. I found having moved from my old pitch of S1, to row EE, that all the old faces and friends still found me and I could catch up with them, as is normal, when many come from as far away as Australia ! I managed to clear some of my excess clutter and with some money in my pocket, I can continue to enjoy my collecting hobby for the future. We did get caught up in the exclusions zone of stalls on Saturday morning, due to the incident of the flash bang, apparently it had been bought on a stall nearby and the EOD came and checked/cleared the stall I believe, we lost a couple of hours trading, but at least it was all dealt with professionally and swiftly.

Now to the show itself, evening entertainment and venues, were the same as the hop farm, plenty of variety of music and entertainment, the Bevan Boys and Three Belles on Thursday evening was briliant ! Of couse the burlesque in the Jazz bar, is also one to look out for ! (don't tell my wife).

The layout of the show, as was at hop farm, does take some getting used to, getting your bearings is straight forward as you can see most of the show area, from where ever you stand.

Vehicle displays and re-enactment displays, to me, seemed better, as it was in a more dedicated area, and there seemed to be more of it. The standard of displays just seems to get better also and I appreciate the effort needed to try to get things just right.

Dust was a major issue, but as we all know, when you have large vehicles and 1000's of pairs of feet, this just cannot be prevented and the organisors were wetting down the track ways as best as possible, but with wall to wall sunshine and a strong wind, it was a loosing battle. Being British, it was the main topic of conversation, but everyone agreed dust was better than rain !

Toilet and showers, I think were improved on, compared to the hop farm, again this is also ways a main gripe at any major show and I think a great deal of effort has been made to get things right.

So that is my view of the show, and all I can say, Thankyou Mr Cadman and your team, I'll be back for more !

Regards Gary

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the nlba you can expect it, so.. Planning counter measures should be easy.

If they keep being the way they are, ban the group from the show, elvis evening is ok, large party not ok at silly am.

Cheers, .303 (imps member)

It wasn't much of a surprise either as earlier in the week someone was testing the sound system with a low frequency oscillator, presumably to "tune it up" for maximum bass.

Apart from inflicting sleeplessness and annoyance on everone else on the site, the bigger problem is that it deliberately ignored the published rules on noise after midnight and so will have attracted the annoyance of the site's neigbours and the attention of the local council. The result may be a threat to the future of the event.

I don't expect anti-social behaviour from any group - whatever the excuse or reason; I do expect something to be done about it.

@marmite,

i am not bashing, it's mr cadmans crew that need to step in.

For the show, I'll be back next time :)

see if they learned from the mistakes.

It's trail and error with experiments.

As for nlba, time for civil discussions?

MIGHT like to get along with most and with talk we can get a solution for next year :)

cheers. Arjan from dust bowl field

I would like to say a thank you to Martin and jean, the people who make the reproduction boxes, for providing us with a cup of tea and biscuits which was like finding an oasis in the desert. Even more so because I had never even met them before.

really nice people ... Thank you

just got home from Beltring on sea and have to agree with mst of the previous comments and add that the staff on the gates need perhaps a little more briefing on the rules ,when we arrived with 1 van with wartime bikes and a camper for support we were quickly issued with wrist bands and to enter Kitcheners field and find a pitch however on arrival at the gate we were told "you cant drive in here until after 6.30 so go and park over there" as we were explaining we had been told to enter numerous civilian cars were entering and exiting unchallenged and we were told that there were too many chiefs and not enough Indians.The situation took a considerable amount of discussion to resolve but was at least finally sorted.

As regards Jack finding the bar ,he managed Friday night as my group spent a couple of hours drinking with him on the grandstand steps and then Gingers bar

Well we had a great War & Peace!

I love the site and I think over time it will develop into something really special.

I think the main problem in the Living History field(s) were the ditches that effectively stopped the idea of a timeline. A few small bridges and perhaps a trail, issued at the start, would make things a lot easier.

As soon as I heard the stalls were set out pretty much like Beltring, it all made sense - a great idea!

OK, so the water supply to the showers was a bit erratic (apparently caused by someone leaving them running on one occasion!) but I had a hot, clean shower every day. Our shower block was reasonably clean (a bin for used paper towels would have made it cleaner!) but it's disappointing that the filthy animals persist and cause deliberate (criminal) damage to the facilities.

The booking in marshalls deserve a medal for remaining polite and cheerful in that dust and heat for ten days and I found other marshalls noticeably more helpful than in the past - Malcolm Dunlop was particularly helpful in dealing with a noise issue.

The Jive Aces / Sand Dolls show - WOW! (and it was free too!)

The Airport Cafe - good food at reasonable prices with staff who seemed to enjoy witty banter with camo clad wierdos of all nations!

A huge thank you to the NLBA who woke Andy Long up fairly early one morning to recover one of our club members whose vehicle had suffered a major breakdown on the M20. Andy didn't know our friend (or us!) but he was on the road within 30 mins and back in time for the NLBA excursion to sunny Broadstairs. The NLBA often get a bad press (and please dont let this start a debate!) but, speak as you find, Andy and his friends went well out of their way to help us - thanks guys.

All in all, a great show and I look forward to next year. A few tweaks and this will be amazing so well done and thank you to the whole W&P team.

What a great show

Arrived Tuesday and got back after lunch today, spent the rest of the afternoon dusting off my bits and pieces, I’ll be jet washing the landy and 9x9 tomorrow. Kitchener’s field was very very dusty, however I have it on very good authority that straight after the show it will be rolled and sown with grass, so should be better next year.

I had no problems with the showers and loos. I know some got blocked but if you stuff newspaper etc down them what do you expect (so Rule Number 1 – Bring your own Bog paper).

It did take a little time to get used to the layout, but I like it. Long walk from Kitchener’s to the traders and elsewhere.

It was hot (very hot) and there were plenty of places to get water (so Rule Number 2 – bring your own small water bottle). Also have it on good authority that there will be a bus(es) circling the site to enable people to see more of the show.

The nights seemed quieter than at Beltring (or is it just me getting deaf ?)

All food reasonable prices, bacon baguettes were good, if you want gourmet food then cook your own.

Some great vehicles and living history displays, was the world record jeep line up achieved?

So a big thumbs up and thank you to Rex and the team, who in reality only had six months to put the whole thing together. Roll on next year – I’ll be back

Richard

PS I sure there will be many more rules added :D

Just got back home, are lorrys still at w&p on a low loader in the kitcherners field I think, waiting to leave tomorrow morning, had a great time very dusty!, the showers wasn't to bad, there what you expect on a camping trip but the toilets was disgusting, some people can't even be bothered to flush the chain, leave dirty paper on the floor and on some occasions it was even on the door handles, which annoyed me, children have to use the toilets to, but they had a cleaner cleaning them, but they soon got bad again, I'm not moaning about the show, loved every minute of it :).

Bill.

We day tripped it yesterday, visited a few of our good mates from our "show area", looked at some truly fantastic vehicles and displays and everyone came away happy, which is what it`s all about isn't it:??? I know people will moan, but guys remember, it`s a new venue, ideas look good on paper but you never really know what will work until everyone comes thundering in. At least the organisers know what will need to be "tweeked" and maybe bounce a few ideas off of you guys (and Girls (apologies )). The good thing is it happened, congrats to everyone for putting on a great show, be proud.

I am not happy from the show.

We broke down on the M25 in the heavy traffic from the fire.

currently stuck on a safe area at a travelodge waiting for a big yellow taxi to take us to Lincolnshire.

2 coils burned out, new points wasted . This 109 ex raf don't like me I guess.

I might get a point free set up with new coil to go with. It's going to be late and long for a change over on the trip where I can get food.

two dogs, disabled wife and disabled me.

I found the show to be good in the main it was very disjointed at the start (Saturday) with the lack of set up toilets but the marshals all seemed to be doing all they could. The set up for the traders could have been better as the fences divided the fields a bit too much but the home front displays were brilliant. We had a really good show with a few good bargains and finished it with my uncle's halftrack winning best wheeled armour so I am more than happy with how the new site worked out. If the organisers listen to the marshals and to some of the suggestions from the visitors then I'm excited to see how much it can grow.

I had the busiest show ever.

We brought a Sabre in the last tender at Withams, and decided to take it to the show to tinker with. We had a day at home where we steam cleaned the outside, and started to clean out the engine bay and drivers position.

I made a few calls and emails in the week up to the show, and it all started to fall into place. We collected an engine from Timbo on the Thursday before the show, loaded that Friday evening onto the Larry with the sabre.

We moved into the show Saturday set up camp and just rolled the saber off the lorry. We started work on Sunday, finished cleaning the drivers position, the put the engine in, including shimming it to the correct alignment. On Monday we located bolts for the dampers, went off site to collect them, the put the dampers on. Monday we spent lifting the turret basket, and cleaning out the fuel tank, not a pleasant job! Tuesday and Wednesday we spent finishing off inside and replaced the turret basket, then the tracks arrived, so we then put the tracks on. We took some advice from Andrew Baker and wired up the engine, and put in some fuel. We turned the engine over with the fuel pump disconnected to get the oil pressure up. We then connected up the fuel pump, purged the fuel system, connected the fuel pipe. After wiping our brows, we hit the starter button, and after about 15 seconds she fired up. :-)))

Andy Baker came over and was smiling as much as we were, he just moved it back and forth to see what happened and all seemed well. Thursday we installed the drivers/engine bay bulkhead, and connected the throttle linkages and put in a drivers seat assembley, time for a drive. I took the saber out of our area, and drove it around our block, what a feeling:-) my co-owner took it for a spin as well, and it drove nicely. We put on the deck plates, and headed for the arena Thursday afternoon, and it ran nicely. Wed had 4 days hard graft, but it was well worth it. The rest of the show we took a lot easier, we did put some paint on most of it, but the wind beat us!

The rest of the show was much more relaxed, and we enjoyed the whole place. I recon the sites good, a bit of finer tuning will see it improve more.

I had the busiest show ever.

We brought a Sabre in the last tender at Withams, and decided to take it to the show to tinker with. We had a day at home where we steam cleaned the outside, and started to clean out the engine bay and drivers position.

I made a few calls and emails in the week up to the show, and it all started to fall into place. We collected an engine from Timbo on the Thursday before the show, loaded that Friday evening onto the Larry with the sabre.

We moved into the show Saturday set up camp and just rolled the saber off the lorry. We started work on Sunday, finished cleaning the drivers position, the put the engine in, including shimming it to the correct alignment. On Monday we located bolts for the dampers, went off site to collect them, the put the dampers on. Monday we spent lifting the turret basket, and cleaning out the fuel tank, not a pleasant job! Tuesday and Wednesday we spent finishing off inside and replaced the turret basket, then the tracks arrived, so we then put the tracks on. We took some advice from Andrew Baker and wired up the engine, and put in some fuel. We turned the engine over with the fuel pump disconnected to get the oil pressure up. We then connected up the fuel pump, purged the fuel system, connected the fuel pipe. After wiping our brows, we hit the starter button, and after about 15 seconds she fired up. :-)))

Andy Baker came over and was smiling as much as we were, he just moved it back and forth to see what happened and all seemed well. Thursday we installed the drivers/engine bay bulkhead, and connected the throttle linkages and put in a drivers seat assembley, time for a drive. I took the saber out of our area, and drove it around our block, what a feeling:-) my co-owner took it for a spin as well, and it drove nicely. We put on the deck plates, and headed for the arena Thursday afternoon, and it ran nicely. Wed had 4 days hard graft, but it was well worth it. The rest of the show we took a lot easier, we did put some paint on most of it, but the wind beat us!

The rest of the show was much more relaxed, and we enjoyed the whole place. I recon the sites good, a bit of finer tuning will see it improve more.

I took the Bedford CA MK1 on Tuesday having finished painting on Friday and assembly Sunday and Monday. Got it running and did 3 laps of the site. Can't tell you the feeling of a vehicle that hasn't been driven for at least 30 years and seeing people diving for their cameras.

I'm right with you. Fantastic week.

I saw jack, but didn't have time for a chat. He was doing some deal about a tent. Also saw Chris G and Bernard. Saw Olafs car.

Olaf has set a trend I think. A big UN appearance at W&P this year:

IMG_2672_zps12abad9d.jpg

IMG_2670_zps28edeb09.jpg

IMG_2657_zps407e150b.jpg

IMG_2649_zps55f2b014.jpg

IMG_2646_zps3c68963c.jpg

Also a lot of MP's

IMG_2709_zps44cc1e76.jpg

IMG_2681_zpsb7b258a1.jpg

IMG_2675_zps76007a68.jpg

This was really nice though:

IMG_2684_zps18c32c32.jpg

Me being a trendsetter?

That's new...:-D

I agree too. Costs us about a grand every year to put on our display!

I can believe that. Although we dont put a display on as such, in past years we taken three pre 1945 vehicles with trailers.

Last year our fuel bill was a shade under £900.

This year due to economic reasons we only ended up taking one vehicle on a trailer,it was however 1944 in date and a "true ex-mil" vehicle, unlike the white van with "UN" made from parcel tap.......grrrrrrrr.

On a lighter note I was glad to see that the problem of kids racing on quads had been sorted, this year it was only adults on motorbikes in Kitcheners field causing additional dust storms....like we needed that.

All that said great show, thanks to Rex and his team.

I can believe that. Although we dont put a display on as such, in past years we taken three pre 1945 vehicles with trailers.

Last year our fuel bill was a shade under £900.

This year due to economic reasons we only ended up taking one vehicle on a trailer,it was however 1944 in date and a "true ex-mil" vehicle, unlike the white van with "UN" made from parcel tap.......grrrrrrrr.

On a lighter note I was glad to see that the problem of kids racing on quads had been sorted, this year it was only adults on motorbikes in Kitcheners field causing additional dust storms....like we needed that.

All that said great show, thanks to Rex and his team.

My tuppence worth........(which doesnt go far nowadays....!)

If you have an MV that is obviously "What it is" not a problem, ie; Armoured Car, Tank, Carrier etc.

If you have a vehicle that also had a civvie version, Truck, Bike etc then its easy to bring some form of ID on it as most of have history on their machines! Its what we do, get the vehicle, restore the vehicle and search the history of the vehicle.

Theres the other side of it tho, the ones that have built their own from another vehicle because either they cant find one or the cost of owning the real one such as the Private Ryan Tiger (Plywood???), RAF Armoured Car (From an LDV chassis I think!) etc. These are obvious tho, even to the uninformed, so i dont have a problem with these.:D

I agree tho, getting the Ford Mondeo, taking your Tesco shop out of the boot and putting UN in black electric tape down the sides (or eben MP!! to get into a show is taking the p*ss!!!:shocked:

Dont shoot me down, just an opinion that i have and makes sense to someone else prob, but many many miles away I guess!!!!:undecided: