Tank Fest Entry Requirements

So I take it that no kids our allowed to attend with their parents who are booked in with an MV... or do you just have to hide them out of sight :confused:

It doesn't encourage MV ownership when the general public think that you HAVE to dress up to attend shows with their vehicle...

Not sure Lee as the only mv's their belonged to the displays....apart from mine!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understood it to be Tank Fest at the Tank Museum. The clue is in the title I feel.....! If has become a living history event, it may well go the way of others that have done the same.

Not sure Adrian as everything to do with tanks goes on inside the arena.

I understood it to be Tank Fest at the Tank Museum. The clue is in the title I feel.....! If has become a living history event, it may well go the way of others that have done the same.

Sounds like another Detling... picking & choosing what they allow in... look at that now, loads of empty spaces...

So, Wayne, you want everyone to dress up in period gear at the Tank Fest. If I turned up with my brencarrier marked up as 7th. armoured Div. and I was wearing a gaudy coloured silk scarf,scuffed brothel creeper suede shoes highly coloured corduroy trousers and carrying a flywisk, you would ban me for not being in period uniform.

This outfit is described in Churchill"s Desert Rats by Patric Delaforce. Page 1. Also seeing as I will be 65 next year I would look a complete pratt dressed up in BD and posing around as a combat soldier. I agree with Catwesel with his comment that the museum welcomed us old farts when years ago they had nothing much to display outside. John.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

It seems from the comments so far, some MV owners feel that just turning up will get them in for free, and that thats all the effort they need to make. Well sorry this is no longer the case. The paying public expect to see it looking right, and it does not do the museums worldwide reputation any good by having low standards.

Just turn up and get in for free.that would be nice.how many people have done this to give you the idea thats what we are all at.

I dont object to you wanting a show thats planned to a specific criteria.

What i object to is your headmaster way you go about telling us what will be done and what wont be tollerated,all i see is what you would like to have,adhered too,make the grade,would prefer, not a single,it would be nice.please ,thank you.hope you understand,This paying public you talk about is the likes of me and other members who have paid in the past and hugely recently so it seems you can come on here and tell us what will and will not be tollerated.Have your show have your tanks do you need all the other vehicles and the dressing up as usuall you want the free backdrop just to boost the event,i thought when the reenactor thing started it was a nice addition now i am not so sure,i think theres a lot of people maybe we should start worrying about from what i see.

Now you have had our money how about a Bunker bash show at Bovy

maybe i had better not hold my breath.Seems to me there was a lot of repro ration packs etc at your event.I told pat not to give me that pot of cockles see what its done.:-D

It seems from the comments so far, some MV owners feel that just turning up will get them in for free, and that thats all the effort they need to make. Well sorry this is no longer the case. The paying public expect to see it looking right, and it does not do the museums worldwide reputation any good by having low standards.

I have a great respect for all MV owners, but the dresscode will still take effect at events

Never mind how much it costs to get there.

You want unique/special vehicles with people in the proper attire... what if that SAS Range Rover (well documented) wanted to book in.. fairly unique with all it's occupants properly dressed as in service.... Jeans & T-shirts should do nicely:coffee: would that be acceptable..

sas range rover.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

Wayne, in your introduction you posted:

I don't own a MV myself but wished to join here to improve contacts between your hobby and ours.

Doesn't look like it's working, I would say it's having the opposite effectprogress.gif

You want unique/special vehicles with people in the proper attire... what if that SAS Range Rover (well documented) wanted to book in.. fairly unique with all it's occupants properly dressed as in service.... Jeans & T-shirts should do nicely:coffee: would that be acceptable..

Good point Lee - although it is post Korea........ Come to that though - how would you define "uniform dress" for anyone re-enacting the Regiment at any period of it's history??? Throughout it's history the word "uniform" has never really applied, apart from 1945 -ish; kit and clothing were whatever the wearer/user felt suitable to the job in hand.

Never mind how much it costs to get there.

Also a valid point - if you want to have armoured vehicles there then the owners will have paid a LOT of money, one way or another, to get them there. If - for arguments sake - you were prepared to accept 60's Warsaw pact kit then were I to attend for me to ship the OT would be around £1500 return. I don't recall seeing any mention of even a partial refund of transport costs in return for the - to me - rather strict requirements expected of the owner(s).

Why:confused:

The reenactors dont get paid to stand all day in their foxholes, and many slept in them at night too.

I have a great respect for all MV owners, but the dresscode will still take effect at events

If the MV is there - doesn't the museum have enough trained guides to talk to visitors about the vehicle/armour in question??? Again using the OT as an example - it's virtually impossible for me at 6' tall, 19 stone and with weird feet to get the appropriate Czech uniform of that era. Were I to take it I would not mind parking it up in a display and allowing a guide to waffle about it to visitor whilst I wandered around - seems a small price for the museum to pay in lieu of a £1500 transport bill.....

Of course - the WW1 to Korea limitation would rule it's attendance out anyway even though it's the only fully equipped OT (or will be when the KVPT is delivered) in the UK..........

Not sure Lee as the only mv's their belonged to the displays....apart from mine!

Sorry Jack - a rental white van does NOT count as an MV - not matter how many "battle scars" you give it!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have put in considerable thought today about how I could meet Wayne"s critirea. I would like to be accepted as a re-inactor of a soldier in the Arrakan swamps of Burma, this would entail buying some jungle outfit and a few weeks before turning up I will emerse it in a very smelly bog. Then on the night before I will eat a huge meal and when arriving will take an emetic. I will then cut the ass out of my jungle green trousers, just as they did, so when the potion begins to work I can crouch down in front of the adoring public and have a C**p. This would be totally authentic behaviour. If as a bonus you have any Japs in the audience please could you tye them to a tree with barbed wire and I could show your fans what they did to prisioners with their bayonets. John

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

And thats just in back axle oil what about the petrol.:rofl:

It is rather sad that in order to show your restored MV at Tankfest that you HAVE to 'dress up' as well.

I admit that strolling around well presented living history displays is wonderful, but that must not detract from the importance of the vehicles themselves. Are we saying that the public come purely to be 'entertained', if so, all the vehicles might as well be replicas. To 'the public*', replica or original probably wouldn't make much difference if they have come to watch fake soldiers and fake gunfire.

At classic car events people don't dress up from the period of their cars very oftern at all, nor at warbird shows with ground crew etc...

*whoever 'they' are, surely 'we' are.

I can appreciate the desire to keep the vehicles and those with them in period uniforms in order to make for a better viewing and photographic experience , but perhaps something like a general military style coverall would be OK ? Since a number of MV owners either never served and feel uncomfortable wearing such or as said earlier feel it would not be correct as they are too senior As for those with HMV's , how will they be shielded at their vehicles against rain and sun ? since you ask that they be on hand to answer questions and speak about their vehicles ? Would they be allowed a Jerry can or ammo crate to rest themselves on ? What of the reenactors will they be allowed rain gear or do they get wet also?

Lastly while a static Vehicle is ok , its really nice to be able to hear it running and even better if its able to be seen moving , a number of HMV owners dont like to go to a show simply to park it for the entire event , they like to show a bit of all the hard work they did to make a working vehicle, would they be allowed to do that at the Tankfest ?

I am sure the Tank fest are happy with the way they run their show....the fact that we are not welcome unless its under their terms and conditions is just that, its their show and they make the rules...

The fact that they are ignoring their past and those that helped in the past is just the way things go, it always happens in life, new people new ideas and loads of old people who dont like change get annoyed. However once money is involved the world changes.....Current statments seem to say to me that they have lost what it (bovington tank museun) is all about...the education element is just an attempt to add credence to the way they want to run their show... and eventually the musuem...banal, me too, heard it all before type stuff...not really very imaginative at all...

The general public want to be entertained, if at the same time they can be educated by offering some form of realistic view at the same time seems great doesnt it...education for educations sake,...hmmm not sure it works to be honest....truth is as long as they keep coming its good news for Bovington and the tank museum...

I just hope that by ostracising the general MV population they dont also ostracise themselves...

It is clear that you NOW HAVE TO BE more interested in the perpetuation of the business that is Bovington tank museum than the tanks themselves...whilst this may sound like a good thing, what it will do is change the taste and flavour of the tank museum, which may or may not be good change. This new business has to find a way to survive and this is exactly what it is doing...I suspect that may not be about keeping tanks fit and healthy for the future of those who are interested in them...

good luck is all I can say and I hope your new business survives....and that the general public keep coming to the museum so that at least some of the money will go to adding more and more MV's from all periods and all arenas and so perpetuating the real reason for the tank musuem...i suspect that with pension payments, wages and other costs that tanks will become a minor expense in the bigger picture of it all...

I wonder how much it is the Tank Museum imposing the dress code and how much is the reenactors who may have been asked to help with the organising.

Tankfest (and any similar event) requires a huge amount of work and if the organisers were approached by a group offering to take care of the static displays, they would likely have bitten their hands off.

All conjecture I know but reading between the lines, it wouldn't surprise me. Ho hum....

Unfortunatley, the Tank Museum and many other organisiatrions are 'fund chashing'. Which currently seems that any proposal must include the words 'Education' or 'Global Warming'. An organisation that I have devoted many voluntary hours to has recently changed it's policy, due to 'Customers' having to 'Fund Chase' from the public purse. The result, regretfully, I will be spending more time with my MV's.

I've read all this and you know where I stand on me dressing up. I'm fifty, I'm fourteen stone and I am knackered. It won't be done. But I really like the living history/re-enactment scene. I find it fascinating. I strongly believe that LH and MV do go hand in hand - but they don't have to go for a full merger. It isn't inevitable. The mix is great and is going nicely enough for me as it is.

In my time as a snapper for CMV and doing show pics for W & P I have learned to separate event photography from realistic images. They both have merits. Undeniably getting a great snap that "looks" like it is authentic is a buzz. But I also like the smiling kids, the silly hats, the 'this is my money I'll do what I want" look - all of it. This is a complete package I would not change.

I've never been to TankFest. But I assumed the clue was in the name. I don't believe a paying very general public are bothered about uniforms. But I accept that certain more knowledgeable people are. I am not sure that anyone would travel thousands of miles with the high expectation they'd get snaps that look like 1944 at this venue.

Can I remind you to look at Duxford, a show I like a lot. The MV crews have to wear hi-viz and hardhats - these really DO spoil the photos - but that's H & S. How does H & S sit with period berets in tanks?

The requirement for uniforms allows refuseniks to vote with their tyres and not go. It's a shame, but if this is how the TM sees it's future then end of.

I'd still have given it the lottery money, but would perhaps have demanded it be spent it on the collection more than towers and bold visual statements. But what do I know?

I asked two guys to cover the event for me and they had a great time. Nuff said. I like variety and as soon as this is snuffed out then that's my lot. But this is a wide hobby, a broad church. I wouldn't change that for a minute and support everyone's right to organise the event they want. Just don't expect everyone to attend. Putting fences up is the beginning of the end.

I do think appearing to be turning their backs on the traditional MV scene is a shame. But at the same time I can see the argument about admission. Just because someone turns up in a Landy should not necessarily mean a freebie. We've had this over other events. Old ground. They may not be doing this of course; but the impression is there and once it takes hold...boom.

What we have here, it seems to me; is a bunch of mixed messages and all it does is pee off people who care about what is in general terms a common interest. This does not foster the unity we need to stop the serious things that will scupper all aspects of the hobby in due course - emissions, further gun control, "polical" uniforms, independent thought and deed are things we need to be worrying about.

MB

I have not been to Tankfest before; now don’t bite me head off, but....

Q. Tankfest, is this a strictly WW2/WW1 only event?

A. Yes sorry no other time frames accepted at this event.

Q. Do you want to display your vehicle mixed in with a living history display?

A. Yes please.

Ok well if you would like to take part in the living history display we would require you to wear the appropriate kit for period etc if you intend staying with your vehicle, just to make it look authentic so that the MoPs think they are back in that era.

A. Ok will do as I have an appropriate uniform or I know where I can loan one.

So far seems fair to me…….However they should add;

No. I would not like to take part in a living history display but would still like to display my vehicle informally at your event.

Ok. That’s not a problem the more the merrier all non living history display vehicles please form a line adjacent to the Living history set pieces.

Again for multi period events 50’s - present day, persons that wish to be included or have their own living history display to the right others to the left of the arena.

Simples?

Fort Nelson:

Every Easter WW2 weekend, (emphasis on the WW2) full of lots of nice WW2 living history displays with guys and gals in appropriate vehicles and gear, fantastic, feels like you are back in the 1940’s. However MVT/SOE members are invited to turn up in their all period MV’s but they display in their own area adjacent to the WW2 camp, seems to me that works fine and I have never heard anyone complain and why would non WW2 vehicle want to park up in with WW2 living history display anyway?

For my US display (of which there are some pictures on here) I strive to display original kit, but I mix that in with repro ration boxes etc….and yes I have committed the ultimate sin by having an Americanised Hotchkiss, but I do not pretend it is a Willys/Ford and I have left the French data plate on full display….Ok I have done even worse I allow a woman I know come onto my display area and help me out dressed as a US combat soldier.

My two cents worth.

Paul

Edited by BIGREDONE