Tank Fest Entry Requirements

Can I clear a few things up. In the past the MVT and others have been made welcome to Tankfest. However now due to the limited display area, the organisers including me, have had to make some adjustments to the sorts of things coming to be displayed.

The museum has taken the step to provide all it's tank crew with the correct coloured uniforms for the tanks they are driving, all the living history displays are void of any modern kit or camping equipment during the day. The tanks where poss are put into living history displays to help bring them to life and to give a better idea of what it was really like.

In future we/I would like to have MVT involvment in Tankfest, but only if the following can be adhered too.

1. People come from all over the world to see the stuff that comes to Tankfest, but having a MV covered in Normandy 2008, 2007, 2006 stickers dont make the grade.

It needs to be as it was when it was used for real.

2. Bringing your MV to the show, parking it up and leaving it, is not an option. It is not a free ticket to get in. I would prefer you come along, park it up in one of the suitable living history areas and allow it to be park of the display. Ideally with you still with the MV dressed in the correct uniform for the MV and time period.

3. You need to be happy to bring it for the whole weekend, starting Friday Night, you need it to be clear of modern stuff during the day, No sitting behind it in deckchairs, no showroom finish, it needs to be as realistic as it should be.

There are may great MVs out there that I and many others would like to see, so its over to you.

One final point, the reason for this stiff approach is, about 10 years ago I was a visitor to an MVT event held at Bovington and stood in the crowd with me was a guy from Canada and another for Austrailia. They where armed with top of the range cameras ready to photograph the MVs and Tanks, we had been stood together for several hours so had become chatty during the show.

But as several or the Mv went past that stopped taking pictures, and instead just complained about the rare MV going around the show arena with plastic water bottles and kids in jeans and red tee shirts manning the 30cal of a jeep, and saying what a waste of time it was for them coming halfway round the world and the owner of the MV, as it was like only going half way to doing it right.

its 100% or not at all.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wayne thank you for coming forward with that explanation which all seems perfectly reasonable given the prestige of the event. As a FoTM & one time exhibitor of MV at such events, I am pleased you have cleared the air of slight hurt/doubt about the display policy.

We now know what aim for in future years. I know it might be difficult to evaluate what might be booked in. Perhaps I could suggest future entries are accompanied with a photo of the vehicle & occupant in appropriate uniform with an undertaking that the exhibit is presented as the picture depicts otherwise admission would be declined.

I have just read through what I have written, it is not at all meant to be sarcastic, but an acceptance of how privately owned MVs might get involved in the event again for mutual benefit.

Chris

Thats is what I want to do for next event. David Willie the curator and I are keen to get the right mix of MV traffic on site.

One thing that happened this year was someone turned up witha green goddess and wanted to drive into the display area. he had no invite and was most pout out when told he would have to pay like everyone else and had to park it up with the vans and campmers in the car park.

One point that needs to be made clear, We/I have no problems with any MV from what ever period, but the ww1 to Korea Period will get priority, and will have to fit in with space available.

It would need to be something really special to get a Land Rover in, emember this is not Beltring, and I mean this in the nices way.

I went to Tankfest for the first time on Saturday and have to say that it was a fantastic event. It was so good to see the crews in the machines that displayed all in the correct uniforms. Plus, the Living History area was really well done with slit trenches on the bank and various layouts on the field. Special mention must go to the guys with the halftrack who had created a marvellous period set piece which if photographed from the right angle put you right 'there' so to speak. In spite of the heat, the attention to detail showed as when an outer uniform was removed there were no modern t-shirts on view, just standard issue grubby white with no logos in evidence. Well done to the organisers for setting this rule for this special event.

With several hundred images to go through, I've not been through them all yet but when I have, I'll post some here and give a link to the full report.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Can I clear a few things up. In the past the MVT and others have been made welcome to Tankfest. However now due to the limited display area, the organisers including me, have had to make some adjustments to the sorts of things coming to be displayed.

The museum has taken the step to provide all it's tank crew with the correct coloured uniforms for the tanks they are driving, all the living history displays are void of any modern kit or camping equipment during the day. The tanks where poss are put into living history displays to help bring them to life and to give a better idea of what it was really like.

In future we/I would like to have MVT involvment in Tankfest, but only if the following can be adhered too.

1. People come from all over the world to see the stuff that comes to Tankfest, but having a MV covered in Normandy 2008, 2007, 2006 stickers dont make the grade.

It needs to be as it was when it was used for real.

2. Bringing your MV to the show, parking it up and leaving it, is not an option. It is not a free ticket to get in. I would prefer you come along, park it up in one of the suitable living history areas and allow it to be park of the display. Ideally with you still with the MV dressed in the correct uniform for the MV and time period.

3. You need to be happy to bring it for the whole weekend, starting Friday Night, you need it to be clear of modern stuff during the day, No sitting behind it in deckchairs, no showroom finish, it needs to be as realistic as it should be.

There are may great MVs out there that I and many others would like to see, so its over to you.

One final point, the reason for this stiff approach is, about 10 years ago I was a visitor to an MVT event held at Bovington and stood in the crowd with me was a guy from Canada and another for Austrailia. They where armed with top of the range cameras ready to photograph the MVs and Tanks, we had been stood together for several hours so had become chatty during the show.

But as several or the Mv went past that stopped taking pictures, and instead just complained about the rare MV going around the show arena with plastic water bottles and kids in jeans and red tee shirts manning the 30cal of a jeep, and saying what a waste of time it was for them coming halfway round the world and the owner of the MV, as it was like only going half way to doing it right.

its 100% or not at all.

Bit different from years ago when the musuem never had a pot to pee in and was happy to have us in any guise to lure the punters in.Forget it rather stick pins in me eyes.Who gives a fig what foreigners think,there lottery money was it.Any photos allowed .Clive is the vehicle you returned on prominent display?Any petrol money paid .i cant believe what i have just read,ok keep it to period but for christ sake its suposed to be fun.

Come on chaps musnt upset the foreigners look lively there is that a quavers packet i see under your seat.:shocked:

I went to Tankfest for the first time on Saturday and have to say that it was a fantastic event. It was so good to see the crews in the machines that displayed all in the correct uniforms. Plus, the Living History area was really well done with slit trenches on the bank and various layouts on the field. Special mention must go to the guys with the halftrack who had created a marvellous period set piece which if photographed from the right angle put you right 'there' so to speak. In spite of the heat, the attention to detail showed as when an outer uniform was removed there were no modern t-shirts on view, just standard issue grubby white with no logos in evidence. Well done to the organisers for setting this rule for this special event.

With several hundred images to go through, I've not been through them all yet but when I have, I'll post some here and give a link to the full report.

If you mean the halftrack with the quad 50cal machine guns that was my group. Full kit was to be worn as it was 65 years ago.

I have to say I was a little surprised by this comment ! " kids in jeans and red tee shirts manning the 30cal of a jeep, " Surely these are the very people that should be encouraged to take part as they are future customers and the people the museum is trying to educate and get enthusiastic about history etc ! Also will the museum now be paying people to re-enact at the shows if they are expected to stand by THEIR vehicles all day ! Not very impressed if this is the way forward I'm afraid ! Shame !

I suppose if it was an MV enthusiast running the show & not a reenactor things may be different.... don't forget it was Land Rover's pulling Jeeps, dodges out of the sticky stuff & I pulled a halftrack out of the mud at Beltring last year... he didn't mind that I had Jeans on...

What about gas sim fire guns... nothing original about them but most groups have them..

Come to the Bunker Bash we don't give a toss what you wear... all shows can easily accomadate Mil & civy & still put on good displays...

Bit different from years ago when the musuem never had a pot to pee in and was happy to have us in any guise to lure the punters in.Forget it rather stick pins in me eyes.Who gives a fig what foreigners think,there lottery money was it.Any photos allowed .Clive is the vehicle you returned on prominent display?Any petrol money paid .i cant believe what i have just read,ok keep it to period but for christ sake its suposed to be fun.

Come on chaps musnt upset the foreigners look lively there is that a quavers packet i see under your seat.:shocked:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I suppose if it was an MV enthusiast running the show & not a reenactor things may be different.... don't forget it was Land Rover's pulling Jeeps, dodges out of the sticky stuff & I pulled a halftrack out of the mud at Beltring last year... he didn't mind that I had Jeans on...

What about gas sim fire guns... nothing original about them but most groups have them..

Come to the Bunker Bash we don't give a toss what you wear... all shows can easily accomadate Mil & civy & still put on good displays...

One of the best fun wk ends you can have,Have you noticed theres two different conversations going on here,i must get some of those selective glasses ,they only let you see what you want to you know.:-D

One of the best fun wk ends you can have,Have you noticed theres two different conversations going on here,i must get some of those selective glasses ,they only let you see what you want to you know.:-D

I take it that Bovy will not be allowing any replica MV's in... that's half the German's kit out then:coffee: some of them are made out of Land Rovers too:nono:

Land Rover based Sdkfz 222... would this get in??

Land Rover based Sdkfz 222.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

Sorry Clive not strictly military mate:rofl:

You are right CW it was not built as military vehicle.

During its early career the British Army thought that disorder in the province might be controlled by fitting riot protection screens to Morris Travellers!

Rest assured that this non-military vehicle was eventually requisitioned in 1971 & entered Army service for 6 years as 27 BT 68.

Take a look at Weymouth Veterans Parade, all the MV owners have made the little effort to wear the right clothing, and to get into the spirit of the event. At the end of the day its your choice, just like a night club, the museum has a dress code.

3625252541_9148ebeb38.jpg

3626068666_c1f6d1bd20.jpg

3668752748_4c04d727a2.jpg?v=0

Edited by WAYNE15071965

I have to say I was a little surprised by this comment ! " kids in jeans and red tee shirts manning the 30cal of a jeep, " Surely these are the very people that should be encouraged to take part as they are future customers and the people the museum is trying to educate and get enthusiastic about history etc ! Also will the museum now be paying people to re-enact at the shows if they are expected to stand by THEIR vehicles all day ! Not very impressed if this is the way forward I'm afraid ! Shame !

The reenactors dont get paid to stand all day in their foxholes, and many slept in them at night too.

It seems from the comments so far, some MV owners feel that just turning up will get them in for free, and that thats all the effort they need to make. Well sorry this is no longer the case. The paying public expect to see it looking right, and it does not do the museums worldwide reputation any good by having low standards.

I have a great respect for all MV owners, but the dresscode will still take effect at events

This is a very tricky business , what is right and what not , I prefer to see somebody dressed in ordinary T Shirt , then in uniform if they don`t match . What I mean is that there are over aged persons , in Airborne Clothing , wich would only be period correct as Home guard . And then there is the Heavy Drop brigade wich has 2 uniforms stiched together to get in , and need at least 3 parachutes to get safe too the ground (special wide doors for C47 needed) , So I think there should also be a dress code , Some vets talked to me and said it is offending the orriginal uniform , were I fully agree with them .

And vehicle restorers are different people then Reenactors.

And vehicle restorers are different people then Reenactors.

Exactly. Many reenactors go to great lengths to ensure they are wearing the correct underpants but are quite happy to run round in mock up vehicles or at least vehicles pretending to be what they're not. All fine to me but it gets a bit anoying when we are told what to wear.

As for the paying public deserving the best, the average member of the audience couldn't care less. I agree that a period look is the best and I tend to don a denim jacket and or beret when driving my Sherman at a show. There seems to be a bit of reenactor facsism creeping in at what are military vehicle events.

WOW - just read all of this! As always - good points all round.

I can only give a view point of someone who was there as a business with our stand so I was both 'public' and sort of an 'insider' too.....

This is one of the best shows of its kind and it is a credit to the WW11 LHA and it's members. The diorama's and appearance of the reenactors are the best I have ever seen - what ever the rules are (good and bad) it works. The high standard that is set should be commended and should be a bench mark.

This weekend was all about education and that was exactly what I and the public got - surely this is what it is all about? To have such a focused show like this is wonderful, no tat, no nonsense, no fools driving around like idiots.

With regards to uniforms v T shirts I think like all things, some people couldn't care whilst others do. I think the days of wearing civvy clothes has gone but then nothing is permanent in life except change.

Wayne may of taken a hard line and he will more than likely have a bumpy ride but then everyone who stands thier ground always does - just look at the Stevens brothers.

So I take it that no kids our allowed to attend with their parents who are booked in with an MV... or do you just have to hide them out of sight :confused:

It doesn't encourage MV ownership when the general public think that you HAVE to dress up to attend shows with their vehicle...