Stalwart braking system & other bits

Rain stopped play today... went to Abbey Hose & got them to remake those brake pipes... then on to Thurston Engineering to pick up the compressor cylinder & new piston rings... cheaper than quoted... To hone the cylinder & new rings.. £42.00 inc vat...

102_3731.jpg

Got a quote of Thurstons to make one of these..approx £100:sweat: it will be ready Tuesday

Brokenbanjounion.jpg

Despite the heat we had a good day today. Both air packs are now in, one is plumbed in totally, one is only plumbed in on the air side till we get the part shown above back from the machine shop (tomorrow or Weds). Sensing tank is in and plumbed in as is the pressure Governor which is now set to the book value. Pedal linkages are all in and set-up to the dimensions given in the book but the pins need to come out again tomorrow to have split pins fitted. Something Lee forgot to mention was that the pedal itself was only held onto the linkages by a couple of threads - had the unthinkable happened and we'd had to do a full emergency stop it was quite on the cards the pedal could have detached from the linkages with disastrous consequences for all involved. Lee has removed the pressure regulator form the cab as this als was filled with greyish sludge and has taken it home to clean it.

I think the plans for tomorow are to finish off in the cab so that we are ready to vleed from there then fit the 4 repaired callipers and new flexi-hoses to the centre & front wheel stations. The two rear ones are still under discussion as Banisters did not have enough piston seals in stock to do all 6 callipers (as soon as they arrive he's posting them up to us) so we may just flush out the rear callipers and leave them till the end of the season and then remove, clean, reassemble and refit them..

We are seeing light at the end of the tunnel at long last - but are also desperately praying it's not an Express train going in the other direction!!! :):):)

Too bloody hot today... anyway time to start fitting this lot:sweat:

100_3734.jpg

Fitting the Airpacks.. All the air pipework had sprung when I took them off, took ages to get the unions lined up properly...

100_3744.jpg

100_3747.jpg

100_3749.jpg

Sensing tank & Governor refitted & new nylon sensing pipe & stainless push fittings..

100_3757.jpg

Push fittings I had were the wrong thread so had to cut new thread to suit...

100_3754.jpg

New fiitings & sensing pipe to compressor junction...

100_3756.jpg

Time to remove the pressure regulator..

100_3763.jpg

100_3760.jpg

100_3765.jpg

Stripped down for inspection...

100_3768.jpg

Found the usual gung...

100_3769.jpg

The PCL airline fitting was fitted to test the pressure as taken off... was supposed to be 65psi... was set at 140psi:nono:

Can I clarify something? That wiring is in a proffesionally restored vehicle?

You know what they say, A picture says a thousand words.............:(

I would imagine that 'The Restorers', were EXTREMELY dilligent in taking your money though...:cool2:

Edited by Marmite!!
edit quote tag

You know what they say, A picture says a thousand words.............:(

I would imagine that 'The Restorers', were EXTREMELY dilligent in taking your money though...:cool2:

Oh yes........ :-( :-( :-(

Perhaps now the comment about our fears about the light at the end of the tunnel being the express headed the other way makes more sense????

We've had pet hates elsewhere today but that is one of mine. Ten thousand lines to anyone who has used those horrible insulated terminals anywhere. People who claim to be professional and use chocolate block and those vile in line chop things ought to be burned at the stake. You can buy nice non-insulated terminals that look and work just right for pennies (less then those Halfrauds quality insulated ones) so there is no excuse for using them.

We've had pet hates elsewhere today but that is one of mine. Ten thousand lines to anyone who has used those horrible insulated terminals anywhere. People who claim to be professional and use chocolate block and those vile in line chop things ought to be burned at the stake. You can buy nice non-insulated terminals that look and work just right for pennies (less then those Halfrauds quality insulated ones) so there is no excuse for using them.

In my experience the non insulated ones take longer to crimp correctly and fit the seperate insulating sleeves then slide it over the finished connection. That's why businesses use them to save money.

i was starting to wonder that

how easy is it to swap the cabs over as the paint of the name maud would be the only identifing marks

Not very easy - and I painted the name back on!! The hull I have is the donor hull that was supposed to take all the parts from the wrecked one. I'm beginning to think very little was actually changed - the wheels, an airpack (after I insisted), the roof light, mirror arms brackets - sort of!!

Not very easy, only thing they have swapped is the number plates.

Not quite - but not far off - see above....

neil it seems strange but the people who did the work have another one there ready to drive away

was yours mk1 as that is what they are selling with a few bumps on the front

No mate - mine was a later Mk 2 with the sealed glazing, donor hull is an early Mk 2 with bolted-in glazing.

As doubtless Lee will tell when he posts todays pictures as proof we think the N/S front wheel station wishbones might be ever so slightly seized... Which made getting the shock absorber refitted "interesting" to say the least. Also found the throttle slave cylinder was piddling fluid out of it and whatever the electrical senor is on the O/S rear of the B81 cylinder head has been replaced with something and the connector bodged with a LUCAR. Got a new seal the other day from Banisters but had to ring him back today to order the boot as well as that was in terminal condition.

:argh:

On the plus side we got all 4 wheel stations back together today - no mean feat in the heat we had!!! Got a day off tomorow as I've been asked to take the Bentley to a Enthusiasts day at Fords Dunton plant. Work will resume on Thursday. For now we still have no idea where the hydraulic oil leak is thats draining the main tank - hoping when we start her again it will reveal itself.